TODAY ONLY – Win Lufthansa lounge passes and $100 LoungeBuddy credit

Today – and only today – we are running a competition with LoungeBuddy.

We are giving away two prizes – one person will win $100 of LoungeBuddy airport lounge credit and another will win two passes for participating Lufthansa lounges, including Heathrow Terminal 2, which can be used irrespective of which airline you are flying.

Long-term HFP readers will know that we have covered LoungeBuddy in the past.  LoungeBuddy is an app which helps you find lounges at the airport where you currently are (via the GPS signal on your phone) or you can search for lounges at any airport.

Listings include ratings, reviews, photos and access requirements.  If you store details of your airline status cards with LoungeBuddy, the app will show you which lounges you are allowed to use.

LoungeBuddy logo

LoungeBuddy also sells day passes to pay-as-you-go airport lounges.  When you look at LoungeBuddy listings for a particular airport, lounges where you can use the app to purchase a day pass are highlighted with a large ‘Buy’ button. You can then use a pre-stored credit card number to buy an entrance pass for yourself and any number of guests. You simply show your LoungeBuddy confirmation code at the lounge entrance and you will be allowed in.

Pretty much every major UK lounge which offers paid access is available via LoungeBuddy.  This includes the First Class and Business Class lounges at London City Airport which we reviewed recently.

A few months ago LoungeBuddy teamed up with Lufthansa to give travellers the option of booking paid access to participating Lufthansa lounges via the app and website.

Lufthansa Lounge Heathrow Terminaal 2

You don’t need to be flying with Lufthansa to use a Lufthansa lounge with LoungeBuddy.  At Heathrow, you can buy access to the Lufthansa Business Lounge in Terminal 2.  LoungeBuddy can also get you into Lufthansa lounges in Germany (Frankfurt, Munich, Dusseldorf) and elsewhere (New York JFK, Paris CDG, Washington etc).

If you don’t win the competition, you can still save $10 on your first LoungeBuddy lounge visit .  HFP readers get a free $10 sign-up credit when they download the iOS or Android and app and use the code headfp when registering.

Competition

In order for HfP readers to try the LoungeBuddy service, we are giving away two prizes:

• Two free passes to participating Lufthansa lounges (expire 31st August 2017)
  • $100 LoungeBuddy credit (expires 1st July 2018)

All you have to do to enter this competition is fill out the Gleam widget at the bottom of this page with your email address. Your email address remains private. We will not give it to LoungeBuddy (unless you win) and we won’t be using it for anything else.

You need to enter by midnight tonight.

The first winner gets to choose his or her prize and the runner-up will receive the other prize.  The two Lufthansa passes could be worth more than $100 but, of course, you need to be travelling through a suitable airport in order to use them.

You must be a UK resident to enter.

Full terms and conditions are in the widget below.

If you want to find out more about LoungeBuddy, visit their website here. Clicking here (if you are reading this on a smartphone) will take you to the download page for your device – don’t forget to use code headfp for a free $10 credit.

If you cannot see the entry widget below then click here to be taken to a special entry page online.

Win lounge passes with Head for Points and LoungeBuddy

Bits: Priority Pass adds sleep pods in Dubai, last chance for TopCashback / Avios bonus
Which hotel schemes let you earn points and credit for multiple rooms?

Comments

1. Is the Lufthansa lounge in Boston accessible when flying BA? Is it any good? Would probably be my only chance to use the passes before the end of August if I won….

2. LoungeBuddy is an expensive way of gaining lounge access, albeit you can avoid the initial Priority Pass fee if buying that from scratch.

3. Never knew they had this deal with LH so had a look at pricing….

It’s £69 to use the lounge at Heathrow(!!!). As for Frankfurt, they only offer the non-Schengen facility and the arrivals lounge, each for north of 50 quid!

• Yes, pricing is not cheap, especially as T2 has the Plaza Premium lounge which is arguably nicer and half price (also bookable via LoungeBuddy!).

4. Genghis says:

Is this part of a similar deal of me being able to get into Swiss lounges in ZRH on PP?

5. Currently in Japan at the moment, but can’t enter the competition because of the geo-lock, is it possible to enter another way? Actually flying back Lufthansa from Haneda to London via Munich so would be very cool to have lounge access.

6. Who won the last UNITED passes, or is the winner not announced yet?

• The winners have been told. I actually don’t know who they are because Anika did it, although I did nip out to Cards Galore to buy the stamps :-) There were 2 winners because the first one only needed 1 pass

7. BigDave says:

uk only again grrrrr going to lose readers if you keep using geolocked offerings….

• the real harry1 says:

HFP doesn’t have much choice in the matter http://cybher.com/12/2012/07/is-your-blog-giveaway-or-competition-legal/

Including non-UK countries would lead to a lot of complexity, as each country has its own competition rules & regulations. [It would be straightforward enough for HFP to include Ireland, I guess – as the site would only have to keep to one other set of regs – my assumption being there must be a few Irish subscribers here???]

• Genghis says:

Remember the Accor in China debacle about 18 months ago?

• We give competition organisers the option of who to include. Most want UK only, mainly because the competition is being run by a UK marketing team and funded from a UK marketing budget.

Even if it is opened out we will still restrict it to a list because of spam issues from certain countries. I have had to block HFP to Romanian visitors this week, for example, due to excessive attempts to hack into the site. For a few days Romania was our 3rd biggest source of page views!

• May I remind you that under U.K. law you have to make the names of competition winners available on request. In my opinion the above was such a request.

• the real harry1 says:

don’t be thick – there’s no requirement to publish the names of the winners – and the winners may prefer to keep their privacy

responding to individual requests is different, eg by email or writing to a specific competition address, but the above was certainly not such a request

• Life is hard!

• stop being so melodramatic – no they’re not

8. Peter Taysum says:

OT

BA does REALLY good. Hilton FAIL.

I just flew Club Europe from NCL to LHR (my first time on this route). I’ve been frustrated recently that BA check in staff have needed to be “prompted” to put priority tags on cases. Sometimes, being British, and given Rob’s comments that they can’t prioritise bags at LHR, I sometimes don’t bother. I will in future.

Today, excellent service on board, and I enjoyed breakfast.

We were at a remote Gate and Club Europe PAX were disembarked on priority bus, and priority BAGS arrived first. I know. I practically fainted.

Trust me, I’m the first to criticise BA but this is a service standard that I want and am willing to pay for. Please keep this up.

Just bring back scones. I’m sure legally (in my head) it can’t BE afternoon tea in Britain without one. I had an amazing Spa day at Ramside Hall and Spa (Durham) on Sat (I’m a member took my pregnant friend for a treat; very pregnancy friendly). We had afternoon tea in the “Fusion” restaurant; east meets west; SCONE was served (as per the British legal requirement). Brilliant Spa.

Double Tree Hilton Airport Newcastle (early flight at 06:05 so decided to try it; with bonus points etc).

Restaurant closed (fine) you can eat in the bar (didn’t manage expectations of time they stopped serving food). Bar man waited a while to take my order, saw me looking at food menu; told me it’s 22:45 we can’t take orders. With a f@*k you sorry. Reception didn’t care. Duty Manager “sorry this isn’t good enough”. Yeah I know. This stay confirmed Silver for 2018! Fab.

Really nice hotel; room service food lovely; and hot! Staff just not helpful; save lovely lady who delivered room service! She was fab. She got the big tip, for being genuinely lovely. Brilliant location. Duty Manager apologised, but just had to agree dreadful service. What could she say? (She didn’t try to be fair!)

I find service standards at Hilton consistently poor. I know Rob rates Gold; I really don’t. Am going to try IHG. In Hilton Mumbai in Jan was taken to standard room rather than my Exec Suite! (I was Gold). To be fair they phoned before I could. Otherwise lovely (shame you can’t sit in the winter garden = pointless). My “view of the Shard” room didn’t have this – newly opened in London (but they gave me dinner and GLASS of wine to apologise). I don’t think they understood “breach of contract/fraud” but they offered very good compensation!

Scone, scone scone.

• I’m not sure Heathrow actually has the technology to deal with priority bags since it is fully automated, you may have got lucky.

• Surely being fully automated makes it easier to deal with priority bags?

• Humans can put non priority bags in a corner and do priority ones first. A machine can’t.

• It can if the priority-ness is in the bar code.

• Indeed – some airlines these days do it all through the barcode and RFID chips.
            Load them in the aircraft hold all together, pre-sorted before they got onto the baggage trolley, and then they come off first.

• Peter Taysum says:

Oh drat! I was hoping this was going to last!

I can’t cope with small liquids in my hand baggage! Plus, how do you hold Champagne whilst wheeling hand baggage, with 17 bacon rolls and seven glasses of Champagne! Erm, for me travelling companions…

Scone

9. Wally1976 says:

Completely OT – got into a bit of a pickle and hoping someone can help on what to do!

I’ll try and summarise as quickly as possible…

My wife’s Lloyds Avios credit card account (Amex/Mastercard) was coming up to end of 0% period so I opened her a Tesco 0% no fee balance transfer card to transfer the balance. I gave Tesco the Lloyds Amex number to transfer the balance. I don’t think their system could cope with transferring balance to the Amex number so they sent my wife a letter asking her to call them. I managed to get her to call, she gave them the Amex number again and they said it would go through within 2 days no problem.

5 days later (and 1 day until the end of 0% period on Lloyds account) it still hadn’t gone through so I logged into her online Tesco account and re-requested the balance transfer but this time using the Lloyds Mastercard number. Next day (yesterday) the balance transfer had gone through fine – Lloyds cards at NIL balance and Tesco at 95% of credit limit. Brilliant. I posted the letter signed by wife to cancel her Lloyds cards.

However, I checked today and the balance transfer has gone through twice grrrr. So now Tesco card is at 190% of credit limit and Lloyds card account has a large credit balance. Getting my wife to phone again is NOT an option – she’s quite happy for me to manage all our finances and open credit cards for her etc but she hates having to phone anyone. She went mad at me when I got her to call first time saying that the Tesco Bank person would think she was struggling for money because she was having to transfer balances!?

Anyway, currently I’m thinking I’ll wait a couple of days to see if Tesco reverse one of the transfers. They shouldn’t have allowed it to go through twice really but I’m worried she’ll get hit with charges and a hit on credit record for going over credit limit plus she’ll probably lose her 0% offer on the Tesco card. Also we’re going to have to wait for the money to come back from Lloyds if Tesco don’t reverse one of the balance transfers. If only Tesco Bank had Live Chat or Secure messaging I’d attempt to sort it through that but alas they don’t.

Anyway, apologies for the long off-topic but if anyone has any advice I’d be really grateful.

• the real harry1 says:

you need to sort it out pronto as you’ve broken Tesco’s T&Cs so they’ll start charging you interest straight away – ie the 0% offer has automatically stopped

• the real harry1 says:

ps I’ve got the same wife as you (lol you know what I mean :) ) – and she is at least willing to go through ID/ security with the card issuer then ask them to deal with me thereafter – only takes her 30 secs so might be a compromise?

• Wally1976 says:

Ha ha, are most companies willing to do that?

• Mzungu says:

Yes, most will give ‘third party access’. In some cases you need to ask/plead with the recalcitrant wife/partner to make the initial call and then hand the phone over. I usually make the initial call, explain what’s needed, and then pass the phone over to my wife for the ID bit – usually keeps her involvement down to less than 30 seconds :-)

Some companies will allow you to set up permanent third party access – BA will do this. I have a separate password to access my wife’s BAEC account on her behalf.

• Wally1976 says:

Thanks Harry, yes I thought that would be the case. Can’t see any way of doing it other than getting my wife to phone unfortunately. I’m just going to have to take the flak I guess (she’ll forgive me eventually!) Maybe they’ll just let her go through security then hand the phone to me to deal with it. Only other thing I can think of is to draft a letter and get it in the post ASAP.

• Roberto says:

Always better to ask for forgiveness every once in a while than to ask for permission on a regular basis.

• As someone on this forum said to me recently, ask her if she still minds when she is sitting in Club World drinking champagne!

• My husband is the same, so usually communicates with banks and credit card companies by email or letter as he “doesn’t have time to speak to people on the phone…”. This has been a successful tactic for several years now!

Or if it’s BA, they are usually happy for him to give brief verbal consent to them discussing his account with me, with always surprises me as they are generally so obstructive!

• Wally1976 says:

Thanks Anna, yes this has worked successfully for me up to now!

• the real harry1 says:

I have found Amex to be the most ‘allowable’ about permitting the supplementary cardholder to do stuff on behalf of the account without involving the principal, not saying it’s going to work for everybody

10. OT. Just heading​ to LHR and lost my silver card. Checked in as silver but will this cause my issues at the lounge?

• No, your boarding pass shows your status. If you download the BA app to your phone you get a digital membership card and your digital boarding passes are in a Silver colour.

