REGISTER NOW for Marriott’s new Summer promotion

I had an article all ready to go for rounding up the best of the Summer hotel offers, and then Marriott came along and messed it up!  I have pushed that story back and today I will look at the new Marriott Rewards promotion.

The offer is called ‘Infinite Points’.  Full details can be found on the Marriott UK website here.

In what is probably a sign of things to come when the Starwood properties are fully integrated, when there will be an attempt to make members try new brands, this is how the offer works:

Infinite Points Marriott Rewards

You must register in advance via this website before 30th August

You earn no bonus for your first stay between 27th May and 4th September

You receive 2,000 bonus Marriott Rewards points for your 2nd and subsequent stays between 27th May and 4th September

You receive 2,000 additional Marriott Rewards bonus points for your 2nd and subsequent brand between 27th May and 4th September

This is how it works in practice:

You stay at a Marriott on 1st June – no bonus (you get nothing on your first stay)

You stay at another Marriott on 10th June – 2,000 points bonus

You stay at a Renaissance on 15th June – 4,000 points bonus (includes 2,000 for a 2nd brand)

You stay at a Marriott on 20th June – 2,000 points bonus

You stay at a Moxy on 25th June – 4,000 points bonus

….. and so on.

There is no limit to the number of bonus points you can earn, but remember that this is a stay-based offer and not a nights-based one.  If you spend all of your working week in hotels you would need to move between two Marriott hotels every night to maximise this.

Note that only Marriott Rewards brands count.  Until Starwood Preferred Guest merges with Marriott Rewards next year, stays at Sheraton, Le Meridien, Westin etc do not count towards this offer.

Is this a good deal?

I value a Marriott Rewards point at 0.5p.  This means that you are getting at least £10-worth of points from your 2nd stay and potentially £20-worth per stay if you can mix in enough of the 18 Marriott Rewards brands.

(The participating brands are: EDITION, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection Hotels, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Delta Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Gaylord Hotels, AC Hotels by Marriott, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott, TownePlace Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels, Moxy and The Ritz-Carlton.)

Because you are getting a fixed bonus, this offer will work best for someone doing numberous cheap, short stays.  If your stays are generally longer and more upmarket, you might find that a ‘double points’ offer such as the one from Hilton Honors is better.  You also need to factor in whether your IHG Rewards Club Accelerate target is worth a push.

Tomorrow I will take a quick look at the new Starwood Preferred Guest offer and run through all of the competing offers in detail.

For now, you should register for ‘Infinite Points’ via this page of the Marriott website.

Bits: £100 off £500 BA spend, 4000 Miles & More miles with a hotel, Troy Warfield leaves BA
My review of the ANA lounge at Tokyo Haneda's International Terminal

Comments

1. When I try the link it says :

We’re sorry, but there was an error in directing you to this promotion.
    The reason for this error could be:
    You’re trying to access a miles promotion and are a points-earner, or vice versa
    You are not eligible for this promotion
    This promotion has expired

• I get the same message, as long as I’m logged in I can not see the promotion.

• I get this with every single Marriott promotion.

They don’t know why and going by FT it seems to affect a small number of people every time.

A quick private message to their twitter or Facebook team with your account number will sort it as they can add the promo manually.

2. zsalya says:

Ditto.
    In my case perhaps it really means “You’re trying to access a points promotion and are a miles-earner”

3. Alex W says:

I think there is a key piece of info missing from the article – from the T&Cs: “A ‘stay’ is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.”

Based on that chestnut, one night stays won’t count for this offer 🙁

• TGLoyalty says:

No that means you won’t get multiple stays if you book your nights at a single property separately and check in/out at reception.

You have to physically move hotel each night for multiple stay credits

4. Registered for this offer no problem – thx for flagging it!

5. New SPG promo out too

• Oh! Matron! says:

details?

• Oh! Matron! says:

spgpromos.com

triple star points weekends
        double weekdays

until 4th september

AND

an additional 1500 points per stay because I have the SPG Amex! You only see this after you’ve registered!

