Bits: (Huge?) Qatar Airways sale starts Monday, register for triple Avios now, Hilton / American Airlines promo

News in brief:

Qatar Travel Festival starts on Monday

(EDIT, 9th January – the sale is now live. Click here for my Qatar Travel Festival main article and pricing.)

Last January Qatar Airways ran an astonishing sale.

This is my article on it from January 2016.  As long as you were happy to start your travels in Europe, you could get business class tickets to most places Qatar flies for £800 – £1000.

Flights to Asia would also have earned you 560 British Airways tier points (140 points Europe to Doha, 140 points Doha to Asia and return) which is 90% of a British Airways Silver card.

Remember, too, that Qatar’s business class product is one of the very best on the market.

The 2017 Qatar Travel Festival launches on Monday 9th January.

It is impossible that the deals this year can be as good because the £ has fallen sharply against the €.  However, if you are planning any long haul travel to the Middle East, Asia, Africa or Australasia – for any dates before mid December 2017 – I would hold off booking until this sale is live, just in case.

The holding page for the offer is here.

Qatar Travel Festival sale

Registration for the BA triple Avios promotion now live

This is hopefully the last time I need to mention this offer this week!  However, registration for the new ‘triple Avios’ promotion – full details in this article – is now fully live.

You can sign up via this page of ba.com.  You will then receive triple base Avios on all flights until 31st March.

American Airlines

Hilton / American Airlines bonus miles promotion

Hilton HHonors has launched a new promotion with American Airlines.

Until 31st March, you will earn 500 bonus AA miles per NIGHT if you choose to credit your stays to American Airlines.

This deal applies at the main Hilton, Curio, DoubleTree, Embassy Suites, and Hilton Grand Vacations chains.  The bonus is smaller at Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton by Hilton and Homewood Suites where you only get 500 bonus miles per stay.

This is on top of the standard mileage you would earn.

In order to take part in this offer you must register at this page of the Hilton HHonors website AND ensure that your Hilton account is switched to the ‘points and miles’ option, with American Airlines set up as your preferred mileage partner.

You will NOT receive a bonus at Conrad or Waldorf Astoria hotels but all of the other Hilton brands are participating.  There is cap of 10,000 bonus miles over the course of the promotion.

This offer is good for stays until 31st March.   The link to register is here.

HFP ‘Credit Cards’ page updated for January – what are the best deals this month?
New Accor rules on gaining and keeping status now in place - be aware!

Comments

1. OT(!) – here’s an interesting article about Emirates from bloomberg if anyone’s interested : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-01-05/is-emirates-airline-running-out-of-sky

2. James67 says:

OT IHG accelerate: just noticed at the top of my list of challenges it states I must complete all of them to get the bonus while next to the bonus figure it states I need to complete 4 of 5. Which to believe?

• You don’t need to do the January one.

• James67 says:

Thanks Rob but it’s not that, there are 5 challenges not including the January 1000 bonus.

• It’s meaning you need to complete them all to get the full headline number of points – the 4 out of 5 (excluding the January one) is all that’s required to get the bonus points.

• Annoyingly mine all switched to confirmed a few months back, which got my hopes up!!

I’ve got £88 outstanding, so if it isn’t here by the one year anniversary I’m going to take it up with Hilton – I know cashback is via a 3rd party network but it was something advertised that Hilton have just pulled out of to save themselves some cash so at the very least I’d like some HHonors points instead!

3. FlightDoctor says:

OT. I have a family Avios redemption booking to Dublin this summer in Euro Traveller. In Manage My Booking there is an offer of £110 return p.p. to upgrade to Club Europe. Never seen an upgrade offer so far in advance and also never with redemption bookings. This seems a good deal but would I then get the miles and Tier Points?

4. OT : flying IcelandAir tomorrow – is there any useful FF program other then their own where I can credit miles too ?

5. Bariummeal says:

Keep hold of paper tickets with Qatar. One of my sectors hasn’t posted for tier points or avios but the others have. I apply online, BA say there is no record of me being on the flight and I have now had to photocopy the ticket stub and send it through. Still waiting for my 140 tier points and my year ends in 3 weeks – YIKES!

• That happened to us coming back from HKT in Nov. Mine posted, but my OH didn’t. BA had them updated within a week. Chase them fast, call the silver line ASAP. But once they have your ticket no etc. They usually find you pretty fast. I was impressed with BA but not QR that time!

6. I see DVLA have stuck to a £2.50 fixed fee for cc payments vs % approach from HMRC.

Debit cards free, apparently pre-paid cards also £2.50 – anyone had any luck with ones that sneak through without charge? (Supercard used to be great for this before it relaunched!)

• Bit sneaking, especially since my car tax is only £20.

• Quite – was surprised to see it was a fixed fee like that.

• the real harry says:

I guess a lot of road tax gets paid through the Post Office, who will be charging a fixed fee to DVLA, so they need to cover that – on top of the processing fee

7. Chris Cannon says:

Hi Rob Re Qatar sale and tier points for BAEC – do the flights count as one of the 4 required for silver or do we still need to make those on BA metal in addition?

• Genghis says:

Need 4 ‘Eligible flights’ where eligible flights are defined as those flights marketed or operated by British Airways and those flights marketed and operated by Iberia.
      ‘Marketed’ means the flight will have a BA flight number (in your itinerary or on your ticket).
      ‘Operated’ means the aircraft that you travel on is a British Airways aircraft (including franchises and BACityflyer).
      ‘Marketed and operated by Iberia’ means the flight will have an IB flight number and the aircraft you travel on is an Iberia aircraft (including franchises).
      Reward bookings and agency or industry discounted bookings are not eligible.

8. Re Qatar sale

Countdown clock has reached zero but prices are still stratospheric £3k plus for LHR-BKK.

• Small print looks like it only kicks in from midnight local time, which means at 11pm the EU pricing should be live.

9. Pretty rubbish for a “HUGE” sale even though it says “save up to 50%” – LON-DXB for two at £3,169 etc.

• Isn’t midnight yet!

Look at somewhere where it is midnight. Prices are actually VERY aggressive, eg Stockholm to Cape Town £1,173.

Trackbacks

1. […] notícia vinda do blog britânico Head For Points: a primeira promoção de 2017 da Travel Festival, da Qatar Airways, já tem hora e data para […]