Terminal 5 Aspire Lounge IS now in Lounge Club – a good reason to get Amex Gold

On Wednesday, I wrote about some strange happenings with the Aspire Lounge in Terminal 5 at Heathrow – the only third-party lounge in the terminal.

When the Aspire Lounge opened in Terminal 5 at Heathrow, there was some annoyance that, whilst it was open to Priority Pass cardholders, it was NOT available to members of sister scheme Lounge Club.

This was especially frustrating for American Express Preferred Rewards Gold cardholders, since they get two free entries to a Lounge Club airport lounge each year.

As I wrote on Wednesday, the Terminal 5 Aspire Lounge does now appear on the Lounge Club websitesee here.

Aspire lounge Heathrow

However, a couple of Head for Points readers who tried to get in late last week had been turned away, saying that it was a website error.  One was told that they had been turning away a lot of people that day who had been trying to get in via Lounge Club.

The good news is that Lounge Club IS being accepted at the Aspire Lounge in Terminal 5.  It turns out that Lounge Club members have been able to gain access since 3rd November.

It turns out that no-one actually told some of the staff in the lounge about the change, which is why people were being turned away.  Following my article Aspire apparently acted quickly to correct this.

You should not now have any problems getting in with a Lounge Club card – apart from the usual problem that the lounge is small and it is often forced to turn people away at peak times.

Aspire Lounge Heathrow Terminal 5

With Lounge Club now accepted as the Terminal 5 Aspire Lounge – and with the lounge currently undergoing an expansion, which should reduce the risk of being turned away – the American Express Preferred Rewards Gold charge card becomes more attractive.

Amex Gold is free for the first year and comes with passes allowing you two free visits (either two for yourself or one visit for you and a guest) to any Lounge Club lounge.  This HFP article compares the UK lounge networks of Priority Pass and Lounge Club whilst the Lounge Club website shows you their full overseas network.

If you keep Amex Gold after the first free year – at a cost of £140 – you will continue to receive two free Lounge Club passes each year.  Additional lounge visits cost £15 which is a lot lower than the standard rate for most of these lounges.

My full review of Amex Gold is here if you want to find out more.  Don’t forget that you also get 20,000 Avios points (if you convert your 20,000 Amex points to Avios) for signing up For Amex Gold and spending £2,000 within 90 days.

'World of Hyatt' to replace Gold Passport in 2017 - what is changing?
Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss

Comments

1. Sam Williams says:

I’m sat in Aspire Lounge right now, and just witnessed a gentlemen get turned away because he had Lounge Club. He was showing the lady on reception but he was told it isn’t accepted here. Clearly the message hasn’t got to all staff yet!! Even when showing the web page he wasn’t allowed in.

• the real harry says:

Must be intensely frustrating for them :)

No doubt issue will be resolved within days.

What we need now is No1 @ T3 lol

2. OT – Lloyds Avios Reward Card

If a new CC is opened by someone who does not have Avios.com account, does Lloyds open one for you? If so do I need to wait until statement date to find out account details? How do I get login detail?

• Lloyds seems to have opened a new account for me even if I already had an account in my name! I had a letter from Avios.com stating this and had to ring their(avios.com) customer service to merger accounts…

• It can sometimes be useful to have more than one account; when this happened to me I kept the extra one for E-Rewards etc (an acquired taste I agree), probably not if I was still working.

• Happens all the time with Avios.com sadly – it’s a rubbish system that tries to match existing accounts but often fails (esp if you live in a flat). Online chat is probably your quickest way of getting the accounts merged.

• the_real_a says:

They can be merged very easily by phoning Avois.com. Its helpful if the “other” company can tell you the avios account number that it is using for points, otherwise the Avios agent can search on some key words to find you. Thankfully the Avios.com call center is still in the UK so common sense is in play.

3. Also now on LoungeKey it seems, making the HSBC Premier card even more appealing.

4. I have an Amex gold but have s couple of questions re the lounge club passes.

1. You say it comes with two free passes two for myself or one for myself and a guest. I’ve used it twice this year at STN for my wife and I. I’ve never been charged and I don’t recall ever being told by the lounge my free passes were now up and I’m being charged. I’m confused I thought it was two free passes for me and a guest i.e. As I have done this year.

2. If I used it a third time for example is it £15 per person per visit?

• the real harry says:

You should have been charged ( @ £15 a time) after you used up your 2 free passes – this does happen a fair bit on lounge passes because of the human element

• do they swipe card to confirm use?

• Is that two free passes of me and my wife you mean? In which case this is what I’m upto

• the real harry says:

you’ve lost me somewhat :)

you get 2 free passes, pure & simple

either 2 for you or 1 each for you & your guest

• Probably me sorry! I’ll try again I used the lounge at STN one two occasions this year since getting my card. On BOTH those occasions I was with my wife. So two trips with two people on each trip. Used the lounge club card never been charged. I’m still confused by the wording not that it’s end of the world. It confused me as it appeared to be two visit for the card member only OR one visit for the card member and guest which my point is isn’t the case.

• the real harry says:

you just got lucky

if it were me I’d try it another time just to see if you got a lucky card that doesn’t charge back to your Amex card

some people have cancelled Plat but report that their Priority Pass still gives free lounge entry :)

• No they don’t. Would only work if the PP was handled manually.

