BA Sale Part 1: ‘Part Pay With Avios’ at 1p is back! Club Europe from £52 return

British Airways launched a new sale yesterday.

Full details can be found on this page of  This is the page for Club World flight and holiday deals but you can navigate to the other sale pages from there.

You need to book by 12th July.  For full details, click here to read my other article today.

‘Part Pay With Avios’ is also back on special offer

Running alongside the sale, BA is promoting ‘Part Pay With Avios’ again.  As with the sale in May, this has led to some crazy prices appearing such as Club Europe flights from £52 return!

British Airways introduced ‘Part Pay With Avios‘ back in 2013.  This allowed you to pay part of the price of a cash ticket using Avios points.

At the time, a lot of people felt deflated by the product.  BA had been making noises for a long time about allowing Avios points to be used for revenue fares, but the actual implementation was a damp squib with a maximum saving of just £30.

BA has been constantly tweaking (or fiddling, depending on your view) with the scheme since then.  The current offer, which is running alongside the BA sale but is valid on sale and non-sale fares, is not bad.

British Airways BA 787

Until 12th July, you can get the following discounts using ‘part pay with Avios‘ to reduce the price of a cash ticket:

Club Europe – maximum saving of £150 for 15,000 Avios

Euro Traveller (short haul economy) – maximum saving of £150 for 15,000 Avios

World Traveller (long haul economy) – maximum saving of £150 for 15,000 Avios

Club World and First – maximum saving of £300 for 30,000 Avios

All of these deals are offering you 1p per Avios point which is a decent deal.  Remember that, because you are buying a cash ticket, there are no availability issues and you will receive Avios and tier points back when you fly.

This is not as generous as it was in March when you got 1.33p.  Under this deal, which is the same as the Easter one, you only get 1p.  However, the total saving allowed this time is bigger than it was when the discount was 1.33p.

As with the last time this offer ran, there are still some silly prices available.  I priced this up last night:

Your eyes do not deceive you.  I was able to get a Club Europe return to Palma down to £52 return after spending 15,000 Avios points.  This is a cheap way to pick up 80 tier points if you are chasing status, and you will earn at least 2,000 Avios back.

Here are the key points to remember when using Part Pay With Avios:

You cannot part-pay Air Passenger Duty or any equivalent foreign tax. What this means, in practice, is that the maximum discount offered will be reduced if the fare is too low to not cover the taxes.  This is only likely to be an issue on short haul tickets.

Only BA operated flights are valid, not codeshares (so, for example, only BA flights to Madrid can be discounted, not the ones flown by Iberia with a BA flight number)

Any itinerary with a non-BA flight on it will not be offered ‘Part-Pay With Avios’ even if it also contains a UK or short-haul flight

You can only book at or via the BA call centre

It cannot be combined with promotional discount codes or ‘flight plus car’ / ‘flight plus hotel’ packages

It CAN be combined with Hotlines (discounted staff tickets)

It works OK on the ‘hand baggage only / Basic’ fares

It works OK on open jaw tickets

If you are in a Household Account, you will be allowed to use Avios to part-pay flights for people who are outside the Household Account

The Avios are deducted from the account of the person making the booking, even if the other passengers have their own BA or accounts

All travel must be completed by 21st June 2017 for non-premium cabins and 24 May 2017 for premium cabins.

The official Part Pay With Avios website is here.  Click on the ‘Find Out More’ button to see the special promotional rates – the rates shown on the home page are the normal ones.

How to get a one-way Europcar UK rental for just £1!
BA Sale Part 2: Good First and Club World flight and BA Holidays deals from £1,200

1. My husband got stuffed by part pay with Avios when his PA took the option on a couple of work flights to Manchester. Saving of £100 but would have cost us almost £400 to buy them back. Impossible for the Exec club to unwind (although I suspected they might have found a work around if he had been Gold). If we had noticed within 48 hours a fix would have been possible. Even more annoying given the paltry earning rates on LHR / MAN flights.

• Err, no, your husband got stuffed by his PA stealing from him unless he authorised the PA to use his avios.

If you book a refundable ticket I believe the avios are refundable with the cash

2. Those Avios points do actually have a value :)

• I was going to say, CE for £52 would be amazing, but it actually costs £142 with my 0.6p valuation.

