Bits: 2400 Avios for £60 of LEGO, Nobu Hotel Shoreditch open for reservations

News in brief:

Good new LEGO deal launched at Tesco Direct

Tesco Direct has launched a good new LEGO promotion.  You will receive 1,000 bonus Clubcard points (worth 2,400 Avios or 2,500 Virgin miles) when you spend £60 of LEGO Friends before Monday night.

You may remember this memorable article by a HFP reader who set up a small business reselling LEGO bought in a similar promotion last year!  If you know what you’re doing it is possible to buy Avios very cheaply this way.

The easier option, of course, is to buy the LEGO as presents for any young girls in your life.

The list of boxes available is here.  You can find our more in this Shopper Points article here in which Anika channels her inner 8-year old to pick out some good options!

Lego Friends

Nobu Hotel Shoreditch now open for reservations

The most anticipated London hotel opening of the year is probably the Nobu Hotel Shoreditch, just off Great Eastern Street.

Opening in June 2017, it will have 143 guest rooms and seven suites and includes a 240 seat Nobu Shoreditch restaurant.

Apparently “The materiality of the property references its Shoreditch location and the history of one of London’s most culturally rich districts” but I will leave that to you to decide.  I have seen it under construction and it does look impressive, although I have some doubts about the location given the room rates, which currently start at £238 per night pre-paid.

The hotel website launched this week and bookings are now being taken if you want to be among the first to try it out.  It is only accepting bookings from late July at present although this should be brought forward at some point.

Nobu shoreditch room

New staff photos!

At the Qatar Airways stand at the Business Travel Show last week, they had hired a photographer to take professional head shots of visiting guests.

Anika and I took this opportunity to update the fairly old photographs that we were using on the site.  You can see the new versions on the ‘Contact’ page here.  Qudos to Qatar for this, as we would otherwise have continued to use the old ones until I was well into my 50’s …..

BA responds to my question on 2-4-1 downgrade compensation
Bits: Amex Platinum (US) goes metallic, £19 Monarch deal, Uber hits Chichester

Comments

1. Daniel Evans says:

If you factor in that it is a double Avios weekend on avios.com (4/£ at Tesco Direct) + plus paying on BA Premium Card (1.5/£) you are getting almost 3000 Avios for £60 spend.

• Tilly71 says:

A lot cheaper ways out there for collecting 3000 avios!

• Daniel Evans says:

Not if you resell at a profit.

• Tilly71 says:

You will be lucky, after ebay fees and postage costs etc you won’t make any profit but maybe a small loss if you very lucky.
          The race to the botom has already started on ebay, people underpricing to sell.

• Daniel Evans says:

Well obvs. don’t sell it on EBay then.

• Scottydogg says:

I done it at Christmas time , bought 2 boxes of minecraft lego and sold them through facebook . Only lost a couple of pounds but was worth it for the Avios

• But if you are in the market for Lego then you’re laughing.

• If you get it collected to the store they just stick the sticker on the box which is hard to get off and likely to damaged. Get it delivered if you have delivery saver and it might arrive OK. Too many damaged sets for me to bother anymore.

2. OT: Has anyone had their Economist subscription Avios turn up yet?

3. Daniel Evans says:

I’m laughing all the way to Bangkok and back in Club World thank you very much Tesco and Lego.

• Genghis says:

What’s your experience in buying and selling lego? I.e. how much were you paying for your avios (or was it an overall profit)?

• Tilly71 says:

Genghis- ebay resell on lego has become cut throat since about 6 months back. There is a lot more people in on this game nowadays and buy multiples at a time, list them on ebay undercutting everyone to sell on as quick as possible.
        There is a lot of people like mums now in on the act probably doing it for x4 on meals out vouchers so with undercutting going on widespread most sell at a loss unless you hold onto the items for a while and then sell when all gone.

• Genghis says:

It all seems too much hassle and not a valuable return on my time. Much easier to get 92k avios from a couple of Amex Plats and spending £4k IMO.

• Tilly71 says:

Like you mentioned earlier, maybe the term “profit” is based on what most pay per avios point but not cash profit and free avios.

• the real harry1 says:

I could get it to work @ 0.35p/ point & maybe a bit better than that, it would rely on patience & a fair bit of work, though – & I CBA at the moment

• Mr Dee says:

Yes but its not a one or the other deal, you can do both, its worth it if you are Avios poor and don’t have any other options but as others have said Lego is competitive especially when Amazon is price matching Tesco.