• Chris jones says:

I would contact amex.

When I had gold I phone up and said I was a family of 4 and 2 passes didn’t help me and I wanted more.

Amex looked at my account and updated my lounge pass to 4 or 8. Can’t remember I’ve has Plat for a few years now.

But if you don’t ask!

• the real harry says:

admire the initiative

you probably got a particularly pleasant agent – highly unlikely to work more widely but I’d love to hear evidence to the contrary

• Sandgrounder says:

The lounge don’t know yur payment arrangements, they just swipe the card to bill you. You should get a £15 charge on your PRG for each entry after the two free ones. I can’t recall but doen’t the welcome letter include some log in details so you can check your usage history?

• fivebobbill says:

Yes you get a pin number in the Lounge Club welcome pack to create an account online, and from there you can manage and monitor your account (change payment card, check balance etc). You also used to be able to pre book lounges on the site up until a year or so ago, and take the print out with you to present at the welcome desk – that facility seems to have gone now, but would have been handy nowadays given the confusion at T5

• Is your wife a supplementary card holder? Because then they get a pass for 2 entries also I believe. Same with Platinum the main card holder and supplementary card holder get a priority pass card each.

• I actually got told by Amex it was two passes for me plus a guest (ie four total entries). Used the card accordingly and was never charged.

5. I have used my lounge club card to get me and OH into lounges about 5 times now(so that’s 10 entries) card is always swiped, and have never paid once. The lounges were no.1 BHX, Aspire LTN, the one at Venice Marco Polo,

6. Since there is a lot of discussion today about Lounge Club card, what is the best possible way to use my 2 free visit for four people? I will be happy to pay for other two but not sure how it will work out for four of us i.e. any reservation required by prepaying?

• The only lounge you can reserve is No 1 Traveller for £5 a pop. If you can, save them for Plaza Premium at T2 or T4 which are great lounges and never full, so no risk of not getting in.

• fivebobbill says:

Roger, you just show your Lounge Club card at the entrance, you don’t need to show them anything else (although some ask you to sign in). Your pass is linked to the credit card you opened the account with (in this case Amex Gold Rewards). Your first 2 visits are free (either 2 for you, or 1 for you + one guest), your Amex card won’t be charged. After you have used your 2 free passes your card is charged at £15pp, for you and as many guests as you like! If you’ve never used your card before then for 4 people your card will be charged £30, ie 2 free, and 2 @ £15. (Officially! There’s always the chance someone makes a mistake and your guests get in for free :-)

• Did you find out how to book the glass of champagne option Rob? The one that gets you a guaranteed reservation with the bonus of fizz?

• I meant for No1 sorry.

• Yes. It seems you go onto their site and book the champers as an extra item. The confirmation says the voucher guarantees you entry. (Not tried this myself though.)

• Glass of champagne for £7.50 inc guaranteed entry.

(and you can save the champagne voucher for another day if you end up at the lounge horrifically hungover having gotten carried away the night before a 7am flight)

It works!

7. Visited the Aspire lounge in T5 in September and thought it wasn’t that good. Definitely wouldn’t pay to go in there. Very cramped surroundings

8. Sorry, O:T, regarding the 1000 free Avios for using a new partner via the BA 365 Store and the Avios estore. I have made click and collect at both Superdrug and Screwfix via the two different accounts. The points for the purchases are currently showing as pending in my accounts. Has anyone else made click and collect purchases and had their 1000 Avios added to their accounts?

• the real harry says:

they warn 40 days wait

• Which is why the eStores were not a good option for the new partner promo IMO

• It’s fine – the T&C state that the Avios do NOT have to be in your account by the deadline date for estore purchases – it’s an exception. So there should be no problem.

• the real harry says:

had the base points added (7dayshop) but not the 1000 (avios.com)

• the real harry says:

nothing on BAEC – all purchases about 4/10 – not bothered as I expected all this – might go on live chat to avios.com babes

9. OT but Lounge.

Has anyone experience of the Centurion Studio in Seattle for breakfast please?

• Yes, I was there earlier this year. Breakfast was great. The Centurian lounges are definitely the best lounge option you’ll find if you’re flying internally in the US.

• Thanks; glad to hear that it can be used for internal flights as they tend to regard flights to Canada as being in that category in many lounges.

10. Lounge club related. I have a lounge club card. If I lend it to someone for their flight when i am not there would they check against the boarding pass and refuse entry? Can’t remember what happened when I used it before.

11. OT – just transferred MR points to BAEC over phone with Amex, and the (very helpful) customer services rep referred me to this site for help in maximising my avois, even going as far as spelling out the URL! Is this standard Amex practice?!

12. Anybody transferring points from Spg to Marriott be very careful you have used your Marriott account in the last 2 years and accumulated some points as they will wipe out your miles at the end of the month otherwise due to there terms and conditions .

13. Lynne young says:

We were turned away from aspirelounge at T2 Manchester airport but was directed to a smaller lounge which was good but told me at aspire main lounge they have to turn away people with lounge passes as the lounge now is booked out for business class bookings ,she told me they are having a nightmare with people with ” free lounge passes from banks ” she said they just could not cope with it

14. simon johncock says:

i have priority pass card and been denied access the only 4 times ive tried to enter the lounge as too busy.
    well that was money well spent