Bits: earn Accor points or 3,000 Avios for 6+ day car hires, RwandAir launches Gatwick

News in brief:

Europcar offering up to €60 or 3,000 Avios

We don’t cover Europcar much, although its £1 UK one-way rentals have proved very popular with Head for Points readers.

Whilst it doesn’t have many airline partnerships, it does have a deal with fellow French travel group Accor.

Until 30th June, you will earn 3,000 Avios or €60 of Accor hotel vouchers when you rent via Europcar for 8 days or more.  Rentals of 6-7 days earn a smaller bonus of 1,500 Avios or €30 of Accor vouchers.  Unfortunately US and Canada rentals are excluded.

Rentals must be booked AND completed by 30th June.

Full details of the offer are here on the Europcar website.

If you don’t know much about the Accor programme, let me clarify where the numbers above come from.  The Europcar deals gives you 1500 or 3000 Le Club AccorHotels points per rental.  Accor points can be redeemed for vouchers worth 2 Eurocents per point, so you get €30 or €60 of hotel vouchers.

Alternatively, if you tell Accor to send your points to Iberia Plus, they convert at 1 Avios point = 1 Accor point.  Do NOT send them to British Airways because they convert at a far poorer rate of 0.5 Avios points = 1 Accor point.

RwandAir

RwandAir launches services to London Gatwick

On Tuesday, RwandAir launched its brand new service between London Gatwick and Kigali.

This is a three-times weekly service, operated with an A330-200.  The flight time to Rwanda is 8 hours and 40 minutes.

It is a three class service offering Business, Premium Economy and Economy.  Business Class has fully flat beds.

Whilst RwandAir is not in any of the airline alliances, it does offer a new option to reach a part of the world which is not well served by direct flights from the UK.

Which BA Club Europe routes earn 160 tier points return?
When your Club Carlson points expire, and how to stop it

Comments

1. A €60 rebate on an 8 day hire? Sounds too good to be true…what’s the catch?

• callum says:

You seriously think a £6.50 per day discount in the form of hotel credit on car hire is “too good to be true”?

• Alex W says:

Haha not quite in the same league as the £190 rebate on £45 Avis rental last year

2. OT During the Amex Hilton £50 off £250 spend, I had asked Hilton to pre-charge me on a stay I have coming up next week and received the £50 credit.

However, the booking is refundable and it seems on Accelerate I have a better opportunity of completing my targets if I choose another hotel for the stay.

If I cancel the Hilton stay now and get the money refunded, what are the odds of that Amex would reverse the £50 statement credit?

• I have a BA booking made last November with a statement credit which I might have to cancel so would also be interested in anybody’s experience of statement credits being reversed.

• the real harry1 says:

hit & miss – I had to change a couple of car park bookings with Holiday Extras & nothing happened – others report losing the SC with other Amex partners in cancellation scenario

my bookings were made in good faith & I didn’t cancel them for several months – which probably helped

• I’ve had SC refunded in the past. Can’t remember merchant

• Do you mean SC reversed?

• Did you pay the cancellation premium perchance so that the refund was different from the purchass?.

• Amex do audit and claim back statement credits if the original transaction is refunded. However a workaround is if you book another one at the same or similar time with the same merchant you could always explain you had to ‘change’ the booking by making a new one and (in my experience) they have accepted this as a reasonable excuse. If you don’t use the product/company at all then they have every right to keep the money-the company concerned would rightly be peeved if they didn’t get the customer they’d been promised and had to pay anyway!

• I have had a SC reversed a couple of times when I have to change. Not specifically Hilton though.

3. Trevor says:

A friend flew Rwandair on Wednesday to Gatwick – their second flight. She said “It was great. Food was good. In flight entertainment choices a bit limited but otherwise happy. Only about 30 of us on the Plane!”

I have already booked a flight via Kigali to SA this Xmas – less than £400 compared to normal prices at that time of year which are double and upwards.