Lets be honest the Lego is overpriced anyway for a bit of plastic hehe

• Be careful not to sell too much as the tax man will be after you

• Genghis says:

True – frequency of similar transactions if one of the badges of ‘trade’, which could then lead to a higher administrative burden, even if you’re making a cash loss.

• Jame67 says:

@Daniel, then I’m afraid you are very misguided then, it is BA and Tesco who are laughing and you have been duped.

4. Sundar says:

OT, didnt want to disturb the BA thread for today…Datapoint for Avios 250 offer for Aero Club –
    I have received the sign-up offer from AeroClub for 250 Avios in a newly created Avios account for my wife.
    I have not received the same for my already existing Avios account so far.

• Andrew* says:

Still waiting; no reply to previous emails.

I think someone said they had success via Twitter…

5. OT – Trouble with His-n-Her card

Mrs Roger is angry with me as I am using “her” card to buy supermarket GCs for sign up bonus and out of blue Amex thought it was some fraudulent transaction and decided to call her.
    Poor her, had no idea what was going on. She probably doesn’t even know which card it is related to!

• Genghis says:

That’s happened to Mrs G a few times. Supposedly large transactions at Tesco are a fraud alert and likewise at Co-Op (was paying at Paypoint). Treat Mrs Roger well to nice flights and hotels and I’m sure she’ll come to realise she has to take the rough with the smooth.

6. Tilly71 says:

Good luck to anyone who manages to sell lego at more than purchase prices on the high street, there must be a lot of stupid people out there who would pay more.

• Tim Nice But Dim says:

There are Tilly! And just because you can’t do the maths properly, doesn’t mean that others can’t!

• Tilly71 says:

Thanks Dim, Im fine at maths but like I said if someone has found a way to sell a product at a lot more than can be purchased from a high street retailer then good for them, hats off!

• Tim how much are you prepared to pay for miles via Tesco?

• Tim Nice But But Dim says:

£66 cash outlay. 2% back on that straight up. Sell for £55 worse case scenario undercutting everyone else on a £1 listing deal. Bank £25 of Avios points in addition to the 2%. Give Paypal 2%. Give Royal Mail £2.85. Quids in by about £14 by my reckoning. But I fly to get my Avios points. So what would I know?!@

• Tilly71 says:

So Tim, looking at your “math” as you put it your not actually making any profit and your making a loss as you sell at £10 less than what you paid and you have fees on top. Are you keeping hold of stock then as no £1 FVF promo on at mo? These sets will be more than £2.85 @ RM.
          It looks like you basing your profit margin on paying 1p per avios which is far too high for people who know their math.

• Well PayPal is 3.4% plus 20p. Its too big and heavy to go on a second class service so it would need to go via my Hermes who are just increasing their prices. Sending unrecorded is asking for trouble with chargebacks and people claiming it hasn’t arrived. Good luck storing all that Lego whilst waiting for a £1 deal on the eBay final value fees.

7. the real harry1 says:

decent Virgin Wines deal £60 with 2 free glasses free delivery – quote your Virgin membership for 3000 points on first order, making the wines £2.50/ bottle if you value the points @ 1p

new customers

8. “buy the LEGO as presents for any young girls in your life.”

Ageist and sexist! 😛

• Daniel MacDonald says:

Shirt-gate here we come!!!

• the real harry1 says:

yep it’s all Lego for girls, young girls at that

no problem if you make your 8 year old lad wear a dress but they’ll by nature be more interested in football, biffing their enemies at school & roughty toughty computer games

• I’m sure my mother will attest to how glad I was (not) to wear dresses as an 8 yr old. I was as likely to be out playing football as my brother and gurle lego didn’t exist, but it didn’t stop me building things.

But why shouldn’t lads play with lego ponies and vet surgeries? They don’t have to wear dresses while doing it.

But I will be buying my Adorable Nieces and Gorgeous Goddaughter (all in their 20s) and probably my mum, the set of Lego Women of NASA when they are released later in the year.

• SteveO says:

• As I’ve worn a dress 5 times this century, I’m fine with knowing how many shirts I can fit in a wardrobe!

9. the real harry1 says:

FREE17 £15 credit on Uber – new customers

more useful – people are reporting that simply changing your card details on existing Uber a/cs gets you a £15 credit

• Someone told me last week they had got the ‘headforpoints’ £15 credit to work despite being an existing customer – perhaps that is why.

• the real harry1 says:

worth a few people trying it, easy to change your card details & fiddle with codes – £15 not to be sniffed at! 🙂 – not an Uber customer, myself, as we live in the sticks