Bits: bonus Avios with Kaligo.com, Luxury Travel Diary auctions, 1200 Avios with £23 Tesco NOW TV deal

News in brief:

Bonus Avios booking hotels with Kaligo.com

Hotel booking site Kaligo.com has been fairly quiet on the promotional front recently, following a number of very generous offers in 2015.

They now have a new offer available:

You will receive double Avios on all bookings made by 31st December 2016

The stay must be completed by 30th April 2017

First-time bookers with Kaligo.com will receive an additional 2,000 Avios

Full details can be found here.

Like similar sites such as PointsHound and Rocketmiles, hotel bookings via Kaligo.com are treated as non-qualifying stays.  This means that you won’t receive any points in Hilton HHonors, IHG Rewards Club etc or, most of the time, receive any status benefits due to you.

Assuming there is no price difference, this offer is best used when staying at a hotel outside one of the major chains.

Kaligo 350 2

Luxury Travel Diary auctions

The Luxury Travel Diary site dropped me a line about another wave of its auctions closing soon.

Interesting stuff includes three nights in a villa in Koh Samui (£6 at the time of writing but must be taken in November) and two nights ‘glamping’ in Kent (currently £36).  Not everything will work for you, either in terms of location, length or dates, but you’ll probably find something of interest if you poke around.

500-clubcard-points-now-tv-kids-pass

1,200 Avios via Clubcard with £23 NOW TV deal

Until Wednesday 2nd November, Tesco Direct is giving 500 extra Clubcard points – worth 1,200 Avios or 1,250 Virgin miles – with a £23 NOW TV box.

Even better, these NOW TV boxes come with your choice of either a (click to be taken to the relevant Tesco Direct page):

If you had been thinking about adding a NOW TV box to your house – it basically lets you get access to a lot of Sky content without having a dish – this is a very decent deal.  Two months of free Sky Movies would keep you going over Christmas!

Should the collapsing £ make me re-assess my points valuations?
Bookable from 2pm-ish: new list of 5,000 points per night IHG PointBreaks

Comments

1. Erico1875 says:

Thevtesco Now TV is a good deal even if you already, as I do have a Now TV box. Monthly its £6.99 so the 3 month included entertainment pass just about covers that and can be used to prepay an existing account. You can have up to 4 boxes /devices per account.

2. If you do go for the Now TV box then I recommend doing the Filmon mod which adds in most of the freeview channels (plus a few others). We have this set up in my daughter’s bedroom where there is no aerial point. http://blog.artesea.co.uk/2016/01/tvplayer-on-roku-or-now-tv.html

• Interesting, thanks. I’ve stopped my Sky sub and moved wholly to Roku, this would save me having to switch TV inputs to just watch live broadcasts – will take a look!

• the real harry says:

No need to do that any more – just buy the new NowTV Smart box – which is Roku powered. £35 widely available – with 4 months Sky Cinema included. Miles better than the little black or older white NowTV boxes.

It has 129 Freeview channels (from my terrestrial aerial at least) plus you get ability to freeze live TV.

Seriously considering cancelling my Sky TV sub – with a better broadband delivery, I certainly would – especially as NowTV keep giving away free months of Entertainments passes. They also gifted me a free month of Sky Sports just for being an all-round pleasant guy on Live Chat :)

Totally O/T – if (like me) you don’t watch too much TV, give Sky’s Westworld a viewing – it’s a brilliant original series, co-directed by JJ Abrams – best TV I’ve seen for years.

3. the real harry says:

ah :) good to know – I wondered what would happen to those statement points

4. Not a bad deal seeing as I pay £9.99 a month anyway for the movie pass. So a box to give away to someone and 1200 avios for £3.76

5. Shame they don’t seem to be doing the ones with Sky Sports day passes as well.

6. So, ended up with 8 BW stays in the Lufthansa offer period.

Now to see if they deliver…

7. Shame there isn’t an offer for nowtv with sky sports!

8. O/T – my hotels.com rewards nights are expiring in late November. Can I book a cheap hostel in Thailand to keep them alive for another month? Or do I actually have to check in? If I have to check in, what if I was to call the hostel and ask them to check me if (maybe claim I’ll be arriving v late that night/v early the next day?

I’d rather severely drop my average spend, than lose them altogether!

• I did this last year, a £5 place, worked fine. Didn’t call anyone.

• thanks

• Indeed. The hotel has their money…why would they be bothered with making any further enquiries? The reward night credit was the only positive to missing a flight to ATH this year. By the way I think a new booking keeps your credits alive for a year rather than a month.

• To be fair, I tried the same trick with booking.com to get my 2 free Uber rides and the hostel (a different hostel to the one I used for hotels.com) reported me as a no-show.

• Javier Pena says:

Hi Rob,

Any hotel will report your reservation as a no-show to Booking.com due to the huge commission that this TA charges to hotels and alike. This big amount gets reduced to zero if you are “no-showed” and inform Booking.com about it, even if the hotel gets to keep your money as a non-arrival.

Not sure about other TA’s, but I would never risk that on Booking.com due to the above.

• TGLoyalty says:

Does using them for a refundable cancellable booking so far ahead you might have another booking before then reset the expiry?

9. O/T – does anyone know if Virgin Atlantic are still giving a 20% bonus on Clubcard conversions? Desperately need to convert some to book a reward flight but trying to hold off for a bonus offer! X

• If you look on the Virgin Red app, they are giving a 20% bonus to first time converters (Tesco -> Virgin). Otherwise nothing so far.

• re the news just out – convert convert convert!!!

10. Wally1976 says:

OT – going to be flying from CDG T2D to LTN with Easyjet. The Priority Pass website says that the Sheltair lounge is only for Schengen flights – is that correct? Thanks

11. Westjet 20% off code: RPJLTA1 (today only, celebrating new airport terminal in Calgary)

12. the real harry says:

just knock off the first zero?

mine is also 10 digits (after 308147) – beginning with 2x zeros

• the real harry says:

you think I haven’t? lol :)

(they roll around, laughing in the aisles, at the very suggestion)

13. From tomorrow – Avios win of 15000 points

Your chance to win 15,000 Avios
    15000 Avios
    For every £2.50 in Tesco Clubcard vouchers you exchange between 1-14 November 2016, you’ll not only receive 600 Avios, but also one entry to win one of 25 prizes of 15,000 Avios.
    Under My Avios Section.

14. O/T – Economy redemption bookings on long haul Air Berlin flights (TXL-AUH) via BA.com. Does anyone know (or have experience of) whether this booking would be made as an Economy Light or Economy Classic booking? Light has no assigned seating or luggage allowance so extra costs to be considered if this is the case.

Rob’s report on his Niki (Air Berlin) flight from Palma fairly recently mentioned the fact that he didnt pay for his luggage which may have been a result of the reward booking being an Economy Classic one but he wasn’t sure.

BA.com is clear as mud and the link to the terms and condiions for the partner airline gives a server error. If anyone can help, many thanks in advance.

• It will be booked as Economy Classic (class X), which comes with one piece baggage allowance, but the seat selection is not available without OW status.

You will find the confirmation for one checked baggage on BA e-ticket receipt.

15. Some fantastic deals with Kaligo in some cities at the moment with this bonus deal. Just booked 2 nights in Lisbon at a hotel for inclusive price of £205 (compared to £174 on Expedia), netting 12800 Avios in the process.