Bits: easyJet and the £475 airport lounge, win a £1000 Dubai hotel stay on Monday

News in brief:

easyJet adds a £475 airport lounge at Luton

Regular readers will know that we have reviewed the two new airport lounges at London City Airport in recent months.  Based in the private jet terminal at the airport, the (landside) Business Class reviewed here costs £35.  The First Class Lounge reviewed here, which includes private passport control and being driven to the steps of your plane, costs £95.

easyJet has clearly been taking notice, because it has announced a similar deal at Luton Airport with Signature Flight Support.

You can now arrive and depart from the new Signature Flight Support private jet terminal at Luton.  You can park at the terminal, which includes its own customs, immigration and security screening facilities.

You can then relax in Signature’s lounges until it is time for your flight.  As at London City, you will driven across the tarmac directly to your easyJet flight where you can board at your leisure while your luggage is transferred to the aircraft.

So far, so interesting.  The cost is a bit of a shock though – £475 for one person and £120 for each additional person in the group.  Given that London City offers a virtually identical service for £90, I think the appeal will be limited.  That said, if the artists impression below of the new facility is accurate, it does look classy.

You can read more on the easyJet website here.   Let’s see if Signature will let us test it out …..

PS.  We are hoping to run a competition on HFP soon to win passes for the First Class and Business Class lounges at London City – keep an eye out.

Signature Flight Support Luton

Win a £1,000 Dubai hotel stay on Monday

A quick heads-up that we are giving away three nights at the brand new, very luxurious, The Address Boulevard hotel in Dubai on Monday.  This is worth around £1,000.

We originally raffled this at the Head for Points Christmas party last December.  The winner is unable to use it, however, and The Address has generously extended the deadline in order to let us re-offer it.

So, if you can spare 3 nights for a mini-break in Dubai before the end of November, make sure you take a look at HFP on Monday or Tuesday.

HFP / Virgin Atlantic deal: £50 gift card with your booking + economy fare sale
When your Marriott Rewards points expire, and how to stop it

Comments

1. That’s a ridiculous price. As a point of comparison, SIN airport offers an entire terminal (JetQuay), including buggy/special immigration etc for about 200 quid… and it’s good for THREE people

2. Gareth says:

Any news on the Qatar flight competition…

3. JamesB says:

The whole idea of offering a lounge that might be about 20x the price of a ticket in some cases just makes me want to smile. I flew easyjet for the first time ever on my recent European tour and was quite impressed. One of the two flights had what I believe was probably their older seats and the other a version of new slimmer seats being introduced by many airlines. I found both to be more comfortable than BA seats and legroom seemed comparable, perhaps even marginally better. Staff were pleasant and handled buy on board very efficiently without a fuss. Our return flight from CPH was about 25 minutes late but only because a late-departing Ryanair flight was blocking the stand. I will be more than happy to fly easyjet again.

4. Could someone clarify is the price for the entry to the lounge or to actually own the lounge outright?

5. Having used Luton a year ago, I can see the thinking here. There’s nothing wrong with the main terminal at City, but there’s plenty to dislike about Luton. Admittedly not £475 worth, but still.

And I guess it’s a third party service used by the business jets -and maybe even has base pricing is US dollar – so it costs what it costs.

6. Couldn’t resist so booked the lounge.

7. Peter K says:

For those who want it that hotel comp sounds good… But Unless you’re on business, why would you want to travel to Dubai for only 3 nights? 14+hrs of flights from/to the UK seems excessive for just 3 days.
    I don’t like to travel to Europe for less than 4days to make it worth while. For a weekend jolly I stick to the UK.
    Maybe I’m alone here but I like to settle into the hotel the first night and morning, then explore the area afterwards and 3 days doesn’t give much time for that.

• Gareth says:

Could always pay and add on a couple of extra nights onto three night competition win.

• Is there an Ibis nearby for the extra nights? 😉

I think paying an extra few nights in the same (extortionate) hotel defeats the whole purpose of ‘winning’ the competition.

• I wouldn’t personally be that interested in this one, but have done lots of out Fri/back Sun weekend breaks in Europe and some out Thurs back Sun to east coast US, although they were definitely a bit more pushed time-wise, although late night departure on the Sun with decent sleep overnight worked out!

• I’ve been with mates for 3 nights before now. If you know the city already it is easier. Flights would be £325 each in Eco so not too pricey all in.

I have just been in New York for 3 nights and it worked fine. My own Dubai trip in March was also 3 nights.

• 3 nights is my optimum short break. Horses for courses.

