Hilton’s new ‘points pooling’ feature is now live

Hilton Honors has now launched the latest of the new features that were promised during the scheme relaunch in February – points pooling.

See here at hilton.com for details.

This is, very simply, a way of allowing up to 10 people to transfer their points to you without charge.

Whilst you have always been able to pay to transfer points to someone else, the fee meant it rarely made sense.

In theory, pooling is designed to allow groups of family or friends to merge their points in order to do a joint redemption.  The example Hilton is using is pooling points to redeem for a suite which may be a better deal than two people individually redeeming for standard rooms.

In reality, there are no restrictions on how pooled points can be used.  You can use them for anything, even a non-room redemption such as airline miles, or indeed not use them at all in the short term.

hilton hotel tallinn park exterior press picture

This has a few implications:

there is no excuse any longer for having your Hilton points expire – you can just move them to a family member

it is worth badgering family or friends who may be doing a one-off Hilton stay to sign up to the programme, because they can transfer their points to you afterwards

this is a partial solution to the problem of Hilton only allowing you to earn points from two rooms per stay – if you need 3+ rooms, you can now book the rest in the name of someone else and then pool those points with your own afterwards

it presumably lets you get around the cap on the number of Hilton points you can buy each year, as you can buy via a friend or family member and then pool those points with yours

it lets you transfer points from a member without status to a member with status, in order to receive status benefits when booking redemption nights

You can transfer a minimum of 1,000 points into a pool with an annual maximum of 500,000 points.  The total amount of points that you can receive via pooling is 2,000,000 per year.

Overall, I can only see positive benefits from points pooling.   You can find out more on this special page of hilton.com here.

Qatar sale: Stockholm to Auckland, business, for £1500 return to December - & earns 600 BA tier points!
New Avios-earning Qatar Airways sale deals launched

Comments

1. Mohammed says:

First comment but sorry it’s OT

I called BA call centre in USA just after 1230 GMT to book a flight 355 days in advance but the flights weren’t yet released. The rep said that there’s no guarantee when flights get release. Can be a day or two. Is this correct? What’s the process of the booking. Can someone who’s done it please advise?

I want to book the outbound led now then add the return leg again once it’s released 355 days in advance.

Thanks

• Mohammed says:

Leg*^

• Genghis says:

Flights are released at midnight GMT, 1am BST at t-355. The process can be done fully online booking as two singles if a 241 isn’t being used. If it is, the outbound can be booked online but the inbound requires a call to be added to the booking

2. As well as the minimum transfer being 1000, the transfers have to be in chunks of 1000.

We found out when my hubby did his transfer into my account, and now has 800-odd orphan points.

3. OT question about the reward ticket that comes with the HH credit card. My mother has a ticket – she called up to make a booking in my name and customer service told her that the ticket is non transferable. Is this correct or is there a work around? E.g. make the booking in her name, but I turn up anyway? Thanks.

• Make the booking in her name & add you as the 2nd person in the room.

• Change your name?

• Would I then be able to take my partner? Gets a bit complicated then as I’ll turn up, as will my partner, but not the person under whom the booking is made.

• Just don’t have your partner by your side when you check in if you are worried?

I’ve checked in on rooms booked in my husbands name when he hasn’t been there and I have been a second person on the booking

• We do this all the time at HFP – I book rooms for Anika with my points, either naming her as 2nd guest and/or putting a note in the comments saying she will check in first. Never had an issue.

(I have had issues doing this on paid nights but purely in terms of points posting. If the hotel changes the lead name on the booking in its system then it is likely you won’t get points.)

• Use it in a country where ID is not required to check in? May help if you have the same surname as your mother (or borrow her credit card :))

• We recently booked a night away using my wife’s free night certificate from Barclaycard, but as she never travels on her own, she only has HH silver (from the card). Once she made the booking, I rang the hotel with the booking ref, and asked to switch the booking to my HH account (Diamond) and we got all my benefits for the stay (room upgrade, lounge, breakfast, 1,000 points).

What I can’t tell you is if that is standard policy, or just an overly helpful person at that particular hotel.

• It is possible to switch the HH number on the booking. I have had 50% success in getting hotels to do it on check in. I am scared of calling in advance now because one manager accused me of defrauding them.

• Many thanks for all the tips.

• For point redemption booking: make reservation first, then ring Honors or online chatting to change it to any person’s name (e.g. you).

Honors number (thus the status benefits) can’t be modified though, you might be lucky showing your cards upon check-in.

4. Did this yesterday after a tip on here; the instructions are not very clear.
    You need to login as yourself then choose ‘More things to do with points’ on the left hand menu.
    Then click on ‘POOL POINTS’ and enter the names and email addresses of the people you want to pool with. Hilton will send them an email and after they click on the orange ‘Pool your points’ button everyone can move points.
    You use the standard ‘Transfer Points’ procedure but there is no charge.
    It does not happen immediately. I transferred some at 1014 yesterday and received confirmation from point.com but they have not moved yet.

