Bits: £1350 Etihad business to Asia, win a Caribbean holiday, Etihad 20% transfer bonus

News in brief:

Etihad business class to Asia from £1350

Courtesy of Flyertalk comes an interesting Etihad promotion from Germany (pick your starting point – Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich, Dusseldorf) to many parts of Asia.

As a typical fare, Dusseldorf to Bangkok comes out at €1596 (£1350) return.  Similar fares are available to Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur and potentially elsewhere.

You must travel outbound between 18 April and 30 June.

From Dusseldorf, you want the daily 787 flight in order to get the impressive new Business Class Studio I reviewed here and is shown below.  This is the best option.  If you fly from Berlin the first leg will be on airberlin and not on Etihad so that is less interesting.  (You can’t credit the airberlin flight to British Airways as it has an Etihad flight number.)  Frankfurt has the older A330 seating, as does Munich.

You can either credit the miles to Etihad Guest (and top them up later via Amex Membership Rewards, the UK Etihad credit card, Heathrow Rewards etc) or a partner.  American Airlines is an obvious one given that you could redeem the miles on BA.

The Etihad home page is here.  The Etihad page showcasing the Business Class Studio is here.

Etihad business class studio

Win a week in the Caribbean with Luxury Travel Diary

Our friends at Luxury Travel Diary are currently running a competition giving away a week in the Caribbean.

The prize is a week at the Grand Laguna Beach resort in the Dominican Republic (picture below) for 6 people.  The prize excludes flights and transfers but that is where a pile of frequent flyer miles comes in handy.  The lack of flights is also likely to reduce the number of people who enter.

To enter all you need to do is sign up for the Luxury Travel Diary newsletter here.  You can unsubscribe at any time.  The competition closes on 10th April.

GrandLaguna

Etihad launches a 20% conversion bonus on hotel, HSBC and Heathrow Rewards points

Speaking of Etihad, Etihad Guest has launched a 20% bonus on points you transfer into their scheme.

You can find details of participating Etihad’s partners on the Etihad website here.

Relevant partners for UK readers are:

Heathrow Rewards
HSBC Premier
Club Carlson
Hilton Honors
IHG Rewards Club
Le Club AccorHotels
Marriott Rewards
Shangri-La Golden Circle

Starwood Preferred Guest

World of Hyatt

The bonus also applies to ADCB TouchPoints, Citibank UAE, Emirates Islamic Bank, Joyalukkas, NBAD Stars, Boubyan Bank and Etisalat Rewards transfers.  Note also that the promo website has a mistake where it discusses Starwood – the correct number of miles for a 20,000 point conversion is, pre bonus, 25,000.

It does NOT apply to transfers from American Express Membership Rewards.

The deadline for transfers is 30th April. Transfers must be initiated by that date.

My review of my recent Etihad A380 First Class Apartment flight will run next week.

Earn TRIPLE Avios with Accor - at least 7.5 per €1 (but make sure you choose Iberia)
How to use your Starbucks card for free foreign currency conversions!

Comments

1. OT – there are some new Amex offers out this morning, including House of Fraser.

2. Where is this on FT?

3. James67 says:

OT: Indirectly, another potential spanner in the works for our hobby. Getting tired of everbody having to pay the consequences of those who are stupid, or simply irresponsible with money.

4. Frenske says:

Are there no direct flights to the Dominican Republic from London!?

5. OT been given a diamond Hilton challenge of 21 nights in 90 days. Was told the 8 stays in 90 days was not possible.

• That’s annoying. I’ve just asked for this match. I have 8 nights booked over 3 stays in the next 90 days so I thought that I could rustle up another 5 cheap one-night stays if it meant Diamond until 3/19. I don’t fancy doing 13 mattress run nights though! It would only make sense if I found myself in Sheffield and booked 15 nights in the Hampton in one block for 150k points, although that isn’t exactly a great deal either.

• Agreed. I am still a little unsure whether if it is hit diamond only after the offer if successful, or have diamond for 90 days and if you fail the offer revert back.

• Latter – you get it for 90 days.

• I have a couple of Hilton reward nights in San Francisco this weekend, but my diamond match (from IHG) ran out on 1st April.

I applied for another match and today, Hilton offered me the same deal – 90 days extension, but 8 stays to retain it.

• It seems to be the former. Account now says reach diamond in 21 nights. Status still the same. Will be status matching via BW diamond as soon as I can find a cheap stay somewhere…

• Michael says:

I was also downgraded from Platinum to Silver on 1 April.
      How did you apply for a status match? I applied over 24hours ago via https://hiltonhonors.hiltonapps.com/ but have yet to hear anything and want to wait until Hilton confirm before I make any bookings for stays next week in the USA.

