Two hotel schemes where you earn more Avios with Iberia Plus than with BA

In this article yesterday I asked for your help in confirming whether Accor had cut their transfer rate into Avios or whether it was a typo.  It seems to be a typo on their website, luckily.

This means that, if you collect Avios points via your hotel stays, there are still two hotel schemes which let you earn in Iberia Plus and British Airways, but where Iberia Plus is more lucrative.

The origins of this date back to when British Airways and Iberia had their own totally separate loyalty currencies.  It made no difference if one scheme got a better deal than the other because you could not switch your points over.  Since Avios became the currency for both schemes in 2011, most of these arbitrages have gone – but a couple still remain.

Here are the two chains you need to remember:

Hilton Group (Hilton, Conrad, Waldorf-Astoria, DoubleTree, Hampton etc)

You need to be a member of Hilton HHonors to collect Avios from your stays.  You need to set your Hilton account to ‘Hilton HHonors points + airline miles’, which will give you 10 Hilton HHonors points per $1 plus some miles.  The alternative earning option is to take 15 Hilton HHonors points per $1 and no miles.

When you choose to earn some Avios, as you can check here, you earn:

In British Airways Executive Club – 1 Avios per $1 spent

In Iberia Plus – 15 Avios per $10 spent

Subject to a small rounding error to get you to the nearest $10, you are 50% better off crediting your stay to Iberia Plus and moving your Avios points to avios.com or British Airways Executive Club using ‘Combine My Avios’.

(Note that Hilton caps the number of Iberia Plus Avios you can earn at 1,000 Avios points per stay as I discussed in this article.  The BA cap is 10,000 Avios.  If you are planning a stay costing more than $650 you should bear this in mind.  Iberia is NOT the best choice for an expensive stay.)

You can beat both of these rates by crediting your stays to Virgin Atlantic and earning 2 miles per £1, but that is a topic for a different article.

Hilton Venice

Le Club AccorHotels (Novotel, Sofitel, Mercure, Ibis, M Gallery etc)

The arbitrage here only works when converting Le Club points into Avios points.

The rate into British Airways Executive Club is 2:1 from Le Club.   As was confirmed by HFP readers yesterday, the rate into Iberia Plus is still 1:1.  You therefore receive twice as many Avios points by converting your AccorHotels points into Iberia.

It is also easier to convert your points to Iberia Plus Avios points.  The minimum conversion if you send them to BA is 4,000 Accor points whilst the minimum Iberia conversion is just 3,000 points.

Details of Accor’s airline conversion rates can be found here.

But remember the limitations of Iberia Plus

The key thing to remember about Iberia Plus is that your account needs to be open for 90 days before you can move your points across to British Airways.  If you need the Avios points immediately and you do not already have an Iberia account, you would need to send them to BA and take the hit for the difference.

How to get 3,000 Virgin Flying Club miles from Virgin Wines
Bits: SPG / Uber earning rate cut, 80% bonus when you buy Hilton points

Comments

1. PeacefulWaters says:

e-Reward surveys also redeem at a more favourable Avios rate with Iberia.

2. Nick Burch says:

I don’t think the Hilton Iberia offer requires the $10 rounding – my last Hilton stay credited to Iberia posted as “IBERIA – AVIOS DOUBLE DIP – 187 miles”. That was for 1252 base points

3. Sididdly says:

I know the Avios minimum from Accor to Siberia is 4000 but didn’t you publish an article outlining a ‘trick’ to transfer across small or odd numbered amounts? I’m sure I transferred across a couple of thousand or so a year or two ago.

4. Sussex bantam says:

Is there’s a way of checking whether an existing Hilton booking will credit to BA or Iberia ? I’ve switched it around a lot due to recent promotions and I want to make sure an upcoming expensive stay goes to BA ? Thanks

• Only way to be sure is to confirm our at check in

• It’s set at time of booking and is shown on the booking details page for each reservation on the website.

To change it for an existing booking you need to tell the hotel at check-in/-out.

5. Have an orphaned 2,286 Accor points about to expire. Any decent ways to get it to 3,000 so I can transfer? Seems less flexible this way than many schemes.

• I THINK booking and cancelling will refresh your 2000 points. You might have to lose the 286.

Someone smarter than me will confirm soon, I imagine.

• the real harry1 says:

see answer above: search accor auto convert etc

• I think you can order a EUR40 voucher with 2000 points which you can then use later on, with a year’s validity. Might have to get it sent to a partner / friend.

6. Currently staying at Doubletree Newcastle airport.

Again like Sussex B suggests can’t remember what my prefs were RE miles/points, can I still alter before checking out?

Also I know a few will be interested, think its a nice hotel, looks like a recent refurb, friendly staff, bathroom cramped tho, design could have been better thought out, also had a few niggles with promised HH Gold upgrades and Ive raised concerns on room maintenance + lack of staff training, waiting to see what the manager suggests as suitable resolution. But I do hope to stay here again, their heart is in the right place and they genuinely want to help.

• Yes, you can change your points earning partner choice before check out. You can change p+p/p+m prefs even after checkout on the hilton.com website, up until midnight CST on the day of checkout.

7. barry Cutters says:

Iv just completed all my accelerate offers. iv got 53 of 55k, because i won’t be receiving the 2k for the credit card application. Now to spend my 530k points.
    anyone got any good ideas on best value. Was looking at skiing , but nothing really suits to be honest
    Might have to a beach holiday. Anyone been to the all inclusive holiday inn montego bay?

• Out of interest how quickly did you find the Accelerate website updated after the stay had credited to your IHG a/c?

• barry Cutters says:

weirdly i can’t seem to access the accelerate status through my account. i normally come to headforpoints and use the link on here.
        I stayed at the Amstel in Amsterdam for 4 nights 9-13th and points posted on 16th. The accelerate target was hit on 20th. so i guess its about 2-3 days for regular points and a week for accelerate.
        I think i had the same suite as rob in the amstel actually.
        Would really recommend the crowne plaza amsterdam south also. we booked a club room for 3 nights and they upgraded me to ‘the biggest suite in the hotel’ it was huge!! big bedroom with sliding door, a massive living room, free minibar, gift of bottle decent wine on arrival and big bar of chocolate. there was even a big walk in wardrobe room.
        just a shame no pool.

• Ah OK, a week sounds about what I remember from before, thanks.

Nice result with CP Amsterdam!

• ankomonkey says:

InterContinental Danang Sun Peninsula Resort – would love to redeem for this…one day…

***Posted twice as managed to post it on its own/not as reply. Too much moonshine!***

• I’ve not been but a friend of mine who’s been lots to the Caribbean said he didn’t recommend Jamaica as place to go on holiday.

• What did he say about Jamaica? Great food though.

• the real harry1 says:

my elder bro had a great time there, cheap, good food, friendly locals lol

• It’s the only place hrs been repeatedly asked if he wants to buy drugs just walking down the street and felt a bit unsafe.

• barry Cutters says:

Netherlands, Columbia, Peru, Dominican republic, Antigua, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, USA, UK, Spain, Poland, Czech, Ukraine. -All places iv been offered drugs on the street.

……….Canada i had to ask :)

• ankomonkey says:

8. Mark newstart! says:

O/T
    accelerate offers ………. I normally book two rooms when we stay for the family
    one my targets is for so many stays With me booking two rooms would this count as one stay or two?

• With IHG it is only one room. Different schemes have different rules – Starwood will give you elite credit for up to 3 rooms per stay for example.

Best to sign up your wife for IHG so she gets her own Accelerate target and you put a room in her name.