• I posted about this yesterday morning and eventually did 3 transactions around the same time as you, all transferred within 5 minutes, possibly immediately.

You do have to log out and log in to see the updated balances

• That is certainly what I would have expected from Points.com but they have not arrived yet and I have not had the acknowledgement for the other transfer this morning.
        I am sure that they will arrive well before I need them.

5. I have been reading this blog virtually from when it was launched, and Rob had to announce so many negative developments (e. g. the end of bmi and later of their super-generous credit cards, Accor points not counting towards status anymore, no more Tesco CC points to Avios conversion bonuses, huge disadvantages for Avios collectors living in the regions, points devaluations etc. etc.). To me, this seems a significant improvement – may other loyalty schemes follow suit!

• e-Rewards just reappeared as showing towards elite status on IHG….

• Reappeared where – I would be interested in transferring again to IHG if they are elite again – I switched to transferring to Virgin then IHG instead although you need more erewards pts.

• in my ihg account. my required points needed decreased as the last e-rewards transfer i made just showed up as qualifying

6. Is there a problem with site.
    I am unable to use page scroll up/down.
    Using Chrome on Windows 7

7. Is the new hilton promo of triple points available to anyone or just diamond members?

8. How does this stop points from expiring?
    Could someone transfer all their points to a family member who transfers them back?

• I think it works like Avios / BA expiry, so it doesn’t really stop points from expiring, but the assumption is that someone in the family will have some activity on their account at least once every 12 months

The less than 1000 orphaned points remaining in each account may expire though

Hilton expiry is not set in stone anyway, I had an account with lots of points that had no activity for 14 months. When this was announced in February, I thought I’d just take a risk and see if this feature would actually come to pass, and the points didn’t expire.

9. If the person I want to pool points with is my spouse then can I just use the transfer option? In this instance is there a difference which way I move the points between transfer and pooling (sorry I’ve never done this before), thanks.

• the difference is that without pooling you will have to pay to transfer.

• sarah dorman says:

The charges have changed too:

“Members may transfer a maximum of 500,000, and receive a maximum of 2,000,000 points per calendar year. A maximum of six free transactions may be performed per calendar year. Transferred points are applicable towards all Hilton Honors awards. Points transferred using this option will post within 24 hours. Transferred points do not count towards Hilton Honors status upgrades. All standard Hilton Honors program rules and conditions apply.”

• Thanks, I missed the transaction limit. But you can have more than one HH account (useful for multiple e-rewards accounts).

• I’ve been happily transferring HH points from 5 e-rewards accounts to my single HH account, ever since they removed the once every 90 days limit. (The limit applied to the HH account number, not the e-rewards account – but it’s nearly impossible to get 8000 erw in 90 days anyway and gets boring very quickly if you are doing the same survey 5 times!)

10. Wobbly Wings says:

is points transfer via pooling considered a transaction that will keep the account alive?

11. Matthew Brown says:

Could open up a secondary market to buy/sell points?

12. I’m glad the feature is here, but I was hoping for more of a BAEC Household account style pool, versus free transfers in increments of a thousand. I’m going to have 915 orphan points in my wife’s account, and no way of topping them up. Ah well, I’ve now got 2000 in my account that I didn’t have before.

• No way of topping them up? Hilton credit card purchase? Virgin transfer? Amex MR transfer? Surely you must have one of those three options at your disposal!

• Funtime says:

Hilton Honors Shop-to-Earn Mall

13. OT but still Hilton

Do all stays count towards Gold requalification nights/stays or just fully-earning ones? My corporate deal with Hilton doesn’t earn points on stays, only on incidentals (long story), but I do several nights a year and wonder if these will enable me to keep Gold…

14. Having just joined Hilton Honours last month, I booked 2 stays and pre paid for them as a Hilton Honours member. However every time I receive a communication from Hilton, it shows my balance as NIL. I assume that after I have arrived and booked in to the hotel, my points will show after departure? Can anyone let me know if I am correct in this assumption please?

15. What's the Point says:

A great development by Hilton.
    Nice to say that for a change regarding a Loyalty Scheme.

16. O/T – Has anyone ordered the £29 (half price) DONALD RUSSELL steak pack Amex offer? If so, might you recommend it? Thanks

• the real harry1 says:

yes I did a while back – istr I combined it with something else, probably T C B for a double discount

Yes – it was great quality – & is a loss leader so priced to be very good value (to win desirable Amex cardholders as new customers)

17. If a couple (both Honors Gold) are staying 4 nights in a Hilton hotel, can they maximise points by booking alternate nights in each name? (changing rooms each night as necessary)

Am guessing this would be frowned upon even if it were possible.