LAST CHANCE: Buy Hilton HHonors points with 100% bonus!

TODAY, 10th June, is the last day to take advantage of the current 100% bonus when you buy Hilton HHonors points – see this page and click through.

Even with a 100% bonus, it is not a slam dunk to buy.  It may or may not be a bargain depending on how you redeem them.  If you buy the full amount, you can buy 160,000 Hilton points for $800.  That is 0.5 cents each.

Regular readers of Head for Points will know that I tend to value Hilton points at 0.3p each, which is roughly what you are paying here.

Hilton Syon Park 3

Five star Hilton, Conrad and Waldorf-Astoria hotels typically run to 80,000 points per night.  In this sale, you would be paying $400 for 80,000 points which is roughly what you would be paying for a five star in a major city.  This is not a bargain.

However, Hilton HHonors IS a decent deal at cheaper point levels.   The Hampton by Hilton in Sheffield, for example (photo below) is 10,000 points per night.  At 0.5c per point you would be paying roughly £35 per night if you bought the points.  That is a 65% discount on the typical nightly rate of £100.  Hampton properties include free breakfast as well.  The new Hampton by Hilton in Newcastle is also just 10,000 points per night.

If you thinking of heading to The Maldives, you should buy as many points as you can between your partner and yourself.  I know that Michael, who wrote our Conrad Rangali review, has done just that.

Hampton Hotel Sheffield

On the other hand, at a more mundane level, the Hilton Sheffield is 30,000 points per night.  Even with 50% off your points, you would be paying around £105.  Whilst a bit less than the typical £125 cash cost, it is not a fantastic deal – especially as you would earn points and miles back on the cash rate.

At the most extreme, you could buy the Hilton Salalah resort in Oman, reviewed here, for £17.50 a night assuming a 50% discount.  That would be the rough cost of buying 5,000 points in this promotion.

(Remember that if you have Hilton elite status, and you get Silver status just for taking out their free credit card, you get 5 redemption nights for the price of 4.  That takes the Hilton Salalah resort down to under £15 per night!)

What I can say is that you shouldn’t lose money buying Hilton HHonors points at 0.5 cents.  There should not be another major devaluation for a couple of years, given the severity of the 2013 changes, so I don’t see that as a risk.

If you just buying a handful of points to top off your account, the price per point doesn’t matter anyway.  If you a few thousand short of a redemption then this is a decent opportunity to top them up.

The link to buy is here.

Bits: 9,000 Thistle hotel rooms in London for £90, Norwegian launching low-cost Gatwick to Vegas
Does HFP have an 'anti-BA' bias?!

1. James67 says:

OT but still Hilton: for the benefit of those who missed my comment late on Tuesday, I confirm I received a Hilton free night via the credit card despite receiving one previously so new rule does not yet appear to be being universally imposed.

2. AndyGWP says:

This seems the quickest and cheapest way to keep my points alive before they expire next week :/

assume they drop into my account immediately?

• Andreas says:

I bought mine last week and they appeared within 24 hours, although they state it can take up to 48 hours.

• I bought some a few weeks ago, logged out and back in to my account and they were there.

• I just bought some, logged out and back in and they were too.

• AndyGWP says:

thanks all – was almost immediate for me (took a few hours)

…and then I read Raffles article on keeping points alive where I saw I could’ve just transferred some Amex MR points haha – oh well 😀 was only $10!

3. Johnnycl says:

Where is the first photo from?

4. Apart from the maldives any other really expensive hilton hotels?

Just don’t fancy a week sitting on a beach getting bored!

However have 400,000 to spend.

• Ian – How about the Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem.
      You can even fly Easyjet to TLV.

• James67 says:

I think the residence in Samui is generally the most expensive hotel to book standard rates for cash in Hilton portfolio. You get your own villa and pool. I don’t recall current redemption rates. However, you can book private homes with pools in Thailand that are awesome so probably better to use points elsewhere like Maldives where any comparable cash book8ngs are also very expensive IMHO.

• Lots of expensive ones but cost does not equate to value. The Holiday Inn Express on the roundabout in Wandsworth opposite the public dump is over £200 on peak nights but I don’t recommend that as a great redemption :-)

• Is one night enough for your 400,000?
      At the Stucky Molino, Venice (Italy) where we are staying on 9th Sept, a King Executive Suite with view is 269,355 points or EUR669. Or cash only you can have the Presidential Suite (288 square metres) for EUR8,789.
      We are staying in an ordinary room EUR299 and hoping for an upgrade for my Diamond status.

• Thanks!

Was really looking for nice hotels in some great locations that I can get good value for the points and then hopefully get upgraded. Not really planning on splashing out on a posh room at premium points – heck I can waste points doing that at a basic Hilton in the UK lol

Maldives is a good example, but not sure if there are others in say Asia or Far East etc……

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Tokyo Hilton and Conrad are both great (and the Osaka one was pretty good too). Conrad Singapore and Hong Kong supposed to be good as well.

• James67 says:

Just 40k will get you 5 nights doubletree kuala lumpur with view of twin towers. Another 80k gets you 5 nights doubletree Sukhumvit in Bangkok, still leaves you 280k to work with on Asia tour…Phuket, Vietnam, Hing Kong. Air Asia is cheap and great for getting around.

• Personally I find it varies a lot depending on when you want to go and what else is on. I considered using them in Aus and NZ but at the particular times I wanted to stay there were good cash deals on so I used them instead. By comparison for a Chicago trip in Nov when a conference is on the room rate is $500 (incl tax) or so per night and I’m getting it for 50k, night, thus getting about 0.6p/point value which is excellent in my view.

• Eastland Staveley says:

Mauritius. At 5 for 4 you pay 32k per night for a lovely hotel (been there for 10 days PAID before i knew miles and points etc even existed! Yikes!)
      Food is fantastic. beach a bit narrow. But lovely.
      400k will give you a nice 12 days without any cost so well worth it. Usually £250-300/n & easily worth that.

5. On the outskirts of Sheffield is the DoubleTree for 10,000 points. We stayed there recently and were very happy – nearly new, excellent room and restaurant etc.

• Just booked at a couple of nights here, bargain at 10,000 points! One of the nights was around £90 cash and I just bought 10k points for £35!

6. OT, but has anyone tried buying a Hilton gift card online to take advantage of an AmEx statement credit offer? Did it work? I have an offer that is due to expire and will be staying in Hiltons later this year, but not in a position to book anything quite yet.

7. Trying a bit around I can see available nights for New Years, e.g. three nights
    — 190,000 Total

I currently have a very low amount of points.
    When logging in it says “rate not available” – is this normal if you don’t have enough points? Should it be possible to book once logged in?

8. 5 nights at Hilton Salalah for $100 (silver status). Cash price for one night $131. Result!

9. Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh, during Edinburgh festival, is going for £400 per night, or 70,000 points. I have just booked a free night from the barclaycard – well chuffed, thanks Raffles!

10. Singing Dwarf says:

I’m not seeing any availability on the Hilton website using points at any location – is it because my balance is currently 0 points?

Whats the best way to check availability and the required number of points?

11. How likely are they to do another promo like this? I want to use the 5 for 4 nights option but didn’t realise it needs to be an all points booking and I need LOADS of points for hotels in Dubai. I thought I could pay by credit card and get the 5th one free. I only have about 120,000 (through AMEX) and I need 280,000 for Dubai – The Walk as we have 2 kids too. How can I get up to that in the most economical way. The hotel is 70,000 per night. We’ve already booked the flights else would have changed destination as it’s working out too expensive but I have one free reward night to redeem.