BA launches a quadruple Avios deal with Hilton – and why you SHOULDN’T sign up

Last week I wrote about the ‘quadruple Avios’ promotion which Iberia has launched in association with Hilton.

British Airways has now launched its own version of the offer as you can see here.

The terms of the deal are identical:

earn double Avios on your first stay

earn triple Avios on your second stay

earn quadruple Avios on your third and subsequent stays

….. until the end of August.

You earn 1 Avios point for every $1 you spend.

However, you should not sign up to this offer.

Hilton Amsterdam Schiphol

Five years after the launch of Avios, Hilton has still not aligned the earnings rate between Iberia and British Airways.

With BA, you earn 1 Avios for every $1 spent

With Iberia, you earn 15 Avios for every $10 spent

You are 50% better off taking Avios in Iberia Plus and then transferring them to BA.

The ONLY exception is this.  There is a cap of 1,000 Avios (pre bonus) per stay with Iberia.  The British Airways cap is 10,000 Avios.  If you will spend more than $1,000, you should credit to BA as you will be better off.

The link to the Iberia offer is here.  Remember to set your Hilton HHonors earning preference to ‘points and miles’ with Iberia Plus as your airline programme of choice.

Earn double points too!

We now know that this promotion doubles up with the current Unlimited Bonus double points offer.

As well as registering for bonus Avios, you should also register for Unlimited Bonus via this link.  I wrote about Unlimited Bonus here.

You will then earn double points for the points bit of ‘points and miles’ as well as double, triple or quadruple miles.  That is not a bad return on your forthcoming Hilton nights.

The LoungeKey airport lounges you can enter with the new HSBC Premier World Elite MasterCard
Bits: Alex Cruz interview, Aer Lingus 'to rejoin oneworld', Oman Air to Manchester

1. Thanks for this Rob, will be leaving mine set to Iberia, that’s why your extra analysis is valued by your readership.

ps Has CapeFox left the building? That was pretty an early hour yesterday…

• Glad I was up early enough to see that yesterday before presumably removed… Gave me a chuckle over my crunchy nut. Someone clearly wanted all the new route redemptions to themselves :-)

2. Typo – “With Iberia, you earn 1.5 Avios for every $10 spent” not 15

3. Thank you Rob, very useful. On the Hilton subject, going in Sept to the US (Business class using the BA AMEX PP voucher). Since my partner and I have hit the spending limit for this year’s voucher too, I was considering just using our Hilton H platinum card for all our spending to redeem Hilton points in hotels stays in September, is that a good move or are AMEX PP avios more valuable? Thank you!

• Genghis says:

Using the Hilton card as your only means of earning HH points will mean lots of spend for very little points gain (valuing Hilton points at 0.3p the card is 0.6% back). Perhaps sign up to another card and use that spend to earn another sign up bonus (where your return is more like 10-15%)

4. Or in fact

Typo – “With BA, you earn 10 Avios for every $1 spent”

5. OK I read it all again and please ignore my comments – its too early on a Saturday morning for me!!!

• Hehe are you Jeremy Hunt posting under a pseudonym, he seemed to have trouble with arithmetic first thing in the morning 😛

For consistency might have been easier as 1.5 per $, but core message is still lots more Avios going down the IB route :) Double base Hilton points stacking is also as expected based on similar promos previously but certainly most welcome – much easier to get decent chunks on a few stays without tricky targets, unlike IHG Accelerate (even if it does have a higher overall amount available).

6. Slighty OT-Can you use the free hilton voucher on avthursdsy night? And is the Waldorf Astoria a worthwhile redemption for it?

7. On the subject of the free night voucher with Hilton visa, my wife and I separately earned the the free night voucher two years ago. In April this year, we both applied again. My wife has hit the £750 spend threshold and five days later the free night certificate appeared in her account. I qualified earlier this week so fingers crossed I get my free night as well. It appears that the ” free night reward certificate will only be awarded for first time applicants” is not being strictly enforced.

• Genghis says:

Did you apply before the Ts and Cs changed?

• i don’t think so. I have found the accompanying leaflet that came with both cards and it does mention the fact that the free night is only available for first time applicants.

• Good news and kinda what we hoped based on previous Barclaycard IT competence :)

8. The limit where it makes sense to switch to BA is $1,500, not $1,000

“If you will spend more than $1,000, you should credit to BA as you will be better off”

• No it isn’t! $1001 gets you 1,001 BA Avios but, due to the cap, 1,000 IB Avios.

• If you have several stays planned I assume you can’t switch between BA and Iberia?
        1st stay $200 = 300 iberia avios
        2nd stay $200 = 600 iberia avios
        3rd stay $1500 = 4000 iberia avios?

If you switched to BA for the 3rd stay would it only count as your 1st stay, therefore only double Avios i.e. 3000 Avios?

• Hmm …. good question!

• Based on previous Hilton promos I’d imagine the bonus campaigns are treated separately so a stay for one didn’t count as a stay for the other but wouldn’t know for certain unless someone had plenty of stays and could try it out I guess!

• so $1,000 cap applies pre or post bonus?

• The 1000 IB avios per stay is definitely pre-bonus as I have earned over 1000 IB avios in a single stay before due to various offer/status bonuses.

9. John thrussell says:

How about the IHG accelerate? Just had my sign-up and looks quite good.

10. Mine is exactly the same as last time – I checked with them and they said that can happen. It’s not very exciting so I’m not going for it this quarter.

11. Stuart says:

If you leave your Hilton option on points and points, does the offer double base points or both points?

Essentially what are you give up for quad Avios?

• You’re only giving up 5 HHonors per USD – the p+p vs p+m amount. You’ll still get the double base points promo.

12. Relaxo says:

Can I switch to points and miles if my original settings were points & points upon signing up to honors?

• Yes, you can switch at any time.

• Yes, via your profile

• Absolutely – you’ve got until 23:59 MST on the day of checkout to change your earning option. Beware though that your airline earning preference is dependent on your preferred airline programme at the time of booking so if you want to change it you need to do so at the hotel at check-in/check-out.

13. aceman says:

i have my first hilton stay coming up (just 2 nights), wanting to generate hilton points for the future, I’ve just set my earning to hilton only, is that best, or will I just end up with the same points regardless of double dipping?

• Alex W says:

If you are only doing one stay during the period you are giving up 2x 1.5 IB avios per $ for 5 HH per $ if you choose points and points. You would get more value out of the Avios even if you only stay once. Obviously much more value in the avios of you get 3x or 4x.

14. Do we know for certain we get the double base points and the bonus avios?

15. Chris Cannon says:

Hi Rob,

just double checking the Hilton Iberia cap of 1000 is pre bonus, so in fact you can earn over 1000 in total with bonus?

16. Cuchlainn says:

I changed my profile HHonors Double Dip Points and Miles to Iberia as my preferred “Travel Partner”, as per Raffles article above – thanks Rob.

As I do not normally use Hilton I forgot I had 37K HHonors points sitting in my account. After several tedious emails to Hilton CS they have finally confirmed that Iberia is not part of their Exchange Program – any ideas other than converting 30K HHonors to 3K Avios, ?

• Probably better making use of them for a cheap hotel night (they do points and cash) than converting I think.