Bits: Starbucks / Amex offer, 10% off Emirates via HSBC, Iberia / Groupon issues?,

News in brief:

Starbucks cashback offer with American Express

Over at Shopper Points today are details of a Starbucks / American Express cashback offer.

I am delighted to say that the rules are so badly worded that the combined brain power of Anika and myself has failed to agree on what they mean.  The maximum rebate is definitely £5 though.  Or is it?!  Full details are here.  Note that only Amex-issued Amex cards are valid and not Barclays / Lloyds / TSB / MBNA versions.

Emirates A380

10% off Emirates tickets for HSBC customers

This is the last week to benefit from a 10% discount on Emirates economy and business class tickets for HSBC customers.

You need to:

use promo code UKHSBC6 at the Emirates website

fly from the UK

book by 31st May

travel by 30th November

pay with an HSBC debit or credit card (not sure if this is checked or not as the discount is applied as soon as you enter the code)

Note that it is “not applicable on any other ad hoc promotional fare offer” so it is possible that the cheapest economy tickets may be excluded.  Thanks to Stephen.

Groupon logo

Groupon / Iberia problems?

Finally, a reader contacted me who is still having problems with Avios points not being credited to her Iberia Plus account from the recent Groupon promotion.

If you are also still having issues – or, even better, if you were having issues but found someone to solve them – please post in the comments.

Tesco to launch a (pretty terrible) £150 Premium credit card
Curve card 'pauses' Amex functionality

1. Sideshow Bob says:

OT: haven’t seen any mention of the soon to be launched Tesco premium credit card in any hfp articles yet.

“For the Premium Credit Card you collect 1 Clubcard point for every £1 spent (£1 minimum) in Tesco and 1 point for every £4 spent (£4 minimum) outside Tesco in each purchase transaction.”

…in return for £150 annual fee. So this answers what is Tesco’s response to the new cap

2. In December I bought a significant number of these packages and by April 16′ I was still missing 40,000 Avois.

Over 30 emails to Groupon and months of patience. Their general reply email “we are looking into it,……pls. give another 15 days”. Groupon utterly useless

Solution: give it a couple of weeks, if the Avios still haven’t posted, private message the Iberia Facebook page. The will likely ask you for, date of purchase, your Iberia number and the codes for each voucher. Someone else tried this and it also worked for me.

Hope it works for you!

• What was worrying in the recent ‘repeat’ promotion was that either IB or Groupon (can’t remember which) changed the T&Cs to say they would not enter into correspondence about any problems arising. Unbelievable.

So you would have been well advised to pay through PayPal, who have an absolutely excellent problem resolution process, online so easy, and very quick to give you back your money. Or else just be quick to start chargeback once your patence runs out.

• Mikeact says:

Thanks, this for me, has been worse than the Curve debacle!
      My purchase went through fine, my wife’s. ….nothing. Many emails to Groupon es resulting in a patronising ‘be patient ‘attitude. It’s now been what, 4/5 weeks?
      I know it’s not going to break the bank ( mine), but annoying all the same.

3. Any mention of thee BA buy Avios offer?

4. Andrew Stock says:

The Starbucks amex offer, my take on it was:

Spend £3 and get £1back, and you can do this 5 times to get the max £5 back.

• But what if you spend £6 in one visit? Do you get £2 back or is each visit capped at £1?

And is it a one-time only use? ie do you have to spend £15 in your first visit to get the full value?

The T&Cs aren’t clear.

• The_Real_A says:

No AMEX offers all work the same way. They are per transaction, so you would receive £1 back for any transaction over £3. And you can make up to 5 transactions.

• As Raffles says, the wording of this offer is ambiguous.

The T&Cs state “a £1 statement credit for EACH £3 of spend” (my emphasis) which implies that a £15 spend in one visit would trigger the maximum £5 back.

They probably MEANT the offer to be £1 back per £3+ visit for up to 5 visits but the wording is not explicit.

• With respect, it’s not ambiguous at all.

The use of the word “each”, implies, quite clearly to me, something that is ‘separate’.

Therefore it would clearly require five separate purchases of £3+ to get the full £5 credit.

• loiclh says:

Just tried it: two separate transactions of £1.89 each (one this morning, the other 10 min ago). Just received an email from Amex saying that I had redeemed my Starbucks offer.

• You see, it is confusing because there is no indication that should happen!

• so it’s cumulative & doesn’t rely on a single transaction over £3

might not mean you can do 1x £15 top up, though

• I needed to put money on my Starbucks app anyway, so I topped up £10 three times. Got three different offer redemption emails. If it counted multiple £3s within a purchase, I should’ve only received two.

• …by the way, £10 is the minimu top up using the app but I think the minimum is £5 on the website if you can be bothered.

• Paul Quinn says:

If you happen to live in Northern Ireland, Starbucks does Not accept Amex. (The NI stores are owned by an Irish franchise – so I was told)

5. O/T interesting poll on MSE about flight compo

For BA we get:
    British Airways (3807 votes)
    I won – the airline just paid up 1326 votes (35%)
    I won – but I had to fight (eg, appealed to the CAA/other body) 162 votes (4%)
    I lost – but I didn’t appeal to the CAA/other body 483 votes (13%)
    I lost – after appeal to the CAA/other body 76 votes (2%)
    It’s still ongoing 1760 votes (46%)

It means that out of the total resolved cases (2047), BA paid compo in 73% of the claims.

More data for other airlines in the poll.

6. I had similar problems. I first approached Groupon and Iberia but both failed to credit the avios. I then lodged a complaint with the European consumer protection centre. The avios bought were eventually credited 4 months after I redeemed the Groupon.

7. Had problem with Iberia/Groupon … basically I redeemed 5 vouchers but only 2 were posted and only 2 marked as redeemed … I ‘spoke’ via only chat on groupon … they suggested to let them redeem them for me i.e. gave my iberia number … which worked fine this time

So from my experience … online chat is the best option for customer support

• Groupon/Iberia

Folks – whatever vibes you’ve all collectively sent out have worked, as since this morning my Groupon avios have been credited without my actually needing to put in place the chasing actions that have been suggested to me.

No sign yet of the bonus purchase avios, although I did receive emails at the time confirming that I’d get these. Anyway – the bulk of the issue has been sorted. Thanks so much.

Raffles and his readers are a brilliant group of people! Thanks all.

• I’ve looked again today at my Avios balance on Iberia and the points that WERE there on the 25 May are no longer visible, although I do have 96 of the “bonus” avios for the Groupon purchase, although not the full amount (as I placed 5 separate transactions). So back to square 1 – wish that I had taken a screen shot!

Will follow up on your suggestions. Serena

8. Bought only one Groupon, it didn’t go through, Groupon were useless. Gave up and did a dispute through PayPal and got my money back.

9. Totally OT but anyone have advice on what to do with miles from KLM flight for someone who rarely flies with them or Air France? Can you credit them elsewhere?

10. Starbucks- Received my £5 discount from amex on my acc , topped up via the app with £15 total credit

11. Jeremy Gautrey says:

I bought 2000 and 4000 via groupon on 18th April. The 4000 was credited quite quickly, however still waiting for the 2000 avoid to credit. Does anybody know what to do to get them to credit it?

12. My Avios hadn’t posted either at the start of May. I sent Iberia a private message on Facebook and they got them to post within a week or two. Very responsive and easy to deal with.

13. robert says:

Rob, no problem with getting the avios credited but still waiting for the bonus avios to come thru. anyone got any idea how long this takes. do they go directly to Iberia plus or do you have to do something with the groupon account?