• TGLoyalty says:

Pretty low value when BA themselves have offered 1p or more numerous times over the past 6-12 months

• I was thinking the same thing – I guess Raffles gets a lot more free avios through referrals than we ever will! :)

3. Hingeless says:

This is a interesting deal

I have just looked at a flight I need to book:

SYD-SIN-SYD Y Class with Gold Card

Booked as a peak day reward the cost is 40k avios + £206

Booked as a cash ticket using part pay with avios the costs is £300 + Zero Avios ! (as it costs 11k avios but you also earn 11k avios with gold card !), The saving is about £70

The question is do i just pay £370 and save the 11k avios

• 40K = £94 cash saved
      0.235p/ Avios

If you’re that Chinese billionaire with the squillions of Avios, fine :)

• Hingeless says:

I wouldn’t spend the 40k avios

The question to myself : is is it worth spending 11k avios to save £70? (current airline miles = 600k)

• [You can disregard the fact that you’ll get back 11K as a Gold – it’s immaterial to your decision.]

11K = £70 saving = 6.36p

Lowish but not so bad, if you ever buy/ ‘buy’ Avios at more than this, then you’d want to preserve your Avios. If you have loads in the bank, not much in it. I personally would look to get better value.

• No, it isn’t immaterial to the decision at all.

Using a 1p valuation:
            rev: cash £370, earn 11kA worth £110. Total cost £260
            ppa: £300 + 11kA, earn 11kA. Total cost £300
            awd: £206 + 40kA worth £400, earn 0A. Total cost £606
            Winner: revenue flight

Using a 0.6p valuation:
            rev: cash £370, earn 11kA worth £66. Total cost £304
            ppa: £300 + 11kA, earn 11kA. Total cost £300
            awd: £206 + 40kA worth £240, earn 0A. Total cost £446
            Winner: part pay with avios

• [Let’s ignore the 40K version.]

The 11K earned as Gold is immaterial because in both possibilities/ scenarios (regardless of value attributed to Avios), the OP will end up earning the same amount of Avios, worth the same.

In each value attributed to Avios (1p & 0.6p) we are comparing 2 equations with various values for a, b & c – but d is always the same value in both possibilities:
              a (cash out) + b (Avios used) = (c (total cost) + d (Avios earned)
              when d is the same in both possibilities, it can be struck out.

ie 1p valuation:
              1. a £370 + b £0 = £370 + d
              2. a £300 + b 11K Avios @ 1p = c £410 + d

and 0.6p valuation:
              1. a £370 + b £0 = £370 + d
              2. a £300 + b £66 = £366 + d

• Well done for doing the number crunching Squills.

I was going to suggest stepping outside (with a coin in hand), wait for wind to settle, flip coin, and job done. :) .

• Barry cutters says:

Book the cash ticket.

• Lady London says:

+1. In 3 out of 4 of your possible cases cash as good as wins.

Unless you think Avios are a declining asset and you need the ones you’ve got, or unless you’re a Chinese billionaire with squillions of Avios, or unless you have magic machine that earns you squillions of Avios, on this one I’d go all cash.

• Lady London says:

PS if you can start your ticket or the return half of your ticket out of Hong Kong rather than Singapore, I suspect you might benefit from considerably less tax due to the virtually non-tax regime there.

4. Pity ex-eu part pay not as good

• Yes, I noticed that. Frustrating as I need to decide whether to book a return for cash (and get the enhanced PPWA) or out on Avios and return on cash (with such a poor PPWA rate it isn’t worth it).

• Lady London says:

BA also loads cash single fares by relatively large amounts, as compared to the leg cost for each on a return btw.

5. Hi all! I’ve got one question: if a buy a cash ticket and benefit from 1p per Avios, can I later on change the FFP number, to e.g. Qatar PC, Airberlin or IbPlus?

6. James67 says:

There are a coupl of elephants in this post Rob and going forward I think you should always take care to highlight them in relevant articles because generally you have been very good at highlighting downsides here on HFP. The first is that many people are paying close to or more than 1p for avios they collect as evident from HFP comments. Thus, part pay at 1p/avios is not a good deal for such people, it may even represent a loss for some. Secondly, there is nothing crazy or amazing about £52 CE return if it requires a copayment of 15000 avios regardless of what people value their avios at or paid for them because CE is only really of value if you need tier points. Otherwise the onboard product and service is simply rubbish, and lounge access can be easily attained for free or cash. Much better to save the avios and buy a cheao economy return on BA or another airline including LCC.

