REGISTER NOW – IHG brings back its generous ‘Accelerate’ offer for Summer

IHG Rewards Club, the Holiday Inn, HI Express, Crowne Plaza, InterContinental etc loyalty scheme, has launched a website for its Summer 2017 promotion – IHG Accelerate Yes, it is repeating the Autumn 2015, Spring and Summer and Autumn 2016 and Spring 2017 offer!

But that is not a bad thing.

To be honest, during the last 18 months IHG has been the only major hotel chain offering global promotions which offer genuine outsize value.  Everyone has their own personal target but, for most of us, the challenge is pretty straightforward.

(I don’t want to knock the regular Hilton Honors ‘double points’ or ‘2000 bonus points’ offers, which are good, but nothing beats Accelerate if you get a suitably soft target.)

Accelerate

Here are the headline details:

IHG Accelerate (Version 6) covers stays from 15th May to 31st August

All hotels are participating

Your bonus is personalised – you need to log in here to discover yours

This was my target for 48,900 points maximum, comprising:

• 5,000 points for a stay before 30th June
  • 2,500 points on my next stay
  • 10,000 points for staying five nights
  • 5,600 points for staying two weekends (Fri / Sat or Sat / Sun)
  • 11,200 points for staying in IHG hotels in two different countries outside the UK
  • 3,600 points for booking a Bonus Points Package
  • 11,000 points for completing four of the five targets above, excluding the June bonus

I have three nights at InterContinental Le Grand in Paris booked for July, so that will tick off quite a bit of the above.  I then need to think strategically about whether it is worth pushing through some extra nights.

I don’t have an obvious way of getting the 2nd ‘non-UK’ booking yet but, with 11200 bonus points at stake, I will try to think of something.  I could switch my Kimpton Amsterdam booking in June from points to cash.

My wife got this one for 43,000 points:

• 3,000 points for a stay before 30th June
  • 2,500 points on her next stay
  • 10,000 points for staying five nights
  • 5,600 points for staying two weekends (Fri / Sat or Sat / Sun)
  • 3,600 points for booking a Bonus Points Package
  • 600 points for spending $60 on food and beverage
  • 17,700 points for completing four of the five targets above excluding the June bonus

I’m not sure if this is possible – it depends on our weekend plans.  A couple of weekends away over the Summer would give us four nights.  I doubt she would do five midweek nights for work.

Getting 5,500 points for staying a single night – as long as it is before 30th June – is certainly worth doing.  In fact, if my wife booked just a single night before 30th June on a Bonus Points Package rate then she would get 9,100 bonus points.  If she spent $60 on food and drink that would increase to 9,700 bonus points.

Note that if you have a target which involves meeting a certain ‘food and beverage’ spending target, this is EXCLUDING VAT for UK stays.  IHG also uses a weak exchange rate when converting your spend to US$.  If you were asked to acheive $39 of cumulative spend (£31), you actually need to spend £37 due to the 20% VAT and in reality probably need to do £40 due to the FX rate IHG uses.

A note on rebooking

Most of the time, existing bookings – ie bookings made before 1st May – do count for this promotion.   For my targets, the terms all say stays must be “consumed between 15 May 2017 and 31 August 2017” and not “booked”.

Last time, however, some people got an app booking target which DID specifically state that stays must be booked after the starting date.  If you have a ‘book stays via the app’ target then check the small print.

Conclusion

As long as your target is sensible, this is highly likely to be the most generous hotel promotion you are likely to see this Summer.  And, with well over 3 months to hit your target, you have plenty of time to make the necessary stays.

Log in to the Accelerate website here and see what your target is!

PS.  Don’t forget to register for the new Hilton ‘double points’ promotion too – see my other article today

My review of the InterContinental Hong Kong hotel
REGISTER NOW - Hilton launches new 'double or triple points' promotion

Comments

1. Pangolin says:

Mine is absolutely pathetic – 20 nights to get 32K points (I could get 30K with just 3 nights last time) and NONE of the bonuses stack up. I completed the last challenge and all IHG have done is to ‘accelerate’ the number of nights needed, rather than offer a correspondingly higher points total to aim for.

I think I have the lowest bonus for 5 nights of anyone I’ve seen. No need to waste my time on IHG stays for the next 3 months at least.

5,000 Stay More, Earn More
    Get closer to the rewards you want when you stay 5 night(s) and earn 5,000 bonus points.

3,000 Stay 3 more nights
    Get an additional 3,000 bonus points after night 8.

3,000 Stay 3 more nights
    Get an additional 3,000 bonus points after night 11.

3,000 Stay 3 more nights
    Get an additional 3,000 bonus points after night 14.

3,000 Stay 3 more nights
    Get an additional 3,000 bonus points after night 17.

15,000 Stay 3 more nights
    Get an additional 15,000 bonus points after night 20.

• Mine is roughly the same, boring and unappealing

• trickster says:

That’s the one my wife got this time and last time, on an account we don’t use, that has no status.

Mine is more aligned to what Rob got offered.

2. O/t I want to book return flights having already booked my outward flights using my BA 241 voucher. I don’t have enough spare Avios to book two return flights online (at full price) then call and change it to my 241 voucher.

What is the best time/ number to call BA to do this. Did some people have success with a Japan or USA number?

3. My promo page states complete 3 out of 4 offers and then below that I have earn 2500 points for early stay. However, it is very strange that it says 3 out of 4 offers when I have 7 in total. I could do 3 offers easily with only 1 stay. Does the one for early stay count under 3 out of 4 offers?

4. Awful promotion as usual. Accor much better.

• Barry cutters says:

Awful promotion where you are offered something for free. Yea totally agree . It’s terrible

5. Felix Flyer says:

Most of mine ok but got one to renew ambassador status within the term. As I renewed it last month and it runs to April 2018 not sure how I can achieve that!

6. OT. I’ve just enjoyed the new Club Europe domestic connection to Heathrow, the prawn and chicken salad was delicious, as was the Stilton and oat cakes washed down with (mini bottle of) Castelnau. We booked the connection before the changes so effectively got a free upgrade, don’t think I’d part with 18,000 avios and £50 for 40 minutes though. I overheard the cabin crew having a bit of a panic at the prospect of getting round a nearly full plane in 30 minutes, but in CE they even managed to offer a second lot of drinks!

Warning – the rubbish internet connection at Manchester meant that my boarding card wouldn’t show on my iPhone at the gate. Fortunately the BA customer service rep wasn’t busy and managed to print a paper copy and somehow retrieve my biometric data. Will not be relying solely on technology again!

7. If I stay at my local HIE tonight, it’s £65 and will earn 9000 points. Worth a punt?

• Axel heyst says:

NO! The promo doesnt start to the 15th May!. I nearly got caught out with this. Bit narked as I could be doing matress runs in SE Asia next week otherwise in £15 night HIEs

8. Am i right in thinking an ambassador free weekend night will not count? So a two night stay will count as one?

• It counts as whatever the hotel posts it as. Ambassador weekends are meant to count as 1 night. Some hotels, however, mistakenly submit it to IHG as two qualifying nights, in which case it counts as two for Accelerate.

9. colomban julien says:

Hello,

My target is 89,300pts:
    -stay once = 2500pts
    -stay 30 nights = 60000pts
    -2 weekend stay = 8000pts
    -stay 4nights in a row = 4000pts
    -spend 260$ food-drinks = 1800pts
    -stay before end of june = 5000pts
    -Achieve 4 out of 5 = 8000pts

10. Do reward night stays count towards the offer?

Thanks

11. Imbruce says:

I have not checked my Accelerate target as yet, but I got an letter in the post telling me that I
    would get 10,000 points if I applied for their credit card with Gold status as long as I had the card.
    I am not sure if it worth getting the credit card or not?
    What are the benefits of Gold status with IHG?
    Or should I consider the Hilton credit csrd instead?
    Thanks

• TGLoyalty says:

Theres a link doing the rounds which would make the sign up bonus 20k

ihg.com / newstart

• jarvester says:

Question here would be: if you follow the above link for double points would this count towards your accelerate objective or do you need to follow the specific application link in your accelerate dashboard? I’m thinking it may not matter as you would link your IHG Rewards account throughout the process and that should reflect on your accelerate target, but asking just in case anybody knows the right answer.

I wish I knew about this link when I applied for my premium card last year, only got 20k bonus instead of the 40k offered here :(

• Genghis says:

The offer has only recently become available and it appears to be targeted

12. Mine’s a potential 99,000 points, not easy but it is achievable.

2,500 Stay Once Get 2,500
    60,000 Stay 30 nights
    1,300 Book 2 stays with the IHG® App
    4,000 A Bonus Weekend Stay
    11,200 Globetrotter Bonus – 2 stays outside home country
    2,500 Corporate Account Bonus – 2 stays using Corporate rate
    1,000 Earn When You Redeem
    11,000 Your Achievement Bonus
    500 Registration Bonus
    5,000 Early Stay Bonus – 1 stay before 30th June

If I do manage to complete all these, I should be close to hitting 2,000,000 IHG points.

OT – What’s the highest balance anyone has come across? I think I will have to stop stockpiling and start redeeming when I hit 2 million!

• the real harry1 says:

harrumph! the point is also to spend them, youngster

I bet if you asked a few people here how many they had earned AND redeemed you’d be astonished

• Some would say that sitting on 2m points protected by a mere four-digit PIN is foolish

13. Marcella says:

Does anyone know if you have to book rooms / hotels directly on the IHG website to collect points and build status with them? The reason I ask is that I have just stayed at the Intercontinental in Hua Hin Thailand for 10 nights and they told me that I can’t earn points as I booked through a third party (Amoma) however my resort spend would count. Is this right? If so, is there is a list of hotel chains somewhere that state if you have to book directly or not to earn status / points? I’m not aware of Hilton having this same issue as my husband and I regularly stay with Hilton for booked which is booked using HRG. All advice welcome as I’m savvy on BA side of things, but new on Hotel status side…

• Marcella says:

TYPO * Regularly stay with Hilton for work which is booked using HRG

• Genghis says:

As a general rule you don’t get status benefits / points if book through an online travel agent (OTA), eg Anoma. HRG and the like are old fashioned travel agents and as such such bookings can get status benefits and points

14. Stephen says:

I have a 4 week stay in HK IC Grand Stanford coming up. It finishes on September 2nd. Will it count towards my Accelerate target, do you think?

15. Brian W says:

• 2,000 Stay Once Get 2,000
    Thank you for being a loyal IHG® Rewards Club member. Stay once and earn 2,000 bonus points.
    • 7,500 Stay More, Earn More
    Get closer to the rewards you want when you stay 5 night(s) and earn 7,500 bonus points.
    • 3,200 Travel with the IHG® App
    Book 2 stay(s) with the IHG® App and earn 3,200 bonus points.
    • 3,600 Earn More, Faster
    Earn 3,600 bonus points when you book 1 Bonus Points Package stay(s) and get to your next reward faster.
    • 23,700 Your Achievement Bonus
    Complete 3 of the 4 offers and earn (an additional) 23,700 bonus points.
    • 2,500 Early Stay Bonus
    Stay once before 30 June and get 2,500 bonus points.

My targets seem far more achievable than previous ones where I have needed 15+ bookings to hit the bonus part. Looks like one booking for a bonus points package stay before 30 June, booked via the app and any another booking via the app would get me 2,000 + 3,200 + 3,600 + 23,700 + 2,500 = 35k.

16. This is what I got. Still waiting for my IHG CC spend to trigger the Q1 bonus.

Earn 55,000 total bonus points.

2,000 – Stay Once Get 2,000
    7,500 – Stay More, Earn More. Get closer to the rewards you want when you stay 5 night(s) and earn 7,500 bonus points
    19,200 – Discover Our Brands. Stay at 3 brands and get 19,200 bonus points
    3,200 – Travel with the IHG® App. Book 2 stay(s) with the IHG® App and earn 3,200 bonus points
    3,600 – Earn More, Faster. Earn 3,600 bonus points when you book 1 Bonus Points Package stay(s) and get to your next reward faster
    500 – Eat, Drink and Earn. Spend $39 on food or beverages at IHG® hotels and earn 500 bonus points
    1,500 – Spend on your IHG® Rewards Club Credit Card. Book and pay for one stay at any IHG hotel using your IHG® Rewards Club Credit Card and earn 1,500 bonus points.
    15,000 – Your Achievement Bonus. Complete 6 of the 7 offers and earn (an additional) 15,000 bonus points.
    2,500 – Early Stay Bonus. Stay once before 30 June and get 2,500 bonus points

So in theory, I could collect 2k+3.6k+1.5k+2.5k=9.6k for a 1 night booking. Tempted to do a mattress run at my local HI Elstree

17. Hi Rob

Mucky asked if reward nights counted to which you replied no.

What about cash plus points? One of my targets is to book a cash plus points night. Will it also count towards my stay 5 separate nights, book three nights through the web site and stay two nights in different countries?

Thanks
    Del

• No, only the ‘cash and points’ night. I am 99% sure of this.

Last time I had one which was “make a redemption”, which I did, but it didn’t count for anything else.

18. Colin says:

I have an offer for: 2,500 Corporate Account Bonus
    Stay 2 time(s) using your corporate rate and earn 2,500 bonus points.

However any Business stays are booked through a recognized company Agent but I do not have an Corporate Account/ID to register against my Profile! And therefore miss these options.
    Do you know of any way around this as this type of offer keeps appearing in Accelerate for me and it has been one which I am unable to Achieve.

• Ask your employer for their IHG corporate rate code which you can then add to your profile. It will then come up automatically when you search for rooms at hotels which have a corporate rate for your company, which has the added benefit of getting you lower prices on your personal stays.

• Colin says:

Problem is our company books through sn Agent who negotiates rates with the individual Hotels.

• ….. who should have been given a corporate code generated by the hotel so the agent can book online. I doubt they are ringing hotel reservations personally every time you book.

If there wasn’t a corporate code going into your bookings or in your profile I doubt IHG would have given you this target (although nothing is beyond their IT!).

19. Would stays in a crowne plaza, holiday inn, and holiday inn express trigger the ‘stay in 3 brands’ bonus, or are holiday inn and holiday inn express considered the same brand?