I’ve at least 4 stays coming up, so that should swell the coffers quite nicely 🙂

• Yes, dropping that in tomorrow. There is only so much hotel promo excitement people can handle in one day 🙂

6. Graham Walsh says:

Same error 🙂

Slight O/T, whilst having booked a room with IHG Promo (via the app, on my IHG card etc) should get 9.5k points. Had another offer yesterday as a birthday bonus of 5k if I stay in June. That should be a nice easy 14.5k points for a 1 night stay.

7. Is the brand bonus only available 1x per brand? In your above example you earn an extra 2000 for your second brand Moxy, if you were to stay in a Delta (brand bonus 2000) and then back to a different Moxy would you receive the “infinite” brand bonus of 2000 again or is it finite?

• Once per brand, so technically the max brand bonus is 34,000 points (bet you no-one does that) plus 2,000 per stay.

8. Seems somewhat “finite”, around 230k points even if you stay in a different Marriott every night and take in all 18 brands 😉

9. grammer says:

O/T but still Marriott

I am looking to book a Marriott rewards stay in the US next year 2018. No points at present but as i understand it i can book now and buy/earn the points via SPG Amex over the course of the next 12 months -hope i have that correct? Plus upgrade my Amex PRG to Platinum for the 20k bonus and SPG/ Marriott gold status

Is there any danger that the Marriott /SPG merger could pull the rug on the current points transfer arrangement 3x SPG > Marriott and ruin my plan?

Thanks
    grammer

• I have just done the same thing (staying in June) and it was very simple.
      I doubt that anyone outside Marriott can accurately predict what will happen next year, so my advice would be to get the points in Marriott asap. However, if you want someone else to give you more than 50,000 points you need a booking which needs points (according to T&C).

10. Alex W says:
  11. I’m looking to convert spg points to marriot to book a travel package.

To have the required number of spg points needed I’m planning to transfer amex MR points from a number of Amex Platinum accounts belonging to family members, across ultimately to my spg account.

Can somebody advise what the rules are now and the process I need to follow to transfer MR points to my spg account under this scenario?

Thanks

• I am not sure whether you will be able to transfer MR points (various) to SPG (one account).
      However if each MR account holder has SPG account too and if they are registered at same address (IIRC 30 days – Google for further details), you can freely transfer points to one account.
      You can also go from SPG to Marriott and combine from multiple marriott to single account too without any restriction, but you will need to do it over phone.

I am doing the same, SPG to SPG transfer in one account and hoping to book travel package before 15th June to get AA Miles (should net 150K AA miles)

• SPG accounts must be 30 days old and share same address IIRC. No need for surname match.

• Thanks so process to follow would i think be,

For each Amex Plat account holder ensure their SPG account is registered at same address as their Amex. (30 days minimum ?)

They would transfer from their respective Amex to their ‘matched address’ SPG account

Update all SPG accounts that SPG points will be transferred from to address matching address of my SPG account (30 days minimum) – then transfer each points balance from the various SPG accounts to my own SPG.

Then transfer as consolidated points from my SPG account over to Marriot.

Have i got right understanding on this?

many thanks

• Genghis says:

Sounds about right to me. I hold all the SPG points in our household. Mrs G only has a handful. I transfer over every so often.

• All of the SPG accounts must be registered at the same address (Amex address is irrelevant).
          I have just done similar but transferred some from Marriott to Marriott but I had got a booking without the points o it may not be possible with a package. Check carefully the T&C for a Marriott transfer – 50,000 is in there somewhere.

• Thanks – so Amex points can be transferred to any SPG account even where the address registered with SPG is different to the Amex cards, and then as long as all the SPG accounts are registered to a single common address the SPG to SPG transfers to one single account can be processed?

Also can you do the Amex to SPG transfers online?

Likewise when looking to move points from multiple SPG accounts to one SPG account is that also something that can be done online?

Thanks again for all the advice.

• All online. You need to add 0000 to your SPG number when registering the number with Amex online or it fails.

Internal Starwood transfers take 5 days as they are manually checked.