• Lady London says:

+1 I was tempted, but I don’t need tier points and there is no other reason to fly Club Europe especially if you’re not earning the 2x or whatever it is now in Avios, for being Gold. As I don’t have a magic machine for creating Avios those 15,000 are much better worth hanging on to for a one way to the US on Air Berlin or something.

Of course I’m a fool because Avios ARE a declining asset. Sooner or later BA will devalue them again. So if I was intelligent I’d be much better off spending them :-)

• All accepted, but:

a) I expect people to have a rough idea of their ‘input cost’ and therefore know what makes a sensible spend rate

b) The bulk of the HFP readership – admittedly not reflected in the comments which is a group of roughly 100 of the 20,000 daily HFP readers – is made up of heavy business travellers who don’t pay anything for most of their Avios

• James67 says:

a) I hope you’re right, although, I’ve made some bad judgements myself at times to be honest. However, the one I thought was my worst of all proved to be a real peach in the end which just goes to show how fluid the miles game can be. Sometimes we get lucky and sometimes not.

b) Interesting information, a little disappointing that a larger proportion don’t share the benefits of their experience with us. That said, in the days when i was shuttling back and forward to SFO twice a month I never really paid much attention to the likes of FT and ended up with a United gold mine which could so easily have been a BMI diamond mine had I been wiser.

• B) +1 although the annoying thing when we go states is their ridiculous constant sign up bonuses and the wide range of credit cards they have…

7. Great post Rob and very timely for me. Was about to book 2 x economy rfs to spain in holiday time and was going to be about 14,000 avios + £30 ish pp (slightly less if booked 2 x 1 way). Now for £399 and using 30,000 to save £300 for CE – no brainer! Great find.

8. FlightDoctor says:

Slightly OT but my wife and 3 kids (all under 10yrs) will achieve Bronze status later this summer after two excellent ex-EU deals we secured thanks to HFP! They will all be sitting at 560 TPs with another 6 months to run on the cards before points are reset. I’m Gold through work travel.
    My question is whether it is worth us paying for a part-pay deal in CE (as above) to secure Silvers for the family, as we are only 40 TPs adrift? We don’t have any plans to travel overseas before summer 2017 and will probably try to secure an ex-EU deal in business anyway (so many of the Silver perks will be irrelevant such as lounge access). I’m not sure whether the extra bonus Avios earned with Silver would compensate with spending 37,500 to get a cheap TP run in CE. What would people do in my situation?

• Lady London says:

If you’re not flying in the next year then the only value I can see of buying flights to secure the extra 40 tier points to make Silver, would be if your Executive Club renewal date works to give you something close to 2 years of Silver. Otherwise even though 40 tier points is “so near and not so far” and not much outlay to get it, personally I’d think about not bothering. There are currently some other privileges with Silver. But if you’re not flying then they won’t matter to you.

If you are still very early in your membership year (not calendar year) at the time you make Silver, you will be Silver for the rest of that membership year and also till the end of the following membership year. In that case if you’re flying in the following year, and only if you are, then the extra outlay could just about be worth it.

9. I was following the prices for my route and the prices have actually gone up! Not sure if this qualifies for a ‘sale’.

10. Has anyone else had a surprise at the total cost booking a cash return Club Europe ticket? Looking at a trip to Paris in December, it clearly showed £95 each way. I know the return fare can “re-calculate” after selecting the outbound flight but I re-checked carefully and it still showed £95, so I was expecting a total of £190 or possibly pence under. No – it’s over £198. It’s not a lot of money but I’ve not encountered this before?

11. Hi,
    I have just looked at New York (JFK) next Easter and it is coming up at 605 pus 150 off with 15000 Avios.. Is around 455 return to New York Economy good value anyone know? I fancy going there for my birthday next year…The dates I checked were 100417×170417.

Any advice anyone can give me on the best way to get to New York as cheap as possible from up North (York) is appreciated..

thanks a lot..

• Flight prices to NY vary considerably depending on the time of year and I would say £455 is an excellent price over the Easter weekend. You might like to compare prices from MAN if it’s convenient for you to get over there. Being based in the south, I don’t know off the top of my head which airlines fly direct from there.

• I don’t think that’s a bad price. I was there last week – whilst I was on a Virgin UC redemption my 10 friends (a birthday celebration) paid on average between £450-500 on BA and Virgin in Y. In my experience prices really increase particularly for accommodation around Thanksgiving until New Year.

