Bits: 2400 Avios with a Nerf gun, Virgin joins TSA pre-check, Radisson / Park Inn sales extended

News in brief:

2,400 Avios or 2,500 Virgin miles with a Nerf gun

Until tomorrow night, Tesco Direct is offering 1,000 bonus Clubcard points – worth 2,400 Avios or 2,500 Virgin miles – with selected Nerf toys.

The minimum spend is £40.  Full details are in this Shopper Points article.

TSA-Pre-Check

Virgin Atlantic joins TSA pre-check

Virgin Atlantic has joined the list of transatlantic airlines – which excludes British Airways – to offer access to TSA pre-check for qualified flyers.

TSA pre-check allows you to skip the main security lines when departing from the US.  However, it is only valid if (for UK citizens) you have signed up for Global Entry.  This requires an interview at the US Embassy in London, if they are still offering them, or else in the US.

For those of us who only make occasional trips to the US, this will not benefit you.  If you do have Global Entry, there is now an additional reason to fly out of the US on Virgin Atlantic.

Full details are on this page of the Virgin website.

Radisson Hamburg 350

Radisson and Park Inn sales extended

Radisson Blu and Park Inn have both extended their winter sales which were due to end next week.  It covers the UK, Ireland, France, Spain and Belgium.

Both will apparently now continue until 26th February although the websites still show 31st January.  You can book discounted rooms for weekend stays until 31 August 2017.

The Radisson Blu page is here and the Park Inn page is here.  This sale would also tie in with the generous new Club Carlson promotion.

New IHG PointBreaks list of 129 x 5,000 point hotels, book on Monday
Good Heathrow Rewards sign-up deal - 2,500 Avios, Virgin, Lufthansa, Etihad or Emirates miles!

Comments

1. Always fly with AA transatlantic. Much better product than BA.

We then get TSA precheck on departure and internal.

• No EU261 protection on your return leg then though – I’ve got the scars from spending a night in JFK airport thanks to AA’s appalling customer service there (2h rolling delays throughout the night) – eventually got some AA points after lots of complaining but would have preferred €600!

2. Guesswho2000 says:

I’ve never been enrolled in global entry, but when I was an AA Elite I used to have TSA Precheck, it made security much easier. I’ve got no idea whether I’d still have it if I flew AA now, or how I had it in the first place, but there you go! Was always a funny experience, as if be pointed down the precheck line, then have to wait for my better half to emerge from the normal channel.

• I saw reports yesterday that the TSA will be offering Pre-Check to fewer people who aren’t enrolled in an eligible scheme and have a ‘known traveler’ [sic] number.

I’d recommend GE to anyone who visits the US on even a semi-regular basis. I’ve had it since the UK pilot a couple of years ago and its saved me literally hours of waiting since then. The only exception was at Dublin’s pre-clearance, where I still had to queue for an agent to manually check my passport even after using the GE kiosk. He questioned why I didn’t have any other US stamps in my passport and flat out refused to believe me when I said that you totally skip a manual check when using GE on the other side of the pond. I guess he had alternative facts…

• littlefish says:

My last US arrival, GE machine gave me the confirmatory printouts … yet I was still required to show passport to a booth agent (who was very jolly) She stamped my Passport and had me on my way in 30 secs; the issue being I nearly got caught up in a Q. In that 30 seconds another 3 arrivals joined plus the Cabin Crew from an earlier flight.
        So yes, as with DUB, there are alternative norms in the way GE flows.

• Mrs xcalx and I always have a boarding pass showing TSA pre approved, usually travelling in Business.
      One OW Sapphire (air Berlin) one no status. Never applied for global entry.

3. TSA pre is also coming to BA (unless this weeks announcement has changed anything), this has been discussed quite a lot on Flyertalk.

4. FYI – Hotel Promotions page currently says “No Club Carlson promotion” – I know because I checked before a stay this week, and so didn’t register for the promo referenced in the article. Might be worth updating…

5. OT
    Yesterday I was buying some gift cards in Morrison’s to get points etc. when I found some Pay.com cards. I tried to buy one to experiment but they would not even pretend to go through the till.
    So no change there then.
    I will check in Tesco on Monday.

6. Affects us?

>Sec. 8. Visa Interview Security. (a) The Secretary of State shall immediately suspend the Visa Interview Waiver Program and ensure compliance with section 222 of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1222, which requires that all individuals seeking a nonimmigrant visa undergo an in-person interview, subject to specific statutory exceptions.

7. Affects any of us?

• No, because UK citizens never needed an interview anyway.

• Nope – lots of blogs mistakenly thought it was going to affect Visa Waiver Programme, but thankfully this is something different – just to avoid the need to have an interview when renewing a visa, but most UK travellers will be travelling without a visa under VWP so it won’t matter.

8. the real harry1 says:
    • Which works how? Can only be done by transferring from some foreign credit cards which have lax name matching systems.

• the real harry1 says:

the guy gives his phone number, he has good reputation & track record, you wouldn’t go for 1 million @1p the first time but just test the legitimacy with a smaller order

probably known to hfp 🙂

• You’re missing the point. Technically this cannot be done except via a few unique circumstances with people not based in the UK, so it is clearly a front for an overseas group irrespective of the £5 per month VPN phone number they may be using.

• TGLoyalty says:

They are selling the login to accounts with Avios in them by the looks of it which can be done

• Obviously that can be done. But that is HUGELY risky because BA gets a warning flag if a) an Avios redemption is made for someone with a different surname to the account holder, b) the account holder does not pay the taxes and especially c) the redemption does not start or finish in the country where the account is based. I know someone who did this and BA closed the account and wiped 400,000 Avios.

• Presumably accounts which they have hacked, and changed login details so that they have control over them.My wife’s account was hacked, her email address and password changed numerous times. Eventually BAEC agreed to open a new account and transfer everything across. Been OK since – quickly touching wood!

• the real harry1 says:

that is an interesting possibility

I know this guy giving his phone number & address doesn’t actually signify safety

steer clear – there are better ways to get 1 million Avios for 1p each 🙂

9. Just come back from Radisson Blu Berlin and were offered a 50% reduction on breakfasts. Not sure if it’s part of the sale or not but may be worth knowing if thinking of staying.