Bits: TAP launches London City, generous SAS / Hertz deal, KLM drops free bags for BlueBiz

News in brief:

TAP launches flights from London City

In a surprising move, Portuguese national carrier TAP has announced a new service from London City Airport to Lisbon.   One possible reason I saw yesterday is that it is a potential prelude to a sale of TAP’s 06.00 Heathrow departure slot, which could presumably be used for an early morning arrival by a long-haul carrier.

Launching at the start of the winter timetable on 29th October, the City service will operate twice daily during the week with one flight a day on Saturday and Sunday.

TAP is a member of Star Alliance if you are considering earning and redemption options.

Lisbon

Generous SAS EuroBonus / Hertz deal

The SAS frequent flyer scheme, EuroBonus, has launched a very generous deal with Hertz.  If you rent a lot of cars, or fancy doing the car equivalent of a mattress run, you could nicely from this.

As you can see here, you will earn 5,000 SAS EuroBonus miles for every Hertz rental you make before 30th June, for pick up before 30th September.

There is no minimum rental period, except in the US and Canada where a minimum of three days is required.

EuroBonus is a member of Star Alliance so you could use your points to book flights on any Star airline – including the new TAP flight I wrote about above!  You can also use EuroBonus points for hotel stays as you can see here – I did this last year to book a night at the 5-star The May Fair in London for 20,000 points.

Details can be found on the Hertz site here.

KLM drops free baggage for BlueBiz and corporate customers

Whilst KLM brought in baggage charges on short haul flights back in 2013, they gave an exception for the first checked bag to travellers on corporate deals or those who were members of the corporate BlueBiz scheme.

(You can learn more about BlueBiz here if your company is not already a member.)

This exception was quietly dropped on 1st April.  Even if your company is a member of BlueBiz or has a corporate deal with KLM, you must now pay for all checked baggage on short-haul flights.  Thanks to Chris for this.

The alternative to hotel loyalty schemes - Hotels.com and Hotels.com Rewards
printed.com - the Avios partner you have never heard of

Comments

1. Really says:

OT

I’m about to close my Amex Gold account as I no longer wish to incur the annual fee and am targeting the churn. I have c. 80k points in the account.

Any chance of there being any promotions on Amex MR points transfers soon? I may try to transfer less than half to Avios and then the remainder to my wife’s Gold acc if possible, and if not to my SPG but wouldn’t want to miss on any promotions.

Thanks.

2. the real harry1 says:

O/T 12 weeks free sub to The Economist – offer valid today only https://www dot topcashback dot co.uk/the-economist/

ie pay £12, get £12 back, looks as if it’s payable in Avios so with the 25% bonus offer @ T.C.B, looks like you get 12 free editions and a free 300 Avios on top (@1p)

Cancel DD after 45 days minimum, it says – might be better to wait until you actually get the cashback as elsewhere it says 90 days

3. the real harry1 says:

O/T Raffles

Having just done the Upgrade to Plat application using the link floating about, it looks as if you were asking the wrong person @ Amex. It’s basically a new application from what I could see, merely using your existing Gold card as a reference (same as Amex always does if you have one). In other words, you would be extremely unlikely to be breaking any rules by doing an article on it/ linking to it.

• Upgrades are always treated as new applications by Amex. This doesn’t mean that they won’t check back about whether the original Gold was entitled to the bonus.

• JamesB says:

Do you mean this 20k upgrade offer is targetted and we are not guaranteed to receive the bonus? Can we not just call CS and check we are eligible to use it before applying?

• People who were eligible have been emailed. If you apply without being emailed then you are taking a risk that you won’t get the bonus. Realistically I think you will but my FCA licence doesn’t allow me to write articles recklessly suggesting you do it.

• JamesB says:

Thanks Rob, just £300 left to hit spend target on the gold card I got last week. I will let the first statement generate, clear that and then try the upgrade.

4. I applied for upgrade from PRGC to Platinum and got approved, but it seems my saved offers have disappeared from my online account? Is this temporary or do I have to ask Amex CS to add them manually?

5. As a data point, I used the upgrade link last time it was around – the points just popped into my account when spend hit, didn’t ever appear on the tracker. So easy. It might have been a new application from Amex’s perspective but they didn’t file anything on my credit report (obviously ymmv). I knew there was a risk I wouldn’t get them but I decided to take it-kinda figured if it let me click through the link (and there was no personal id in the URL) it would be ok-they should have said ‘no likey’ otherwise. Totally get why Rob doesn’t want to promote it though.

6. SteveB says:

OT, I see that all of my stays for the IHG Accelerate Q1 2017 promotion have now posted including stays right up to 15 Apr. Points not yet posted to account though.

Only one not recognised is for IHG spend on Creation card despite several transactions being more that the 6-8 wks referenced in the T&Cs. Wondering if anyone else has received points for cc spend yet?

• Mine is posted but not all.
      One I checked out on 14th April posted but one checked out on a different hotel and different city is still not posted.

Good to see Accelerate dash board working again.
      From past experience any idea how long before points hit IHG account?
      I know it says allow 2/3 weeks.

• And same as you I have not received any points for transaction on IHG Black card – HG® Rewards Club Premium Credit Card

• Michael says:

Hi Steve – same issue here. Seems to take them over 6 weeks to recognise anything related to the Creation IHG card. But I have been assured it will hit the account.

7. OT – does anyone know what Carlson Gold normally gets (or should get) in terms of recognition at Park Inn? I’ve just checked in and there was nothing at all, just wondered if it’s worth a comment at reception tomorrow or whether I’d be wasting my time as I shouldn’t have expected anything.

• Stayed at Park Inn Cardiff Centre last weekend. No upgrade (hotel was full) but got slippers and robes in both rooms, paid for breakfast. In theory they should offer some welcome gifts but didn’t bother to ask.

• Thanks. Not even that here, think I’ll mention it (as a throwaway comment if nothing else) at check-out in the morning. Even a ‘welcome back mr smith’ would have been something at least.

• The_real_a says:

Yes i recieved a delicious mint club biscuit at the park inn outside cardiff in recognition of my gold status. Outside the uk i normally get the business class room but no free breakfast. In not sure all park inns have better rooms in the uk.

• Nick Burch says:

It’s worth mentioning it – they sometimes forget to put it out, or shuffle the rooms round and it ends up in the one you were going to get. Generally at a UK Park Inn it’s just a drinks bottle or two and some sort of snack. Let them know and they’ll normally sort it on the spot.

8. Brasov says:

The Iberia comp was won by Gemma Paine

9. Mark T says:

Like the TAP flights a lot. Only £101 return too, v.good. And a few more Flybe flights starting in the winter too.