• It’s not £455 though – it’s £605

• Genghis says:

That doesn’t seem like great value. If you’re interested in going just to New York for a few days, I’d have a look on BA holidays. I got a decent price a year or so ago (£640 in Y with 4 nights in the Aloft in Brooklyn) – bear in mind hotels in New York are very expensive.

• Thanks everyone…I appreciate your time…Cheers!

• Thanks.. I have found what looks like a great deal.. 2000 for 2 return from Manchester in the New York Edition (26/475 on Tripadvisor), so will probably go for that I think..seems pretty reasonable when the hotel is around 300 a night anyway..A package seems a lot better way of doing New York…

12. Steve R says:

Yet again, not much use to us up ere in northern power house

13. roberto says:

OT & FWIW

The new Supercard is NOT contactless….

• Bit rubbish – although I’m not sure how widespread contactless is outside the UK.

• Yep, this was confirmed a few days ago on their Twitter (I posted a link here at the time).

Contactless is massive in Australia – funny it hasn’t taken off so much here yet. Seems to be slowly taking off in Europe. In the USA it seems to be restricted to Apple/Android Pay.

I’m actually a little surprised that Curve offers this, unless they take the responsibility themselves as a contactless payment wouldn’t seem to give them enough time to check with the original card issuer as they normally do for their transactions?

• Contactless in the USA is strange. I’ve heard from my providers (AmEx and Lloyds) that UK cards should work fine, but everytime I try the card comes back as declined. No issues using Apple Pay though (where it is accepted). A lot of people here still seem annoyed when they are told to insert their cards instead on swiping them and in a lot of places only do chip+signature as a move to chip+pin was considered too much for the Yanks in one go…

• I think the US rejected chip And pin in the basis of processing times – a card swipe out there seems to be instantaneous.

• roberto says:

Yes , and odd considering Curve is.. And as for contactless I was in Vegas last week and instinctively tapped the credit card machine in a shop with my Virgin Amex and the guy behind the counter almost pee-ed himself with delight to see the transaction process. He had never even heard of contactless transactions and was truly gobsmacked when the POS terminal whirred into life and spat out the paper.

The bigger question is will the supercard number start with a 5162 ( like the curve ) and get treated mostly as a credit card rather than a debit like the white Beta product did. I hope not.

• I’m sure 5162 is for the business credit card so is unlikely and I am hoping for a debit card number which is likely however remember their new fees on UK transactions before people get over excited….

• It’s pretty ubiquitous in Australia. Up to A$100 I think.

14. I was wondering what thoughts would people have in a scenario where BA price is much higher than prices on major OTAs. Surely, the savings isn’t what is claimed by BA as you could get the same tickets cheaper by booking on experdia, ebookers etc. Unlike hotel bookings, there isn’t any specific advantage by booking directly with BA? (except the 24 hour cancellation).

• No advantage at all to booking direct apart from the 24 hour rule. If there is a lower price elsewhere then take it.

• Thanks Rob – one of these days I would quite like to test BA’s price match policy for a ‘part pay with avios’ booking.

• Buying tickets on OTA will stop you from upgrading with miles before the flight (the ticket is only handed over to the airline 24 hours before the flight). And some OTAs add the card fees at the very end of the process

15. Can you Part Pay with Avios, and then use Avios to upgrade again?

• James67 says:

I asked the same question some months ago and the answer was yes. There is some protection too because you can cancel within 24 hours should your option to upgrade disappear at just the wrong time. That is, if I’m right in assuming that cash tickets can be cancelled within 24 hours in the same way as award tickets.

• We just upgraded to F from a J part pay avios to NYC. Got the u/g on the return leg. Trying now to do the same on the o/b leg. So yes it’s possible.

• Barry cutters says:

Yes . Totally fine if you book a ticket class that is upgradable

16. OTT strangle got a renewal for a priority pass today for an Amex account that is cancelled does the card have any chance of working??

• If recently cancelled then not likely.

If long time cancelled then it’s very unusual and I think you have a good chance it will work

• No, as there is no credit card behind it to pay for guests so it is rejected when swiped.

17. As a Executive Club member can I Part Pay with Avios to book someone else a flight or do I have to be travelling. I see on the BA booking engine PAX details comes after I select the part pay option!

1. […] News and notes from around the interweb: British Airways promo for more value redeeming Avios as cash towards travel for bookings of itineraries originating in London made by July 12 (HT: Head for Points) […]

2. read this says: