Bits: new BA strike dates announced, new Amazon cashback credit card launched

News in brief:

New British Airways strike dates announced

The Unite union announced yesterday that a further wave of cabin crew strikes will take place on Thursday 19th, Friday 20th and Saturday 21st January.

British Airways will announce its contingency plans on Monday.  This is likely to involve, based on the strike this week:

some flights being cancelled where a route is served by several daily BA flights

charter aircraft being used on some flights

First Class catering being replaced by Club World catering on some long haul services

Do not ring BA now and try to change any existing flight plans.  The call centre will not allow changes, unless you have a flexible ticket, until the contingency plans are released.

amazon-credit-card-mastercard

Amazon launches a good cashback credit card

With little publicity to date, Amazon has launched the Amazon Platinum MasterCard.  The package is pretty decent and it is arguably the best cashback card on the market for heavy Amazon users.

You may want to weigh up whether this is a better deal than any miles or points MasterCard or Visa you have.  Here are the core benefits:

the card is free

you receive £10 of Amazon credit for signing up

you get 0.5% cashback on all spend in Amazon credit (same rate as the John Lewis and ASDA cards)

you get 0.75% cashback on all Amazon spending (the John Lewis card gives 1% back on John Lewis and Waitrose spending, the ASDA card gives 1% on ASDA spending)

The card also looks pretty smart and is likely to be more of a hit with the boys / girls than carrying around an ASDA credit card!  The only downside is the interest rate which, at 21.9%, is very high – don’t touch this card if you ever roll over a balance.  The issuer is New Day.  Full details can be found here.  Representative APR 21.9% variable.

Book NOW: 450 IHG hotel redemptions go up on Sunday
Bits: new SPG Moments O2 tickets, Virgin East Coast sale, Clubcard bonus on HP ink

Comments

1. Does anyone know if LHR-LED (St.Petersburg) is a Mixed Fleet route? Here’s hoping it’s not!

• It is mixed fleet if I remember correctly. But as only one flight per day you’ll probably be okay (BA seemed to combine flights in the strike this week or only cancel flights where people can be rebooked to a very close alternative (think San Jose and San Francisco).

2. Duncan Stevenson-Price says:

Damn it! Flying back from DFW to LHR on the 19th in First. Was looking forward to comparing this with our outbound CW flight. I hope it’s somehow magically not affected.

• You *might* be OK as your crew will have booked onto their shift a number of days before to work the outbound LHR-DFW leg and then have a night or two rest at DFW.

3. ThinkSquare says:

I might be hugely convenienced by this strike. I have a non-refundable MAN-LHR-MAN booked for the 19th that I don’t now need to take. Assuming at least one of the legs is cancelled, based on previous strikes, would they let me change date of travel to a day in the following week?

4. Red Alan says:

Sorry I mean 2% and certain other places and 1% on everything else.

Still far better than what we get!

5. Incidentally (and semi OT), the amex gold 15 off 25 amazon spend still has availability, I did it yesterday.

6. OT – I would like to use a BA 241 to OZ 355days out. What’s my best flight path using a 241?

Any tips would be appreciated.

• Using the 241 requires BA metal so options are the BA flight to Sydney (very hard to pick up) or use the 241 as far as SIN / KUL / HKG and pick up something else from there.

• +1

MH often have good fares to Oz out of KUL in J. Just be aware (one of) the cheapest J class booking classes (I can’t remember which) doesn’t award avios or tier points. Unless that’s changed – best check BAEC site.

• Thanks Genghis but there has to be 2seats available 355 days out and we just have to ready at 12pm to book.

• Wayne Phillips says:

Only option using 241 all the way to Australia is Sydney via Singapore.

• ThinkSquare says:

Depends partly where you want to go. We went last March but I couldn’t find any availability with BA direct to Oz, so I booked MAN-LHR-KUL // HKG-LHR-MAN using the 241, then separate redemptions on MH & CX into MEL and back from BNE. (Actually there is only one J-class seat available on each flight KUL-MEL, so I bought a cheap economy ticket, and entered their upgrade auction, which I won with a bid of about £200).

To be honest I wouldn’t want to go that far with BA again. Would rather spend more points and use QR or CX all the way.

• ThinkSquare says:

Just trying to remember the other connection options I considered…
      Tokyo (choice of 2 airports served by BA)
      Shanghai
      Seoul
      Bangkok
      Singapore

7. OT – sorry; I looked through a bunch of the ‘favourites’ articles but there aren’t many on Virgin!

I have just discovered a small stash of Virgin Flying Club points (c.14,000) from years ago when I used to collect these rather than Nectar points for train journeys – the reason for this switch being that I have no main source of Virgin miles, so will never accumulate enough for a redemption.

What’s the best use of these? I have seen some comments about transferring them to IHG or Hilton HHonors, both of which are possible for me; but before I go ahead I wanted to make sure I’m not missing anything more obvious.

Thanks in advance.

• the real harry1 says:

have you kept them live/ unexpired?

• Harry is right, either one of the £50 vouchers or move to a hotel. Pretty much same value either way but IHG points would count towards status.

• Aren’t 10,000 virgin miles enough for a 1 way economy to the east coast USA now? Taxes are high going to the US but only about £80 on the way back, use avios for iberia/air berlin/aer lingus to the states and it’s a cheap return to America

8. Will Squires says:

Agreed – or NatWest Reward (which has a £24/year fee, waived for holders of the £3/month NatWest Reward current account which itself is a very good product). 1% at supermarkets, 1% on contactless (time limited but extended several times already), 0.5% elsewhere.

9. Premier01 says:

OT:know a lot of the QR sale fares have gone but looking for Ex-EU to HKG- any suggestions appreciated!

• Hi Premier, you just have to look at robs list then link into the QR sale site to chase HKG seats. Think maybe from HEL, ARN, maybe Italy. But you need to keep putting in various departure points like l did. We finally got our HEL HKT HEL for 960. Def options for HKG. Or you may need to do cheapest to BKK, then hop on avios with CX or MAS to HKG, which we did one time. Enjoy the lounges there, best in the world. The PIER or the WING, both fabulous.

10. New Day are currently doing a lot of Rewards Cards and Co-brand cards. I genuinely don’t know how they can afford to pay for these rewards points as the rewards elements is higher than the interchange kick backs that issuers get… It just doesn’t make any commercial sense…