• You were told to wait 5 days after submitting the form …..

• Mark1980 says:

If you applied for the challenge but didn’t complete it (and therefore only got a 90 day extension), what would happen to bookings you made whilst you had your extension? For example if I booked a stay now (whilst I was diamond) for 2018 – would the hotel see my status as it is now at the time of booking or my 2018 status when I arrived at the hotel?

• Ask on LC

• Historically Hilton has worked this way. However I am not prepared to risk it given that I will lose lounge access in Tokyo if they realise I have dropped, hence the 90 day match application yesterday.

I MIGHT try to hit 8 stays given the Amex £50 cash rebate on £250 of stays plus the other bonus point offers. Would require a few trips to Hampton Croydon unfortunately!

• Michael says:

Thanks Rob. Silly me.

• Ok it is 21 nights as a challenge. 8 stays for a status match from another highest tier hotel membership…

6. Peter K says:

Just read some reviews on the Caribbean hotel in the comp and it doesn’t sound that great. Not high quality and still under construction. It is free, but as with anything, do since research 🙂

7. the real harry1 says:

We’re getting a lot more of these ‘bad for BA’ stories such as Pensioner forced to sit in wet clothes for 13 hours after BA crew refused to let her use toilet http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/ba-staff-refused-to-let-pensioner-use-the-toilet/

I wonder what it all means? Reporters picking up on the negative vibe and happy to stick the knife in? I hope so, BA Mgt is appalling at the moment, well, Cruz is, anyway – and he’s BA.

So the little old lady couldn’t hold it in, begged to go to the loo, was refused & pee’d in her seat? I’m not sure I believe it, as most BA crew would have said go on then, be quick. I’ve been in that situation, said I’m bursting and they did say be quick.

More to the point: are we seeing public opinion VERY rapidly switching negative on BA? So we should, Cruz is so bad for BA that the Board should move in and replace him as soon as decently possible, no wonder they didn’t sanction his bonus for last year, he’s destroying BA’s Brand Value down into deeply negative territory.

• TRH – How’s your MCOL for the BoB coming along? 🙂

• the real harry1 says:

as per previous I’m waiting until I get a few flights out of the way so that there’s nothing vindictive sent my way in terms of flights cancelled by them

happy to wait, I’ve got 6 years

8. the real harry1 says:

O/T read it & weep Sussex Bantam Why a ‘significantly undervalued’ pound will bounce back this year http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/02/significantly-undervalued-pound-will-bounce-back-year/

big implications for points people if I happens to be true

• Sussex bantam says:

Hmm. The daily telegraph. Such a reliable source of brexit information.

We will see.

9. Simon Howard says:

OT – Just noticed that the Amex Gold to Platinum upgrade page offering 20,000 MR points (which disappeared some time last year) has now re-appeared: https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/platinum-charge/upgrade/

• the real harry1 says:

interesting visuals

she’s 30+, the kids in the image below may be hers, she’s reclining in a non-sexual way but showing some thigh, she’s made it – or are we to suppose that her man has made it? in order to keep her in this Virgin/ Necker Island manner?

This is Plat, this is what you get for your £450 – success

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

Urgh. Just got my Plat a few weeks ago so I’ll have to wait until the next churn. Happy it’s back as this was my preferred route to MR’s.

• Topp2015 says:

How quickly does the mr points post one upgraded from gold to plat / spent £1k in reality? Says up to 60 days on this link https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/platinum-charge/upgrade/ that Simon posted.

10. OT Hilton upgrades via Amex Plat – just a data point, put request through for additional cardholder yesterday evening – upgraded from Silver to Gold by this evening :O Very impressed (and pretty shocked!) at this speed.

• I did an upgrade request last week after loss of Diamond status so i can get my free brekkie again. Still waiting.

Fortunately, when i did the Hilton status match offer last year Hilton mucked it up and created a new account for me, i then got them to transfer status to an existing account. Checked the account they had created for me and have Diamond status though till 2018!

However after all that tonight i have made use of Amex Plat Jade status with Shangri La which gets me free breakfast. Also finally found a use for my IHG points (despite Spire Ambassador status i have lost all interest in IHG) by booking the IC Strings in Tokyo.

11. Letsfly says:

Off topic, bit why do I never ever ever get any Amex offers

12. I know its a few days ago now, but it looks like the piece is incorrect when it says the Etihad transfer bonus doesn’t apply to HSBC premier. Although HSBC is neither listed on the included nor the excluded list, it is prominently placed on the Etihad bonus miles page.