• With only 30 on the plane (perhaps at £400 each) I’d be a little concerned whether that route will still be operating at Xmas.

4. DO NOT RENT FROM EUROPCAR! Total crooks!

5. Darren says:

OT,
    I scan these pages each morning looking for new sales on BA and avios earning airlines, spending many hrs searching for flights in Premium classes. While I can see the pluses of ex EU flights, I’m struggling to choose BA, Qatar or Finnair.

It seems that the current quality scale is QR, BA, AY and the cost scale is AY, QR, BA. Then factor in convenience and, for me, it’s BA, AY, QR.

So which is best? Just tell me please and I can get off this merry go round.

• Bear in mind QR to Asia will have middle of the night transfers, AY will have 5pm transfers probably. AY more direct for East Asia.

• Genghis says:

I think the point is that the “best” is subjective. You need to weigh up the pros and cons for yourself. I value a non-stop flight where I can get a good night’s sleep. That is more important than having fancier food and lounge access in Qatar for 7 hours at silly o’clock.

• Darren says:

You both make a valid point, my worry with AY is the time of year, looking at Feb, Man-Hel-Sin. I’m sure Helsinki airport are used to winter weather though.

• London airports are more likely to experience disruption than Helsinki, especially as London suffers from the pea soup problem and I don’t think Finland does.

• Quality-wise BA will be the worst among these three, and you also get A359 for HEL-SIN

• Alex W says:

I didn’t mind the 7 hours in Qatar at silly o’clock. The al maharaja lounge or whatever it’s called had a good quiet area where you could sleep in private sections. Plus we were on a different time zone anyway so didn’t feel like silly o’clock.

6. OT: How far into the future can I book at IHG? I have a place on the RideLondon 100 miler in July 2018 and would like to book a hotel in Stratford, London the night before. Planning to book each Saturday night in July on a refundable booking and cancel nights when they announce the date.

Two IHG options – Holiday Inn and Staybridge Suites. Any experiences of either?

• You might want to look at 4/5 August too. In the past it’s been on the first weekend in August (and the first one was the second weekend, but it has settled down now).

• There’s no rush, wait a couple of months.

7. Maybe worth trying with 1k points to see what happens re booking and cancelling?

8. Curve claim that all payment systems should accept Curve as a debit, and if they don’t the company needs to update their systems (?!?!?!). DVLA still identify Curve as a credit card.

9. Erico1875 says:

My son rents 2 transits on monthly rolling contract at very good rates from Europcar.
    I wonder what amount of points he should get for these hires ?

10. RussellH says:

AIUI, you can turn your Accor points into vouchers, which you can use to pay at Accor hotels, But also IIRC, minimum spend, whether on vouchers or bookings is 2 000 points = €40,–

11. Planeflyer says:

I was on the inaugural to Kigali (and had a slice of that cake!). I thought they were a pretty decent carrier. They’re no Singapore or Cathay, but a reasonable ride, and enough IFE to get you to Rwanda and back.

12. Vinvin says:

Thanks guys. Just found an old article stating ereward transfers may reset the balance. Now trying to get them to reactivate my account with the hopes theres some loose points I could sling over. Hopefully it won’t take too long to reactivate and transfer across. If that doesn’t work out, I’ll try the book & cancel trick!

• Vinvin says:

*reset the expiry

• In my experience transferring e-rewards to Accor *does* extend the validity of those Accor points

• Thanks. This comes up in my Accor article on Monday – wasn’t clear if it still worked.

• Europcar also extends validity in my experience. Points take a while to post though!

• How recently was your experience? I thought under the new rules you had to have a stay?

13. the real harry1 says:

WEMISSYOU15 for £15 off EC

14. the real harry1 says:

BA outage – BA trying to cheat their way out of rightful compo

• Sussex Bantam says:

And…brilliantly..the link on the BA.com home page takes you to the complaint form regarding BOB. You then have to click another link to get to the disruption form which still asks you about travel insurance. What a farce.

15. Scallder says:

BA crews have voted for more strikes…