The LoungeKey airport lounges you can enter with the new HSBC Premier World Elite MasterCard

On Thursday, we published exclusive details on the new HSBC Premier World Elite MasterCard.  Luckily for us, all of those details appear to have been correct!

The official website for the card is now available at as you can see here.  The representative APR, which I didn’t know on Thursday, is 59.3% APR variable and 18.9% APR variable for purchases, based on an annual fee of £195 and a credit limit of £1,200.

To remind you of the points benefits, you get:

40,000 points (20,000 miles) for signing up and spending £2,000 within 3 months

40,000 points (20,000 miles) for spending £12,000 in your first 12 months

2 points (1 mile) for every £1 you spend – this makes it by far the best Avios MasterCard or Visa product

4 points (2 miles) for every £1 you spend outside the UK

You can take your ‘miles’ as either Avios, Cathay Pacific miles, Singapore Airlines miles or Etihad Guest miles.

HSBC Premier World Elite

The card also comes with airport lounge access.

This is via an exclusive MasterCard company called LoungeKey.  You can access their website here.

What is interesting about LoungeKey is that you simply show your World Elite MasterCard at the door.  There is no separate membership card.  However, you must have registered your HSBC card via this link first.

No free guests are allowed.  However, you can get a supplementary card for your HSBC Premier World Elite MasterCard for a £60 annual fee and that person can then access lounges with that.

Across Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Southend and Luton, the following lounges are covered:

Gatwick:  No 1 Lounge (North), MyLounge (North), Aspire (North), No 1 Lounge (South)

Luton:  Aspire

Southend:  Skylife

Heathrow:  Plaza Premium (T2 Arrivals, T2 Departures, T4 Departures), SkyTeam (T4), No 1 Lounge (T3),

Stansted:  The Escape Lounge

I don’t mention Southend for a laugh.  I mention it because, due to its inclusion, along with the SkyTeam T4 and No 1 Heathrow T3 lounges, LoungeKey has a better offering the Lounge Club, which comes with American Express Preferred Rewards Gold.  It is marginally weaker than Priority Pass but only because it doesn’t include the Aspire lounge in Heathrow Terminal 5.

(The full list of UK lounges covered by Lounge Club and Priority Pass is here.)

The HSBC Premier World Elite MasterCard is not clearly better than American Express Platinum if you want a card with lounge access.  It is cheaper (£255 for the HSBC card with one supplementary card vs £450 for Amex Platinum) but the Amex Platinum package has far more benefits – Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Eurostar lounge access etc etc (see my review for details). For some people, however, it will be the right choice.

Thanks to reader Rob for his help.

Win 1 million Avios if you convert Tesco vouchers into this quarter
BA launches a quadruple Avios deal with Hilton - and why you SHOULDN'T sign up

1. So:
    No travel insurance
    2.99% foreign spend loading fee
    18.9% interest
    No extended warranty like the free version of the card

It’s a no from me

• Honkytonk says:

I believe travel insurance and extended warranty comes with being a Premier customer rather than with the card. And you have to be a Premier member to apply for the card.

2. Any partial refund on the fee – ie take it just to get the sign up bonus?

• Aspirational Flyer says:

I don’t think so – the HSBC website describes the annual fee as “non refundable”.

3. Most important restriction for me (and I suspect many other readers of this blog) is: UK residents only. Doesn’t make sense, as the regular HSBC Premier MC is open to non-residents, and if you have a Premier account HSBC should already have your credit record. Shame, as it means those of us living overseas lose out again (apart from the Amex ICC of course). Do any other of the many non-UK residents of this blog know of any other cards which will accept overseas applicants?

• Flyingbee says:

Counts me out then, although I wonder if I can manage it with a UK mailing address. If not then I will get the regular Premier MC.
      No T5 lounge access and no guests makes it less attractive for me (usually travelling through T5 as a family of 4).

• It seems that if you are non-UK resident but hold a Premier relationship, you may be available to apply through HSBC Expat (i.e. Guernsey) –

Otherwise if you have an existing relationship with Amex in a fairly prominent jurisdiction, my experience is that they will allow you to apply for a UK-issued Amex as long as you have a UK address and a UK bank account. They’ll look at your credit history and income declared when you applied for an Amex in your “home country”.

• Sorry, that should read Isle of Man, not Guernsey.

• Great. Many thanks for spotting this. I am an HSBC Expat customer and will apply through them. But what did you mean about Amex accepting your application as long as you have a UK address? Surely if you’re resident overseas, that’s not your real address? Or are you suggesting Amex simply don’t care!

• When I applied I maintained a property in the UK and hence had a residential address to declare on the application. I suppose that, in theory, you could always put a family member’s address as long as you don’t mind them holding onto your mail/statements! I figure that it’s probably more important that you have a bank account in the UK because that’s (in theory) more financially-concrete than a holding address or rented property (unless you happen to own said property).

