How to earn Avios via Clubcard when filling up at Esso

Most of our Tesco Clubcard commentary now goes on over at Shopper Points where we are free to discuss every single Tesco bonus points promotion and where we can reach a broader audience beyond the frequent flyer community.

(There is, by the way, a decent offer of 4800 Avios – ie 2000 Clubcard points – on Hotpoint fridges and freezers at the moment.  Details are here with prices from £160.)

As we discuss Shell Drivers Club on Head for Points – because Shell points can be transferred into Avios – I thought it was worth looking at the Esso / Tesco relationship over on this site.  You may not be aware that you can indirectly earn Avios when you fill up at Esso.

The relationship between Tesco and Esso is a complex one which has changed – improved, if I’m honest – as time has gone on.

Tesco Express is a major partner with Esso and is the main operator of forecourt convenience stores for them.  You had always been able to collect Clubcard points on purchases from the Tesco stores at Esso.

Over the last three years, the scheme has been expanded.  It initially grew to allow you to earn Clubcard points on Esso petrol purchases at garages with a Tesco shop.  It then grew again to allow you to earn points at ANY Esso filling station, irrespective of who runs the retail side.

Tesco Esso

The earning rates are a little confusing.  This is a summary of the current Tesco / Esso relationship:

At Esso stores without a Tesco store, you earn 1 Clubcard point (2.4 Avios) per 2 litres of fuel.

At Esso stores with a Tesco store, you earn 1 Clubard point (2.4 Avios) per £3 spent on fuel.

If your Esso store has a shop attached which is not a Tesco, you may (or may not) receive 1 Clubcard point (2.4 Avios) for every £1 spent in the shop. Some garages will not offer points for shop purchases even if they offer points for fuel.  This varies by garage.

If your Esso store has a Tesco attached, you receive 1 Clubcard point (2.4 Avios) for every £1 spent in the shop.

If you use the car wash, you earn 1 Clubcard point (2.4 Avios) per £1.

For full details, take a look at this special Esso / Tesco website.

Whilst it is complicated, this is a genuine additional benefit to Avios collectors who do not live near a Tesco or Shell petrol station.

What is your credit card 'end game' strategy?
Earn triple Avios - SEVEN per Euro! - on Accor (Sofitel, Mercure, Novotel etc) stays

Comments

1. James Howes says:

Bit weird that the earnings rate is worse for fuel purchases at garages WITH a Tesco than at garages without, UNLESS fuel rises to more than £1.50 a liter (which is a bit far from recent memory)

2. And how many points do you earn at Tesco petrol stations?

• Looks like Tesco PFS have the best earning rate:

you can earn 1 point for every £2 spent on fuel within our Tesco Petrol Filling Stations and 2 points for every £1 spent in the kiosk on items other than fuel.

• Jonathan says:

You get 1 point per £ at Tesco petrol stations when using the Clubcard on a Tesco credit card.

• If you have a Tesco debit or credit card and use it as a clubcard, you get 1 clubcard ppint for every pound you spend on fuel.

You can use a Tesco CC just as a clubcard and then pay for your fuel with Amex. So 3.9 Avios per £ with BAPP

3. Dont forget double points promo at Esso for their premium fuels

• But at least 10 pence a litre dearer than normal fuel, I don’t think that it is worth the extra cost
      of a tank of fuel i.e. worth a few extra pints.

4. Titus Adduxas says:

We get the Clubcard points but pay with our BA Amex – the best of both worlds methinks.

5. RussellH says:

I clearly remember in the past being told quite forcefully “we do not take Clubcards” at Tesco Express filling stations. Daveid Cameron’s ex-home of Witney and Stafford both come to mind. Some years ago now, but the staff were clearly very fed up with constantly telling people this.

Our nearest fuel is Esso, with Greggs and Starbuck and a big shop – Euro Garages, not Tesco. I never remember to ask abot Clubcard, but since I am seldom buying more than a newspaper it is not that serious. Fuel is around 6p /l less at Morrisons or Asda, and Morrisons give points too, so they get my business.

• Fuel at supermarket service stations is a lot less refined than that of branded sites
      hence the reason they can sell it a lot cheaper, long term use of supermarket fuel
      can cause damage to your engine, just ask any mechanic what he thinks of
      supermarket fuels. To save £2.00 on a tank of fuel to me is not worth
      using supermarket fuels

• but who keeps a car long term?

• Urban myth my friend put about usually by car mechanics!

• Indeed. All fuel is the same-one refinery will serve the whole area and they’ll just account internally for it rather than travel further than necessary (e.g. Shell at Stanlow serves most of the north west, the old Ineos Grangemouth served most of the NE and Scotland). Any contamination will be in the tank of a particular filling station only. The product is identical-if you look you’ll see tankers of all different supermarkets and brands leaving the sites one after the other in no particular order after topping up with the product. A bit like Jags and Land Rovers, which are made interchangeably on the same production line.

• I remember a few years ago morrisons used to do a bio-diesel.
          Think a lot of people got caught out by then (the nozzle handle was orange instead of black)

Anyway, apart from that I believe additives is what makes the difference in the brands. I guess a lot of it down to the car & how it is driven.
          I filled up at BP a few weeks ago & my my MPG dropped by more than 4 miles to under 45mpg.
          usually when I fill up tesco I get 49-49.8mpg
          Esso gives me 51-52mpg
          I usually fill up at tesco as its the easiest for me as it is the closest to 2 of the 3 offices I work out of. Yet Esso consistently gives me better MPG (which is closer to the 3rd office!).

• the real harry says:

my car gives me a real 70mpg

• the real harry says:

not true

the basic fuel might be the same but then additives are used which means the final products differ

• Andie Lee says:

I have used Tesco’s fuel for 15 years and never had a problem and I think the service brilliant get my Clubcard points if it damaged everybody’s car don’t think it will be out of business by now

6. Will Squires says:

It isn’t every Esso. Sites with shops run by the Co-op (such as Saltburn) don’t offer Clubcard points at all, nor do the handful of sites EuroGarages run with Sainsbury’s Local branding. There are other exclusions too.