Bits: last call for Etihad credit card sign-up bonus, other deals ending Wednesday

News in brief:

Special Etihad credit card sign-up deal ends soon

A quick reminder that 7th June (the deadline has been extended by a week from 31st May) is the last day to apply for the Etihad credit card with the current bonus of 15,000 Etihad Guest miles.

This is an excellent bonus for a card which is FREE.  Full details are on the Etihad website here.

The card has a representative APR of 22.9% variable.   Here are the key facts:

The cards are a double pack of American Express and Visa

There is no annual fee

You earn 1.5 miles per £1 on the Amex and 0.75 miles per £1 on the Visa

The issuer is MBNA, so no churning – it is likely you won’t be able to get another bonus in the future on this card if you apply now

And the rules for this promotion:

You receive the standard 5,000 miles for spending £250 within 30 days

You receive an additional 10,000 miles for spending £2,000 within 90 days

All in all, the targets are very reasonable, especially as spend on the both the Amex and Visa cards count towards the target.

Other perks include bonus miles on any Etihad flights taken in Business or First Class within 90 days of taking out the card, and Etihad Guest Silver status if you take one return flight with Etihad within a year.  Flights must be purchased using the credit card to qualify.

The downside is that 15,000 Etihad Guest miles on their own are not going to get you very far.  If you’re interested in this deal I suggest you read this full-length article which I wrote when the bonus launched and which explains the scheme in more detail.

Etihad card

Offer good deals closing this week

If you have some spare time today due to the Bank Holiday, you might also want to think about these deals which close on Wednesday 31st:

Last day to add the free credit card to your Amex Gold or Amex Platinum charge card and get 3,000 Membership Rewards points.  Article.

Last day to earn 12,000 Accor points with an Economist subscription.  Article.

Last day to earn 3,000 Flying Blue miles with a PointsHound hotel booking.  Article.

Last day to earn 30,000 Avios with a subscription to the Irish Independent.  Article.

Last day to convert Tesco Clubcard vouchers to Avios if you also want to enter the current competition.  Article.

Last day for £10 off a £50 Charles Tyrwhitt shirt order, earning Avios at the same time.  Article.

'Miles and points' for the solo traveller - should you have a different collection strategy?
How to redeem your Virgin Flying Club miles for hotel rooms

Comments

1. thereal harry1 says:

‘The airline and Mr Cruz have blamed the computer meltdown on a power failure. The vague explanation has been dismissed by aviation industry insiders as ‘moronic’. They said airlines made sure they survived power failures by using a system known as UPS – uninterruptible power supply. It means that if one mains power supply fails, the business switches automatically to a second supply.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4550644/British-Airways-chaos-cost-cutting-blame.html#ixzz4iRjDYvnb

• RIcatti says:

Will not be surprised if they simply did not have UPS units at the location(s) where they develop code and realised they don’t have the a working version of their software!

UPS technology itself is ages old — it is a fairly expensive set of accumulating batteries.

• RussellH says:

UPS technology itself is not only ages old, it is simple enough for a very small one person business to use to have kept answering machines and fax machines alive during the frequent power cuts that those of who live in rural areas with overhead electricity lines are used to. They also provide some protection during thunder storms when the line voltage can wander all over the place.

Though not much use when a direct hit shatters the light bulb over your head and knocks out the motherboard of one machine!

I still have three UPSs around the house in regular use.

It really is not that expensive.

• ThinkSquare says:

I can quite believe it. Working on large data systems I’ve seen more outages due to UPS failure than anything else. I’m almost convinced we’d be better off without the damn things

2. OT:
    I have a BA Premium Amex and an Amex Plat. I will be keeping the Plat.

I have a 2-4-1 expiring in may 18 and another expiring in may 19.

I want to cancel my BA premium amex and sign up again in 6-7 months to hopefully get a 25k signup bonus.

Q1) assuming I don’t make any 2-4-1 bookings until early next year- are my vouchers at risk?

Q2) if I do make a 2-4-1 booking after cancelling my ba premium Amex, – will they go back into my Amex account if I cancelled that flight booking?

3. Genghis says:

OT. For those who say, “but I don’t run a business, can I get a Curve card?”, Curve posted the below mentioned article re travel money on their own FB page (obviously aimed at the individual) http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/travelex-scrapped-supercard-you-wont-10505453

• TGLoyalty says:

Cut up my supercard as soon as I got the letter, it was awful.

Curve is a great product though. Highly recommended

4. Just returned a week or two ago from our first ever trip in J. Open jaw LHR-SJC-LAX-LHR for our wedding & honeymoon in California and it was amazing. The crew on the way out were especially delightful and I have vowed never to fly long haul economy again (we’ll see…) So thanks for all the amazing advice and tips!

Now planning our next long haul trip for next year, I have both the 241 and Lloyds vouchers. Was planning to do Asia, primarily interested in Japan but happy to fly back from HKG as I understand this has low taxes/fees. Does it make sense to book my Tokyo flight as a one way with the 241 and then use the Lloyds voucher to book J on the HKG to LHR flight? I know it would result in spending a couple of thousand extra avios but am I right that the low taxes wouldn’t apply from HKG if I included this as an open jaw using the 241, so I suppose it’s worth using the Lloyds voucher for the cash saving (I also don’t have any other use for the Lloyds voucher in mind)

• idrive says:

Yes correct, flying ex-HKG does not attract high taxes if booked as a different PNR.

• Exactly what we are doing for our Aus trip next year – I’ve booked the outbound leg from EDI-SIN already – stopping in SIN for 5 days – have also booked our Singapore Airlines leg to BNE – going to try and book Cathay back from BNE to HKG in a few weeks time then use the Lloyds voucher for HKG to EDI for the cheap taxes – its only 3000 more Avios and a few hundred £ cheaper in taxes/ charges!

5. OT – Accor has launched a sale, with breakfast thrown in, so some genuine value to be had. As usual with Accor, the booking window is pathetically small (until June 9) and there are stupid restrictions on when you can stay – July 7 is the earliest date – but if somebody is intending to stay at an Accor hotel within the travel period, they might get a good deal.

• Rashad says:

I have just checked for end of September in Dubai and get really good price and breakfast is still included included. not sure if it’s a glitch

6. Gareth says:

Slightly odd behaviour from the Amex site…has anyone seen this:
    – Logged on and saw banner for the the 3,000 MR points offer
    – Had a new SPG card to activate so decided to do that first then apply for the companion gold card
    – After activating the SPG card the offer for the companion gold credit card disappeared! After logging on and off a few times since it still hasn’t appeared.
    – Currently have the gold charge, SPG and BA platinum card so as per my understanding well under Amex limit of having 4 credit cards with them at once.

• Offer seems not to show multiple times. Use a fresh browser, or clear cookies, or use in-private browsing and it may reappear.

• Gareth says:

Thanks for the suggestions but no luck so far unfortunately.

• Nick M says:

Similar thing happened to me… I then clicked through one of the direct links (see comments in original article) – if the points don’t follow then I’d be emailing Amex for them – as far as I’m concerned I was targeted (if relevant)

7. idrive says:

HI Rob, are you going to refresh the Etihad miles spending options in an article any time soon?

8. Just seen that the T&Cs of the CT code state “Offer ends at midnight 30th May 2017 GMT”. Don’t know if that’s true, but just in case anyone might be irritated if they try it on 31st and it’s been pulled!