Bits: Hilton / Amex cashback, bonus Avios with stationery, Avios debit card now available again

News in brief:

Hilton / Amex cashback deal now open to all Amex cards

American Express has been running a cashback deal recently with selected Hilton Group hotels across the UK and Europe.

You receive a £50 statement credit when you spend £250.  Whilst it is not stated in the rules, the spend appears to be cumulative and does not need to be hit in one stay.

The offer has now appeared on the Amex Connect website – click here.  This means that any personal American Express card can be registered even if it is issued by MBNA, Barclays or Lloyds.

You need to stay (or have a prepaid booking charged to your card) by 8th May.  Don’t forget to register and remember to check the list of participating hotels before you stay.

Thanks to Dan.

HILTON PARIS OPERA

2,400 Avios or 2,500 Virgin miles with £70 of stationery

Tesco Direct has launched a new style of promotional deal – with stationery.  Until 27th April, if you spend £70 on these stationery items at Tesco Direct you will receive 1,000 bonus Clubcard points.  These transfer into 2,400 Avios or 2,500 Virgin miles.

You can learn more in this Shopper Points article.

Post It Notes

Only Avios-earning debit card now available again

Tesco Bank has reopened its current account to new applications.  It recently relaunched with an exceptionally generous deal but, swamped by applicants, it was withdrawn and the criteria tightened.

You receive:

a debit card which earns 0.3 Avios per £1 spent (you actually get 1 Clubcard point per £8 spent which gets you 2.4 Avios per £8 spent, note that you need to spend at least £8 per transaction to earn any points from it)

you will earn 3% credit interest on up to £3000, guaranteed until April 2019

your debit card will earn 1 Clubcard point for every £1 you spend on it in Tesco – this is a very generous 2.4 Avios or 2.5 Virgin miles – and this rate is guaranteed until April 2019

There are new rules on opening an account:

you must set up 3 direct debits

you must pay in £750 per month

If you make a lot of debit card payments or spend a lot in Tesco – or just want to earn an easy £90 per year in interest on £3000 of your savings – this is worth a look.  You can apply here.  Thanks to Taran.

What is the best hotel scheme? - IHG Rewards Club - The Opinion
How was Etihad's A380 First Apartment the second time around?

Comments

1. OT (slightly): as Hilton Gold, is breakfast included for both occupants of my room, or just me?

• For both of you – some hotels picky re the 2nd occupant being listed so you’d need to have booked the room for 2 rather than 1 – most don’t care at all and will happily let lots more in (eg if 2 parents/2 kids)

• Cheers. Will confirm this weekend at the DT Edinburgh and report back if any problems!

• TzarChasm says:

I was wondering this too. If I was to book Hilton Rangali, apply for Amex Plat and upgrade my status before I reach there, would both of us get free breaky?

2. I know you added the caveat after but it really should be changed to “up to 0.3 Avios per pound”. I don’t think normal debit card usage will get anywhere near that amount. I know when I had the Tesco credit card my average was far lower than the maximum.

3. OT – how long does a BA Platinum Plus 2 for 1 voucher take to appear after hitting the spend target? Some juicy reward flights have come available and I am £50 short of target, I can pay a little bit of a BA holiday balance to hit the target.

• TGLoyalty says:

A few days for me but might of been becuase of my statement timing as it’s posted on the 26th of the month, possibly just coincidence.

• Genghis says:

I had to wait well over a week last time

• Oh well, fingers crossed the seats are still around. Might buy some iTunes vouchers with my lunch so there’s an online and in store charge too…

4. Excellent timing for the Amex/Hilton offer. I originally only got it on my BAPP which I used for two seperate stays, including the Hilton I am currently in. Have now managed to register my BAPP Sup, Plat and Plat Sup. I can use one for the incidental spend t this hotel and the others for advance bookings for summer holiday to Hong Kong/Tokyo. Looking forward to Rob’s reviews from his trip.

• Hi Pid
      You may want to double check the T&C, if I remember correctly the hotels that are eligible for this offer are mainly Hilton hotels in Europe. I think there is a PDF doc with list of Hilton hotels.

5. James67 says:

OT: Munoz appears to have changed his tune

6. The stationery offer is great for the self employed. There is three boxed paper options (5 reams) options. From £17 which is compariable to other retailers pricing. You can mix 3 of these and 1 of the £21 one to get to £72 with £3 for delivery or free store collection..

I’m on old grandfathered rates so getting about 3500 avios for £75 spend which I can reclaim VAT and use as a tax deductible (£44 or less) and will make use of the paper in the office.

7. Would the Tesco debit card get Clubcard ponita on foreign currency purchase?

8. O/T – I wish to book BA flights for myself & partner travelling together, one on a cash ticket, one on a RFS reward ticket. Can this be achieved online somehow? (I doubt it)

And if by telephone, presumably it can be done but I shouldn’t be charged for the pleasure?

Ideally I want same PNR for free seat selection (I have BA silver, partner has nowt) unless there is a way round this?

Thanks

• I’m not sure Amadeus can mix two fare basis codes for the same flight in the same PNR, so even if they were willing to do it I don’t think it’s even possible to have one pax on a cash fare and the other on a redemption in the same PNR.

• You could try 2x one ways. Or 2 returns with part pay with Avios.

9. Thanks guys, I agree, I don’t think its possible (the cash fare will be on expenses, so can’t mess about with one-way options or use part pay with Avios unfortunately) – separate seats it most likely will have to be!

• the real harry1 says:

worth asking whoever authorises your expenses if you can buy 2 tickets on part pay with Avios (or whatever) then claim the correct cash back based on online information of the right amount?

I did this with a friendly boss & swapped a business return to USA for a RTW ticket in cattle so that I could start my hols after the business trip & scuba dive off the Great Barrier Reef for 2 weeks

he saved the business nearly a couple of £thou and I got to Australia for free

• If you can go Virgin, get the black credit card, spend £7.5k and get the companion voucher :-)

10. OT- MBNA has upped their EK card sign up bonus to 25K miles on paid (£150 fee) card.

11. Apologies if already mentioned but with the Tesco debit card you get the 1 point per£1 spent for using your card plus the normal 1 point per £1 spent from Clubcard . Tesco bank will add up the bonus points every quarter and add it to your statement.

12. Hi Rob, i believe the best tesco debit card is now the best way to get avios when buying fuel? Tesco debit card at tesco filling station. Using the Tesco credit/debit card as your clubcard and paying with the tesco debit card you would now get 2 points per £ which is 4.8 avios per £? or 5 virgin miles per £

13. Yes, not an issue – just ask the hotel how much you want charged to one card, then change it to the 2nd one for the remainder.

• Thanks Alan.

Can anyone also confirm whether it works for cumulative stays of up to £250 spending before deadline?

• Yes, as already confirmed on here, cumulative spend is absolutely fine for this promo :)

14. Genghis says:

The true delta is only the 2.4 avios vs say 1.5 avios on BAPP.

15. James67 says:

Need to exercise care with the pricing at Direct though, some good deals but generally poor value IME.

16. And the fee on the BAPP of course

17. Genghis says:

True – but if you’ve decided to earn a 241 using the BAPP, do you treat the fee as a sunk cost (and if you don’t you should then at least apportion some of the value of a 241 to the calc)?

18. Genghis says:

Assuming of course a 241 has value…