If I remember correctly we had to provide tax returns as proof of income but even then it was a foreign tax return mailed to a foreign residential address (in the home country in which the “original”/”main” Amex relationship is held)! This was back in 2013(ish) though… not sure if things have been tightened up then, particularly in terms of KYC requirements.

4. Stuart says:

Sounds like it is worth considering using this instead of Amex Premium Plus.

5. pauldb says:

I don’t think I could cope with another boring black credit card. Currently all the cards I’m using day to day are the same colour, making it fiddly to pull out the right one: firstdirect debit, Tesco world, 2 BAPP Amexs, Curve.

6. Thanks, Rob. Just phoned HSBC and ordered one, which I was approved for – phone call took 20 minutes. They’re sending the application letter in the post, which I just need to fill in some information, sign and return and they will then upgrade my existing HSBC Premier Mastercard within 12 working days.

To repeat what I said in the original thread, this card is for me to pay HMRC and also to use whilst Curve continue to impose their £5k/m limit on me.

• I think we will both( Mr and Mrs Yuff) be calling HSBC this morning and upgrading our cards. 2 points per £ is very handy for those who don’t have the old BMI card.
      Between us we spend 6 figures on the MasterCard so £390 for 150k etihad miles seems pretty good value to me, albeit at the increased reward rate it will be more.

• AHCL20 says:

I thought 2 HSBC points = 1 Avios?

So 2 points = 1 Avios with the new card, is equivalent to 1 pound – 1 Avios.

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong!

• No you’re right :(
          Hmmm not so good now, so just getting what I was getting 6 months ago but with a £195 fee :(

• Actually the bonuses might just swing it, plus I wonder if spending in Guernsey( I visit fairly frequently) you get the double bonus?

• Looks like they fixed that “UK includes the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man” and “Earn two points for every £1 of eligible spend in Sterling currency and earn four points for every £1 of eligible spend in non-Sterling.”

• Just called HSBC premier and I was told letters are going out from the 24th May to all current card holders, with details of the new card, and all you need to do is call up and they will upgrade your card.

• Even easier, I think I saw a form on the website to input the code from the letter so phonecall won’t be necessary :)

7. Any idea if you can take out the card, get the bonus, cancel it but still use it to get lounge access? Do you just need to flash it like the Amex Plat for the Eurostar lounge or do they swipe it to check it’s still active? Just a thought 😉

• Assuming that your card has 2-3 years expiry date, it is possible (like Amex Plat and Eurostar) that you could cancel it after the first year and continue to flash it at lounges for another couple of years.

MasterCard presumably is recharged for the lounge visits though, so I assume some record is taken of your card number even if the card isn’t swiped. We’d need to wait until someone uses it and we know how it is processed.

(Eurostar does not track card numbers, but that is one company who presumably gets a flat fee from Amex each year. 500 airport lounges probably have 300 different owners between them.)

Once I get my letter I think I will give this a go, albeit I might push the miles into Singapore or Etihad.

• Mine will be going to Etihad, hopefully with the Christmas 25% bonus they’ve had the last 2 years 😉

• Rob how easy are Singapore Airline redemptions with Kris Flyer – we will be going to Oz in 2-3 yrs time and hope to use 2-4-1 to get to and from Singapore but would love to do one leg from BNE to SIN with Singapore in business. Don’t want to start saving then find I can’t get a redemption to connect with the BA flight home. With a couple of Amex churns we could get the 55k miles each for one trip.

• Meant to be excellent with their own miles but tricky with partner miles. I had no issue getting 4 bus last year to SIN on exact day we needed it. I think you can search without a balance if you sign up.

• Ok great – thanks for the quick reply – I signed up last week and have been playing around with different options!

• Can you transfer MR points from 2 different accounts into one KrisFlyer account or would we need to save up 55k each from 2 MR accounts to 2 KF accounts.

• From different people? The rules say No. In practice it depends how SQ checks. Matching surnames may be good enough for it to slip through. Some schemes do not even seem to do name verification so anything gets through.

• Ok thanks Rob – lots to plan and think about!

8. Does the Natwest Reward Black Mastercard include lounge key? It doesn’t say it does unless you have the current account but it does hae the same silver logo and Masterard page suggests it might?

9. I wonder..can I lie about the annual income?
    (E.g.: get pdf bank statement, change the amounts…?)

• Absolutely not

• Sorry James I did not mean whether I should do it or not.
        It was more whether it would work or not.
        Nice to see a person with morals though, well done! 😉

• Yes, it may or may not work, and it also happens to be fraud

• Definitely not. Fraud is fraud. Criminal offences = gaol.

However, they won’t actually ask for bank statements.

Neither does Amex.

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

I don’t have any particular knowledge of HSBC’s underwriting or fraud strategies, but credit applications incomes can be cross-checked against other applications from the same individual. In addition, some credit bureaux supply estimates of individuals’ incomes. Discrepancies on either of these could lead to an application being flagged for manual review or declined. Worst-case scenario would be picking up a fraud marker against your name.

