Bits: win 120,000 Avios (only 188 entries!), Expedia selling rail tickets, Etihad discount code

News in brief:

Win 120,000 Avios points (only 188 entries!)

Iberia Plus has launched a Facebook competition to give away 120,000 Avios points.

The link is here (you will be redirected to Facebook).

The answer to the question appears to be Madrid but I can’t personally verify this.  At the time of writing the competition has had a pitiful 188 entries despite being live for four days.  The chance of a Head for Points reader winning, once we’ve added another couple of thousand to that total, is therefore very good!

(EDIT: as per the comments below, whilst the wording is vague, you may need to ‘like’ the Iberia page as well.)

The prize will be dropped into an Iberia Plus account but you can move the points to British Airways Executive Club for free via ‘Combine My Avios’.

You need to enter by Monday.  Thanks to Steve for this.

Iberia facebook competition

Expedia moves into rail ticketing

You may not have noticed, but Expedia has quietly moved into rail ticketing.  The home page for their UK ticket sales is here.

I haven’t used it yet so any feedback is welcome.  They promise no booking fees.  My major article on ‘the best way to book rail tickets’ – which is 18 months old and due for an update soon – is here.

Expedia trains rail

Etihad 15% discount code launched

Finally, Etihad is running a 15% off promotion over the Easter weekend.

You need to fly from London, Manchester or Edinburgh.  The discount is only valid on the base fare, not the taxes, so it will be a better deal when used on a Business or First Class ticket rather than an Economy ticket.

The promo code required is MORE15.

You need to book on the Etihad website here by 19th April for travel by 12th December.

Review of the Etihad arrivals lounge in Abu Dhabi
How Brad is flying around the world for 116,000 airline miles + £285 + $30

Comments

1. Nathan says:

I’m not so sure that ‘liking’ the post itself qualifies as entry. The T&Cs state that one must be ‘a fan of iberia’s Facebook page’, which isn’t quite the same thing.

2. the real harry1 says:

3000+ now

better than NL odds

3. The Etihad 15% offer is a bit of a swiz as well as prices were raised just ahead of this “offer”.

£1675 or so for LHR-BKK is ballpark without an offer this season and you can get Amex 10% off all year round !.

• Is there some other 10% off Amex link as the one listed here requires travel by summer and I am looking to travel later but want to book now.

4. Peter K says:

OT. To those who are in the same boat I’ve finally had my 13.5k bonus from the Virgin card clubhouse link. It took much chasing and going to MBNA and Virgin but they are in my account. It took longer than the correspondence said it would but at least they are there.
    PS Thanks Rob for your help at the start.

• Took 3 months + 1 month extra of me chasing, a few extra miles on top of the 13.5k as a goodwill gesture would of been nice, makes me reluctant to go for it again…

• Peter K says:

Likewise re: goodwill gesture. I had 4k given me near the start when they were denying it was their fault for me having to chase it with MBNA but when they admitted it was their fault (not to me but to MBNA who passed the info on to me) they have me nothing but an email to say they were pleased to tell me it had gone in.
        I’d go with MBNA again but it has put me off Virgin Atlantic somewhat.

• What’s the best email/phone to chase? I only got 18.5k so need to chase the remainder

• This is sounding systematic..

I did online chat on MBNA site.

Think I might phone flying club this wknd to politely ask for a goodwill gesture.

5. HA! I actually reactivated my FB account after well over five years JUST to enter this comp. And I WILL win!!

6. James67 says:

OT: Another BA sale looks imminent; I’m seeing what looks like cheap (for BA but not others) fares to Asia already loaded. Also multiple bad part pay with avios options. Conditions are horrendous – no changes, no cancellation .

7. signol says: