Bits: Win 10000 Avios with Accor, Good To Go Parking sale, Charles Tyrwhitt / Avios deal

News in brief:

Win 10,000 Avios and a weekend break with Mercure

Mercure, the mid-market brand within the Accor hotel group, is currently running a free draw.

The prize is 10,000 Le Club AccorHotels points and a weekend break for two, with breakfast, in a Mercure hotel.

10,000 Le Club AccorHotels points would convert into 10,000 Avios points via Iberia Plus (but only 5,000 Avios via ba.com, so don’t do that!).  Alternatively, you could turn them into €200 of Accor vouchers.

The page to enter is here.   All you need is enter your name, email and Le Club AccorHotels membership number.  That’s it.

The closing date is 19th May.  Thanks to Steve.

Mercure Manchester

Good To Go Parking sale

Good To Go Parking is the ‘secret’ own-label parking company set up by Heathrow Airport Parking.

We explained how Good To Go Parking works in this article.  As long as you stay over a Saturday night, Good To Go lets you book the official Heathrow car parks for not much more than you’d pay for offsite parking – and a lot less than you’d pay via Heathrow Airport Parking.

For bookings made by 21st May, for parking which begins between 5th June and 7th July, Good To Go is offering a 15% discount.  You need to use promo code GETAWAY on the main website.

Good To Go Parking

Charles Tyrwhitt shirt offer

Charles Tyrwhitt, the shirt company, recently became an Avios partner.  You will earn 4 Avios points per £1 you spend with them.

Interestingly, the offer is valid however you purchase.  As well as online or mail-order – where you add your BA or avios.com number to the order form – you also get points instore.  All you need to do is tell them your account number when you pay.

Tyrwhitt emailed me yesterday with a new promotion.  Until the end of May, code UKAFB6 gets you £10 off a £50 order placed via the website here.  The discount applies to all merchandise, even items in their clearance sale.  You will still earn Avios on top.

HFP ‘Credit Cards’ page updated for May – what are the best deals this month?
How to earn Avios or Virgin miles, and save £, with No 1 Lounges

Comments

1. CT used to earn 12 Avios / £ for as long as I can remember up until the end of last year, when this rate massively reduced.
    In store purchase is a useful perk, but 4 Avios / £ is not necessarily going to sway to me be loyal to them going forward.

2. Court says:

OT but just thought I’d let people know, we had a baby April 2016 and both dropped to bronze July and October last year. I emailed baby@ba.com after they announced their new policy asking if there was anything they could do with us. We both woke up today to find we’d been promoted back to Silver as if we’d just achieved it, so valid till July and October 2018!

Thanks BA, and there was me considering shuffling off to EZ after my last long haul in September.

• the real harry1 says:

very generous, maybe BA is going to try to be extra nice in Customer Service terms

I might as well get on first the first stage of my claim for the free F&B, as I’ll need deadlock agreed in any case before taking it forward

• Good luck getting the deadlock letter, expect the same rolled out template of insincere “apologies” x 3 before you get any success. Best to treat it as an amusing sport or a role play game, that’s a good coping mechanism for keeping your resolve and your sanity intact.

• Wow, that’s nice! Did you have to email a proof, i.e. a birth certificate?

• jamie says:

hi, emailed them with similar request on 3rd may – heard nothing. how long did they take to reply?

cheers

• Court says:

I mailed them the same day I think – the day it was announced on BA.com. I expected nothing so was pleasantly surprised this morning to see us both get promoted.

I sent an image of the birth certificate, the baby’s passport for the fun of it and all 3 of our BAEC numbers.

3. 1500 avois for first order as well.

I’ve just purchased 5 shirts plus free tie for £100. Went in store to try on for size and then ordered online.

• The 1,500 Avios is targetted to those who were mailed the card by BA. It doesnt accept your BA number otherwise – I tried it.

• Moktar says:

Is there a minimum order for the first order bonus? Can’t see it mentioned anywhere

• Yes I got that offer in the post. Avios credited today, shirts on their way..

4. 40 Savile Row are very good if you want made to measure shirts. Go see Max and tell him I sent you. I would actually spend £1k on 5 MTM shirts rather than a low end MTM suit, especially if your suit jacket hangs on a peg all day.

5. Nick M says:

Very OT, but as lots of you live/work in London I thought someone may be able to help…

Does anyone know any suitable parking near Evelina hospital (St Thomas & Guys) – near Westminster Bridge? We’ll need it for 12-36 hrs.

6. The Mercure in the picture above is Manchester Piccadilly. This is one I used to stay in for £40 for happy Mondays. It’s very old and tired so is the one in Brighton. So old even the floors creeked through the night but for £40 you couldn’t complain. I once spent £60 extra in the bar in Brighton and used to meet people for a drink in the manchester one due to the view of Piccadilly. I can’t help think without some kind of offer or promotion these hotels will struggle without massive investment. Being happy Happy Mondays.

• RussellH says:

I have only stayed there once since it became a Mercure. Before that it was a Ramada Jarvis – a whole swathe of which became Mercures after RJ went bust. It seemed to be the Manchester base for Pakistam International aircrew.

I used to be able to get very cheap stays through a wholesaler I worked with…

One night the fire alarm went off at about 0200 – not fun walking down the many stairs of the fire escape! It was a genuine alarm, sort of. I spoke to the manager the next morning (he came into the breakfast room in order to apologise to guests); he told me that someone had been lighting candles in his room, which set off the alarm. Then, to try and stop the alarm, he kept on hitting it and smashed it off the ceiling…

A large bill was going to be submitted – no idea if it was ever paid.

7. OT: After asking on the comments a few weeks ago re Avios seats to TYO of CPT, plans have since changed and things are leaning towards CPT now.

No J availability for the outbound, but there is for the inbound (via JNB). Would it be worth booking PE out and J back and crossing fingers/toes/digits for J to open up (EF alerts across a few different flights) or is likelihood of that happening tiny?

• Aliks says:

I think the likelihood is slim – CPT is a very, very popular destination, and you are probably waiting for someone to cancel exactly the days you want.

• MarkH says:

Unlikely I would say if my experience this morning is anything to go by.

I called BA to add my CPT return flights in J to my 2-4-1 redemption for April 2018. By 1.06am when they managed to get my booking details up the seats had gone so they added CPT-JNB and JNB-LHR instead for the same avios and taxes (which I thought couldn’t be used for 2-4-1 redemptions)

8. JamesB says:

There’s a fundamental problem with made to measure though, particularly in middle age.

9. Ditto – takes longer but can be quite different pricing so always worth checking!

10. James says:

OT of course. I am looking to upgrade my Gold Card to Platinum and have seen a link posted before, has anyone got it to hand for the 20k bonus? Thanks in advance!

11. Geoff says:

I have never seen any benefits with GoodtoGo parking – just checked for a December long weekend and official Heathrow.com parking is 50p cheaper than GTG for standard long stay. Obviously there maybe a discount code later but I’d rather not wait, on the off chance, and then miss the current rates. There may be savings on park and ride options, but I have never fancied that, even less after recent stories about parking tickets and speeding fines. Anyone know where GTG actually park the cars?

It’s also worth checking prices at other terminals if you don’t mind shuttling between terminals on the day. For long stay at Gatwick we always use south, whatever the terminal, as it is close enough to walk if necessary – which it was once given the melee to get on the bus and no-one respecting any sort of queue.

• Stephen says:

I’m finding the same things as well, with their regular pricing, they don’t seem any cheaper than the regular official parking.

We are traveling next week, for 4 days but just before this latest discount code kicked in – at regular prices GTG is £1.49 more expensive than the official Heathrow parking. Admittedly the official parking site is showing a discount price, but I can’t remember a time in the last 6 months when it wasn’t.

Given the point of GTG is to offer cheaper parking for leisure (includes a Saturday) travellers, it doesn’t seem to be working!

12. Completely off topic, but I’ve noticed that the Amex Platinum card is now available in metal (stainless steel) in the US – is it the same for the UK now too?

• Could happen but not esp likely – remember in the USA Amex make multiples of what they make here on the interchange fee (hence why the benefits on US cards are so much better)

• mark2 says:

I don’t think they have chip and PIN either?

• No. It doesn’t mean they won’t do it, but it is being done in the US in response to competition from other cards and that competition doesn’t exist here.

13. Tracy says:

O/T, I have an ambassador weekend booked for Paris Le Grand this weekend. I booked the Club room because I wanted the lounge access. Just checked and my room has changed to junior suite. Will I still get lounge access?

14. Scott S says:

Is Charles Tyrwhitt actually on Gate365?
    I’ve just looked and there’s no sign of it for me.