• First off, that would be committing a fraudulent act and now t something you want to do – it’s just not worth it as it would likely have a negative impact on your ability to enter into a contract (mobile phone, utilities, etc), get any kind of financial product or mortgage for many years due to your actions being recorded on CIFAS & National Hunter.

You really need to take time out and read this guide on everything you need to know about credit checks and crucially, how to boost your credit score – so you’re likely to be accepted for products & get the best rates too.

10. Johnny5a says:

Q: Do supplementary cards have to pay £60? We’re not interested in the lounge pass as we already have PP?

11. Does the card also include the concierge service?
    The mastercard site claims to do so ( but no mention of it from HSBC…

• just called them… what is on mastercard wedbsite doesn’t apply to this card. Only what is on HSBC’s website.

12. Has anyone already received their card? If so, could they check exactly what benefits the card entitles to, according to either the welcome package or by entering the first 6 digits of the card on

From that MC website, using 543458 (which is simply HSBC UK’s Premier MC issuer identifier) lists a number of partners that grant elite status, including Abercrombie & Kent, which offers a comprehensive concierge service.

Keen to know before I take the plunge, but, if confirmed, strong selling point. Even if, bizarrely, those benefits aren’t listed on HSBC’s website.

• Northern Lad says:

Info as requested below. Bizarrely/annoyingly on HMRC payment website it states “These aren’t the first 8 numbers of a MasterCard credit card – try again” when you enter first 8 digits of the card, which you need to do to calculate the fee – any thoughts?

VIP Privileges & Offers

“World Elite MasterCard opens up a world of privileges from exceptional travel and lifestyle brands including luxury hotels, private jets, fine wine, golf, spa and VIP shopping.

Experience life’s more memorable moments with VIP Privileges, around the world.
      ABERCROMBIE & KENT > Combine adventure and luxury for an exclusive holiday FAIRMONT HOTELS > VIP status, late check out and other superb benefits at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts CHIC OUTLET SHOPPING VILLAGES Enjoy a VIP experience shopping at one of many Chic Outlet Shopping Villages HERTZ Free car upgrade and exclusive benefits when you hire a car from Hertz RAFFLES HOTELS > VIP status, room upgrade on arrival, complimentary breakfast & late checkout SWISSÔTEL HOTELS > VIP status, late check out and other superb benefits SIXT Hire a car or limousine from Sixt and receive exclusive benefits STARWOOD HOTELS Buy two nights and receive the third night free at Starwood hotels and resorts SMALL LUXURY HOTELS Experience unbeatable luxury and enjoy a third night for free THE LEADING HOTELS OF THE WORLD Enjoy a stay at some of the world’s best hotels and enjoy free membership of the Leaders Club”

• Northern Lad says:

I’ve spoken to HSBC and the issue apparently is that MasterCard’s commence with 5434 but this card starts with 5199 – they will look into this and advised me to speak to hmrc. On doing this, it was established that the payment could be made over the phone. They confirmed the rate was 0.606% and it’s being classed as MasterCard Signia Premium Credit Card.

• I received my card today. MasterCard World Elite website doesn’t recognise it. LongeKey website doesn’t recognise it either, although the authorisation seems to have gone through. Called HSBC, they don’t know why. Called LoungeKey, they don’t have a clue either.
      Nice start, will see how it continues…

• I know the answer to this. You need to register your HSBC card via a special page on the LoungeKey website. If you go back to my article on the lounges you can access with LoungeKey, I have added in a link to the relevant page.

However, it will not be live for a few more days. Until then, HSBC will refund you any lounge access fees you pay out of your own pocket for LoungeKey lounges.

• Laszlo says:

I tried to register again, but got an error message, same as yesterday.
          “The payment card provided is invalid. Please try again or contact your bank. REF: LK023”

• Hmmm, just got mine today, getting the same error message here. Though, to be fair, the services booklet does say on p. 5: “You don’t even need to activate this benefit – it’s ready to use straightaway.”

By the way, for anyone trying to figure out how to log onto iPass Wi-Fi, I stumbled across the activation page by pure chance – it’s

It seems to require a “voucher code” that, according to the website’s FAQs, is somewhere in the letter that was sent with the card. No idea which one of the three strings of random numbers and letters on mine might be… More interestingly, perhaps, is the statement that “The iPass service is offered to qualifying HSBC Premier World Elite™ MasterCard® holders for 12 months from the date your voucher is issued.”

So apparently that benefit lasts for 1 year only!

13. I notice on the T&Cs they are calling the second set of 40k points the ‘First Anniversary’ bonus – so it might be delivered on the anniversary of opening, and conditional upon paying the fee for a second year. I can’t think of any other reason to call it a First Anniversary bonus…