Bits: £10 cashback at Manchester Airport, double PartnerPlusBenefit points, Dinner In The Sky

News in brief:

Travelex offering £10 cashback to spend at Manchester Airport

Travelex is offering travellers flying from Manchester Airport an interesting deal over the Summer.

If you pre-order £500 of currency from Travelex to collect at the airport, they will reimburse you any purchase you make at the airport up to £10.

The claim process is a bit fiddly.  After your trip, you need to scan your Travelex receipt and your Manchester Airport shopping receipt, email it along with your bank details and £10 will be dropped into your account.

The deal is also open to anyone passing through the Eurotunnel terminal at Folkestone.  Oddly, the small print also says that it is valid at Glasgow but this is not in the ‘big print’ – Glasgow may have been dropped at the last minute.

Full details are on the Travelex website here.  The offer runs until 30th September and you have until the end of the year to submit your receipts.

Travelex Manchester Airport offer

Double PartnerPlusBenefit points flying transatlantic this month

I explained Partner Plus Benefit, the Star Alliance small business loyalty scheme, in this article.

Until the end of July, PPB is offering double BenefitPoints when you fly from the UK or Ireland to the US and Canada on Air Canada, Austrian, Brussels, SWISS and United.

You need to opt in for this offer via the PPB website.  Remember that PPB points are a lot more flexible than British Airways On Business points and can be redeemed for hotel vouchers, Heathrow Express tickets, airport car rides and even cash.  If you are self employed or run your own SME, it is worth joining up details in my earlier piece.

A HFP reader does ‘Dinner In The Sky’ in Athens

Finally, I thought you might be interested in a couple of photographs from a recent SPG Moments event.

SPG Moments allows members of the Starwood loyalty scheme (covering Sheraton, Westin, W, Le Meridien, St Regis, aloft etc) to redeem points for once in a lifetime experiences.

Reader Andrew found himself having dinner on a clear perspex platform, help up by crane, dangling high about the streets of Athens!  The package also came with accommodation at the Grande Bretagne hotel in Athens.  Luckily he survived to send me the pictures.

There are similar experiences available on SPG Moments.  I know another reader recently bought a package which allows his kids to train with FC Zurich for a day, together with a stay in a suite at the Sheraton Zurich, at a bargain (points) price.

Are 'Your Rate' and cheap breakfasts undermining the InterContinental Ambassador free night voucher?
Why Rewards may be better for you than hotel loyalty schemes

Virgin Trains West Coast are having another 1 day seat sale. Book today and travel between 30th July and 4th September. Tickets from £4.

2. Hope they didn’t drop a fork!

3. the pitch says:

o/t I am thinking about taking out the Hilton Barclaycard and planning on staying at the Conrad Singapore. Does there need to be points availability for me to book? I can’t find points availablity on any days using the Hilton Honours website.

• Yes, there needs to be a standard room reward available (i.e. 60000 points). If you see an odd number like 78364 points then it is not available.

You must be doing the search wrong, because there is availability for most days in the next 3 months.

• Wally1976 says:

You may need to search without being logged in. If you’re logged in and don’t have enough points it won’t show the availability.

• guesswho2000 says:

Strangely, when searching normally (so on the Hilton site) I’m having the same issue – no availability shown, other than premium room rewards (which won’t be available with the voucher).

However, when clicking on the Conrad and going to pick a room, plenty of Classic rooms (King, Twin) are showing for 60k points, which is the normal rate and would be available with the voucher (date I picked was 20 Oct).

Can highly recommend this hotel, I spent two nights there in December, upgraded to the top floor, exec lounge access (Diamond anyway, so that didn’t matter), and the staff were great – we were on a booking 1x night using a Barclaycard voucher, the other points+cash.

4. Terry Silver says:

I have a reward flight to take in next year. Probably London to Las Vegas. I will likely have only enough avios to do one leg in CW and one in F.

Which leg would you choose for each?

• Scallder says:

I’d suggest doing the overnight (which I presume is the return from Vegas overnight) in Club, as better to make use of the daytime on the F flight and also using the (presumably much) better lounge at Heathrow as can use the Concorde Room

• guesswho2000 says:

Agree with this. The Oneworld lounge (which isn’t, it’s a partner lounge) at LAS is pretty poor. Last time I was there I used the Amex Centurion lounge instead.

• Terry Silver says:

Thought as much – thanks!

• Terry, we are doing exactly the same thing in Feb. We are CW out and F back from LAS.
      A couple of things to consider. The LAS flights go from LHR T3 so you would not have access to the Concorde Room, just the galleries First lounge. I’m not a lover of the CW seat for sleeping, so we chose CW for the day flight and F for the return for the better wider seat to sleep. I’m not sure when guesswho was last there, but a few weeks ago when we came back from Vegas, the lounge was “the club at las” T3, this was right opposite gate 2 where our flight departed from and we were quite pleased with the lounge, it was new, had snacks and sandwiches, soups etc. for a USA lounge it was perfectly acceptable.

5. Terry Silver says:

Thanks Adrian

Worth paying for the extra avios to fly first both legs?

6. James67 says:

OT: 25% off avios redemptions in BA across all classes (dependent on destination) to the Middle East for bookings made by 7 August.

7. OT: Lufthansa is negotiating with Etihad to acquire parts of Air Berlin that has been making losses for the past 10 years:

“Lufthansa appears to be interested in taking over all Air Berlin routes that don’t go via the hubs in Düsseldorf or Berlin, as well as around 40 leased aircraft including their crews.

The scenario now being discussed includes Lufthansa’s Eurowings taking over Air Berlin’s slots at regional airports such as Hamburg and Nuremberg as well as 40 aircraft and their crews. The talks are scheduled to be completed by October at the latest. The three companies declined to comment.

If the deal happens, Air Berlin chief executive Stefan Pichler could use his remaining 100 aircraft to focus on routes to and from Berlin and Düsseldorf. And at the same time, Lufthansa Chief Executive Carsten Spohr could expand Eurowings.

But the plans could run in to opposition from cartel authorities because it would give Air Berlin and Lufthansa dominant market positions at some airports. The government is, however, said to prefer a German solution for Air Berlin. Aviation sources said Mr. Spohr had told government officials that he would help Air Berlin if needed.”

8. Am I really reduced to the Swissport lounge T3? All I’ve got is my Gold card freebie. Lounge Club.

No other choices in T3?

I know No1 Traveller will not be seeing my cheery face this time.

How much is it to bring in one of my kids?