11. I’m a UK resident. I happen to ben in Zurich for 2 days on business and can’t enter!!!

12. Off topic advice needed. My wife’s BA Exec Silver status expires 8th June. I’ve just noticed that she only needs 20 points, but has to do 4 eligible flights in order to retain silver. We didn’t realise that when we’ve been flying Qatar and FinnAir and getting BA points that the flights wouldn’t count as eligible. What / where is the cheapest place (twice, for four flights) to go or what advice can people give me so she can retain her Silver. Is it worth calling BA and asking for some extra time to take the flights that would qualify her? Any advice much appreciated.

• You can get a 2 week extension by calling up but absolutely nothing more. If you are based outside London then something like Manchester London Berlin for the weekend, and back, would do it. Otherwise you’d be looking at two short breaks, based on 5 tier points for each flight in discounted economy.

The cheapest flights are from Gatwick but, if you are connecting from the regions, this may well not work depending on how the connections are timed. The BA Low Fare Finder (see the link in our sidebar under Key BA Links) will show you which cities have the cheapest fares. Somewhere like Bordeaux from Gatwick is likely to be cheap.

• Thanks Rob, great advice. We live minutes from Heathrow so that would be better but of course more expensive. That BA low fare finder only gives you the option to show London, not London Heathrow. Do you have any ideas what places are cheapest from LHR? Is the two week extension guaranteed or is it up to their discretion?

• The 2 weeks seems available to anyone who asks. Given that you are very restricted now on dates you are probably a bit short on options especially as the Bank Holiday will jack up pricing, as will half term which is the same week. Something short like Paris or Amsterdam is likely to be cheapest and if you can go at odd times (because you’re nearby) even better / cheaper. There are probably good prices to Leeds Bradford etc too but ….

• Since you are close to LHR, try looking for weekend (Sat/Sun) daytrips (G class) under £100. Amsterdam, Madrid, Nice, Marseille, Geneva, Milan, Stockholm, Aberdeen, Leeds to name a few.

• Are those still going? BA has not pushed them for ages.

• Andrew says:

Yep – good option. Just booked a day trip to Barcelona (October admittedly) for £87 each return from LHR.

• Alex W says:

Is BA Silver really worth £200+ on 2 unnecessary round trips?
          Admittedly I did a couple of tier point runs to get Gold last year, which has been good as a novelty. But if you already have status and travel with your partner, I don’t think it’s really worth an extra £200+!

13. OT 1. My Clubcard statement has arrived with a 100 point bonus voucher I can use 4 times. Best offer for quite a while.

OT 2. My Lloyds avios have appeared in my avios.com account manually. Not sure of they will do this every month for the next 26 weeks or if I will have to keep chasing them!

14. OT
    Was upgraded on Sunday to 1C on BA flight from LHR to EDI – was great to try out CE on domestic routes and was a nice bonus after attaining BA gold for the first time ever. Ploughmans was actually really decent and getting a drink on a domestic flight was a novelty. No scone though :( Submitted an online form to BA thanking them for upgrade and also asking them to bring afternoon tea back up to the standard legal requirement.

• the real harry1 says:

what is the standard legal requirement for afternoon tea? sounds like a rule devised by the PG Tips chimps

• Alex W says:

I have been upgraded about 6 or 7 times on BA long haul but literally NEVER on short haul! A mild irritation though and I prefer it that way round than the inverse!

15. the real harry1 says:
  16. The thread above has too many comments so is closed but I thought I’d share something on baggage here instead. BA puts cases in bins on the planes, and there are separate ones for premium/non premium classes of travel. This is identified based solely on where people are sitting (read from the barcode), and is automatic. The exceptions are last-minute check-ins (which are thrown into whatever is open). The brightly coloured labels are put on solely to allow DYKWIA types to feel better about themselves, so don’t worry if they’re forgotten. And the system (mostly) does work very well indeed. However, it’s based on seat and not tier, so Gold doesn’t get you anything more (hence also the message on the oneworld website about BA not issuing priority baggage for members, as this is the bit that’s not technically possible).

17. the real harry1 says:
  18. the real harry1 says:

O/T the Tesco NowTV boxes just got cheaper

the points = £12, so effectively you’re paying £3 for the box + 2 months Cinema (or 3 months Entertainment)