Bits: new Qatar 241 deals (Sydney from €2,100), 30% bonus when you buy Hyatt points

News in brief:

More good Qatar Airways deals launched

Qatar Airways has launched another batch of 241 business class deals.  As well as being great deals, you will earn Avios and British Airways tier points as Qatar is a oneworld partner.

The UK deals can be found here.  The deals are OK, such as Dubai for £1,300 and Maldives for £1,700, but we have seen better.  Not all deals are listed annoyingly so you may need to run some quotes.

Germany has some OK deals as you can see here.  Bangkok is around €1,400 per person.  Sydney is €2,100.  It is also worth checking out other starting points if you have a specific destination in mind, eg Amsterdam offersParis offers.  Istanbul is also worth a look for Sydney although Germany is worth the premium for convenience I think.

You need to book by 23rd May 2016 for travel from 1st September 2016 to 15th May 2017.

Qatar A350

30% bonus when you buy Hyatt points

Until 15th June, Hyatt is offering another 30% bonus when you buy Gold Passport points.

This is obviously worth a look if you need to top up your account.  It may also be worthwhile if considering a stay in a top tier Park Hyatt such as the ones in Paris or Sydney, where buying the points may be cheaper than paying cash.

The new Park Hyatt resort in Mallorca will also be opening this Summer and looks very impressive.   Prices are a little scary (rooms from Euro 720, or Euro 900 if you want a cancellable one) so a redemption at 20,000 points per night ($360) would be a good deal.

The Hyatt ‘buy points’ site is here.

What is the best FREE Visa or MasterCard for earning miles and points?
Hilton launches The Big World sale for Summer weekends

1. Thomas says:

BRU-DXB for 1900 euro for two! Tht is £750 per pax! Bonus!

• Thomas, what code did you used. Having trouble finding the Oz deals….coming up as biz promo in red, is that the fare that is supposed to be 241? Thnx

2. O/T £30 off £100 @ Selfridges, targeted – they sell giftcards

3. Looks like Finnair are pricematching from some European cities to some of their East Asian destinations

• But Finnair have massively hiked their LHR-BKK fares from £1309 to circa £1850 in the last week.

In line with others admittedly, who have also jacked up fares by around 30% to 50% as well.

4. Frankie says:

Thanks Raffles. Just booked my 2 ex Europe to Bangkok biz, post Christmas that I’ve been hanging on for. 2 seats from CPH to BKK return with QR for £1070 each. Less than 2 hour stopover. 30th Dec – 15th Jan. Fab!

5. I can’t seem to find “Maldives for £1,700”, nor an indication of 2-4-1 (it’s just reduced prices that I can see).. am I missing something?

6. I can’t get the Qatar fares to work at all… Seems to be pricing up normally however I do it. Is a code needed?

• Make sure you book 2 passengers, not 1…

• Also, these fares seem to go quite fast, the cheapo ex-AMS fare to BKK seems to be >1300 euros for 2017, still cheap but not the 1100-ish as quoted on the Amsterdam page,

• Frankie says:

There are still biz fares (at least for Jan 2017) available to BKK ex CPH for approx 10,000 kroner per person which is about £1040 per person (you DO need to book for 2 people though to get this fare it seems)

7. OT – looking to use my BA 241 lhr- sfo lax-lhr. What are the chances of getting F for the LAX-LHR leg, is it a case of being on the phone at midnight?

• I think you’ve answered your own question.

• although when my niece did similar I think she could not phone until 0830.

• It’s 1am at the moment! :)

• F will not necessarily appear 355 days out. Guarantee is 2 CW and 4 Eco.

• I’ve been checking this route most days for about 3 months and they never appear. I spoke to BA when I rang them recently and they said they don’t release them at 355 days out but to keep checking them as they may release them at a later date.

• I’m going to have to do this if I have any chance of using my BA 2-4-1 for a Sydney return in Dec ’17 or Jan ’18, else I’ll have to think of an alternative destination at relatively short notice.

8. Frankie says:

I didn’t bother with the two for one deal. Just tried booking from various EU airports to BKK. Copenhagen is still showing some great deals. And the herring bone seating for 3 out of the 4 flights (as long as there’s no plane change….)

9. Qatar virgin says:

Word of warning with Qatar – I managed to get one of the cheap Qatar business class flights from Pisa to Auckland over xmas a week or so ago. Since then the route (DOH – AKL) has been delayed. Qatar customer services are terrible to say the least. They changed my ticket (without telling me) to be DOH – SYD, but worse than that, my PSA to DOH lands after my DOH – SYD departs so its not a viable option. Qatar are only offering a refund they wont work with me in regards to looking at other departure dates or cities. Its the same situation on the way home. Qatar are not entertaining any other option other than to cancel. This type of practice doesn’t seem uncommon with Qatar. If they make a mistake they appear to bully you into cancelling (eg costing them nothing) rather than honoring the tickets you purchased, there is no attempt to work with the customer on other options.

10. Don’t miss that 40% off code on Etihad

Seems to have got a bit lost – cheap flights to lots of great destinations with a top 5 airline

11. Completely O/T – forgive me my sins lol

Free – legal, official, courtesy BT – streaming of Europa Final

12. Frankie says:

Does anyone know if I will automatically get my BA avios and BA tier points from booking two R class business class flights yesterday with Qatar from CPH to BKK? I just put my BA exec number into the Qatar website when booking. Also anyone know how many avios I’ll get per flight? Thanks in advance for any answers on this..

• Go to Ba miles calculator on the right panel, it will tell you clearly. I know you get 560 TPs anyway, v close to obtaining silver, then you must do 4 paid sectors 2 return flights, any class, on BA to obtain your silver status. Enjoy. We did the exact same trip but to HKT last year,a no it’s such a comfortable flight.

• Frankie says:

• Frankie says:

Just one final question. If my ‘Tier Point Collection Year’ ends on 1st Feb 2017 and I take this flight in January (return on 15th) Does that mean I’ll have 560 tier points ONLY for a couple of weeks until 1st Feb and then I’m back to zero? (so pointless for me really due to the timings?)

• Yes I am afraid so :-( However, if you can get 40 Tier Points & 4 sectors on BA before you fly to BKK then you will qualify for Silver in the current year, which will then last the 2 weeks plus the following year i.e. until Feb 2018.

13. Just booked CPH-BKK-CDG for £995/pp for November! DOH-CDG is on A380, just hope it doesn’t get swapped.

CPH-BKK or ARN-BKK was coming out at around £910 on certain dates.

HEL-BKK was a good price too I think around £880/pp. HEL-DOH is A320 though.

Lowest I saw was PSA-BKK for around £800/pp. However, PSA-DOH is A320 and the seat map was indicating it has the old reclining business class seats.

14. StephenH says:

Somewhat OT, could someone please tell me how long it normally takes for tier points/Avios from Qatar flights to post to BAEC? Cheers.

• Qatar Airways flights normally post to BA Executive Club on a Wednesday. It seems the latest file wasn’t received or processed by BA – I flew QR the end of last week and my my points haven’t posted yet. A number of people on other websites have reported not having any points (for QR flights) posting to their accounts this week.