• I think the point is that, in Dubai, you wouldn’t really want to ‘explore the area’. You’d stay in the hotel and then be glad to get back home. Rob says that his family often don’t leave their hotel, so it’s clearly a Dubai thing.

• If we’re at Madinat we do a day at Wild Wadi and a session at Dubai Mall, tied in with watching the fountain show. Plus a few trips out to my wife’s sister.

• the real harry1 says:

it’s a horrible, vile place to go on holiday apart from hotel, hotel food, hotel pool, weather

no culture whatsoever, all the locals are extremely arrogant & rude – and there’s nothing good to see older than 25 years

visiting family is one thing – but I’ll never waste another minute of my life in the Middle East (quite like to see Oman)

hardly a better option than North Korea

• Waribai says:

Are you moonlighting for the Dubai tourist board? 🙂

• Callum says:

I really don’t understand this infatuation with the utterly pretentious Dubai (unless you’re obsessed with luxury shopping etc)! Easily the worst trip I’ve ever taken in my life – if I had a choice between it and North Korea, NK would win without a seconds thought.

• No fan of Dubai here, but given the American student who has now been in a coma for almost a year at the hands of NK would certainly give me some pause for thought…

• Get some kids.

• Nick Burch says:

Just hop in a taxi over to Sharjah, there’s quite a few good museums and art galleries there, you can easily spend 2 days seeing them all!

• callum says:

I would still choose North Korea in a heartbeat.

Nor would having kids change my mind – I can think of a million places I’d rather take kids than a slave-built oasis in the desert for the rich and wealthy!

8. Mr Dee says:

I haven’t heard of an easyJet flight for one person being more than £475 so for just the lounge seems bizarre, must be some publicity stunt.

9. Mummy55 says:

This may soon be the only way to get into a lounge when not traveling with an airline with its own lounge! . On Tuesday the aspire lounge in Newcastle was refusing entry to Priority Pass holders and others because it was fully booked due to their new contract with Thomson Holidays.
    I was told even though it didn’t look full they had to hold tables for three hours for ‘Thomson Clients’ even if they didn’t turn up. Looking at the Thomson website they pay £26 for 3hours in the lounge.
    The dress code rule does not seem to apply as most were dressed in football shirts and shorts( the normal Geordie travel outfit) . I can see why they would think it good value ,3hours of drink and bacon sandwiches! (at 5.00am). I was also told that Priority Pass was only for walk ins if there was room, implying that they were doing us favour should they ever have room to let us in.
    As Thomson uses most UK airports and most only have Aspire lounges I can see this happening quite often.

• Joseph Heenan says:

Similar experiences in other countries too – LoungeKey lounges in SFO and AMS both refused entry as they were ‘busy’. Former had space reserved for KLM business customers (so lounge only available to others if KLM flight is half empty). In AMS it seemed they were accepting walkin cash customers whilst denying LoungeKey & priority pass (complaint sent to HSBC about that one!).

• Joseph, gld you are taking it up with HSBC. That happened with my OH in Mid East. I complained to Amex, as it was with PP then. They gave us a £25 credit for each non entry. Had to submit BP tho, plus f and b receipts, so hold on to them….turned out it was a scam, they were not even supposed to be charging for pp entry, claimed pp were NOT free. Chaps on the take. But your example is more serious, as LK and PP should have the same right of entry as paying customers. After all, PP and LK pay our entry fee. Keep us posted on your outcome, as it’s totally immoral.

10. Surely anyone dropping £475 on lounge access wouldn’t be caught dead at Luton?! Or is this marketed at private jet customers?

• the_real_a says:

Im not so sure. There are plenty execs now flying Easyjet and if the office or your home is better placed for Luton then why no use it? Luton is pretty awful in terms of queues so i can see demand for this service even at this price.

• Charlie says:

The lounge is by Easyjet and I don’t think they offer private jets!

11. Are you sure it didn’t cost them £475 to build?? 😀 there must be some mistake

12. Geoggy says:

Not to mention the generosity of the lovely HfP reader that couldn’t use it and handed it back for all you lovely people

;0)

13. FreddieTheFrog says:

OK, calm down everybody, it was a typo… the actual entry fee is £4.75 🙂

Phew, glad that’s sorted !

14. I pass through Signature frequently – it’s a lovely room but other than a well-stocked bar I can’t see who would pay this much money. There is no food or buffet as you’d get in a normal airport Business Class lounge. If you’ve got £475 to spend on a waiting room and a nice drink, then I imagine you’d also have enough money to book a private jet (for example a little Citation Mustang to AMS might “only” cost around £2.5K one way). Strange link up with Easyjet, in my opinion.