EXCLUSIVE: Get £15 of free beer, in a Gatwick bar, with Priority Pass or Lounge Club!

OK, this is a weird one.  But I can’t help thinking that it will be welcomed by some Head for Points readers!

Priority Pass and Lounge Club, the airport lounge access cards, have opened a new lounge at Gatwick South.  Remember that British Airways moved to Gatwick South two weeks ago, so this is very timely.

The new lounge is …. a bar.

To be precise …. The Grain Store Cafe & Bar.

Grain Store Gatwick

Obviously this is not an airport lounge.  It’s a bar.  In an airport.

The terms and conditions are simple.  Turn up at The Grain Store Cafe & Bar, flash your Priority Pass or Lounge Club card, and you will receive £15 per person off your bill.  You can charge as many guests as you like to your pass, although you will obviously be recharged later on if you are beyond your guesting limit.

This is quite tempting.  I have an American Express Platinum card which comes with two free Priority Pass cards.  Each allows me a free guest.  If my wife and I turn up at The Grain Store Cafe & Bar with our kids, we will get a £60 discount on our bill.  And if we’re still hungry or thirsty, we can pop into the No 1 Lounge anyway …..

This is also a decent way of using the two Lounge Club passes that come with American Express Preferred Rewards Gold.  ‘Take out our card and get £30 of free beer’ – now that’s a selling point!

Thanks to Jeremy for this.

My review of LATAM 787 Business Class Madrid to Frankfurt
Why earning Avios via a Tesco current account is now more attractive

Comments

1. Panic over. I think it’s just how the page appeared to me as I had been logged in previously. Still not sure where my 20000 bonus points are though…..!

2. OT but just received this from Bristol Airport….
    Soak up the sun in Spain and Italy

From May, British Airways will begin direct return flights from Bristol to the beautiful Spanish destinations Malaga, Ibiza and Palma, as well as a brand new flight to the Italian city of Florence.

These flights will operate on the modern Embraer 190 jet aircraft and will run once a week at weekends.

Fly to Palma from £45 each way*

Fly to Florence from £49 each way*

Fly to Ibiza from £49 each way*

Fly to Malaga from £59 each way*

• I just got this too, I hope it is the start of many more routes!

• Perhaps the title London Airways is unfair now? How about English Airways or at least South of England Airways?

• the real harry1 says:

great news! :)

• Easier to get to your Marbs pad from Cornwall?

• the real harry1 says:

ye gods I’d love to go back to Florence & now it looks dead easy – I spent a year there as a student and as you can imagine I walked/ took the bus absolutely everywhere & knew the place like the back of my hand. At the time students got in free to most of the galleries so I used to pop into the Uffizi about 2-3 times a week when there were no queues just to look at my favourites for perhaps 20 minutes & take in a few new ones – I must have gone there over 50 times plus my other favourites, the Accademia, the cathedrals etc. Money was always on my mind & we found ways to get the heavily subsidised student canteen vouchers so ate pretty well. At one time I was living with two girls (Swedish & Norwegian) then I eventually settled down with 3 Italian girls studying at the university but from Sicily, they invited me down which was brilliant as well, none of them girlfriends though :) Got loads of Florence tips…

• the real harry1 says:

when I had a down moment, I once p!ssed off from where I was not liking it much, rang up Cetti in Rome (then), flew there & just camped out with her for a few days.

Good to have friends :)

• Haha I thought we’d worked out Harry’s pad is Central Europe…?

3. This looks like a great option for us – family of 3 (soon to be 4)… £15/30 towards coffees/lunch will be much more useful than going to a normal lounge – might actually get some use out of the Gold passes (or do a Plat upgrade shortly before!)

4. Anybody else having HFP pages jump to the advert at bottom of page for the Fifty Shades movie? Very annoying…

• FlyingChris says:

HFP is whitelisted on my adblocker, but the Fifty Shades autoplaying video advert at the bottom of the page is particularly annoying/intrusive with the page jumping to it automatically.

• Weird, it is only happening in Safari on certain machines. I still haven’t seen it. I will drop the ad agency an email.

• Yeah i’m trying on Safari

• Ok. We are going to turn it off for Mac users. May take 24 hours though. Ironically the agency is also PC based and cannot replicate it.

• Still happening 1:20am on Fri 10th.

SO annoying! Please ensure the agency is aware that I will never watch this damn awful film on principle alone!!

5. OT Have there been any updates on when exactly in April (provided still on course) the BA First Wing will open at T5?

6. OT – Any idea what happens when you get a refund on BAPP which takes you back under the 10k spend but you already have the companion voucher in your account?

• Nothing

• Wow that’s interesting ( :

• If you make a habit of it the Amex might stop giving you a card. Personally I’d add transactions back on to clear the underspend before closing the account, but up to you…

• Agreed. That’s why I don’t really agree with the refundable hotel / flight method to hit a sign up bonus.

• yes exactly that’s what I will do before I cancel the card! I just cancelled a reward flight with a 241 and rebooked but the new spend went onto another card which was beneficial to hit the spend on that one!

• I had a QR J ticket refunded and relieved that spend just missed the £10k level albeit since achieved as did not want triggered at the time.

Interestingly the “Avios to be transferred” box showed a negative figure until said spend matched but certainly Jo claw back of Avios already deposited into BAEC account in the interim. Which I would have accepted.

7. Pilsanils says:

I have the pay as you go variant of the priority pass. Will this offer count as a visit which I will be charged for, and then just have the bill reduced by the same £15 as was taken from my account?

• Yes – it’s mainly of use to those with unlimited PP visits (esp Amex Plat where we get a free guest)

8. the real harry1 says:

anybody got the £50 off £200 on Amex Travel?

9. So both wife and I have our own Amex plats, so 2 PP cards each – each of which is allowed a guest.

Hmmmmm
    Wonder if I could get £120 off my bill here?
    Do they sell Krug?!!

• Stephen Thomson says:

Not £120 I think buy 4 x 15 as it’s 1 quid a head so £60 but still not a bad deal at all and would work out well for us as a family of 4.

• Stephen Thomson says:

Sorry, ignore me, re-read your post, I was thinking of a plat plus supp rather than 2 plats. Hope you’re not planning on sharing the Krug with all those people!!

10. Simon Schus says:

Any idea how long this offer will continue for?

11. Wally1976 says:

Hope this is still running in August when I bring my family through LGW. Should have Amex plat by then so reckon we’ll get there nice and early for our 11am flight, go for breakfast in here before heading to one of the lounges for a couple of pre-flight beverages :-)

• We are planning to so the same in May. And they now accept HSBC elite Lounge key, so even more options for those who use that too. So nicer breakfast at grain store, followed by no 1 lounge some drinks etc.. Should be nicer experience flying from LGW now.

Trackbacks

1. […] the club lounge at the Sofitel London Heathrow Terminal 5 is now a Priority Pass lounge. Well, now Grain Store Cafe & Bar at London Gatwick is as well — you get a £15 credit per person, so a family of four would get a £60 credit. […]