Your final answer to the IHG Rewards Club Premium MasterCard free night question

On Sunday I wrote about the confusion being caused over the issuance of the ‘end of year’ free hotel night voucher with the IHG Rewards Club Premium MasterCard.

I am very positive about the IHG Rewards Club Premum MasterCard and I think that most cardholders WILL want to continue with it after the first year.

All you are paying is £99, and this gets you:

on-going IHG Rewards Club Platinum status which comes with some decent benefits on your InterContinental, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo etc stays

a free night voucher for spending £10,000 (worth £250+ if spend wisely)

an excellent earnings rate of 2 points (worth about 0.8p – 1p) per £1

double points on overseas spending and spending at IHG hotels

and these points count towards status if you are going for top tier Spire Elite

As a legal reminder, this card has a representative APR of 41.5% variable including the £99 fee based on a notional £1200 credit limit.

IHG Rewards Club credit card premium

Some people, however, will want to cancel.  The voucher is triggered on the anniversary of opening your account.  Your annual fee of £99 appears on your next statement, which could be a few days or a couple of weeks later.

Creation, which issues the card, has to date been all over the place when readers have contacted them to ask how they should deal with this situation.  To be fair, the first anniversary of the launch of the card does not come round until later this week so it has been a purely theoretical discussion so far.

I have been speaking with Creation about this and there is now a position on how the process will work if you choose to cancel your card.  The customer service centre has been fully briefed about the policy and you should not have any problems.

Cancelling mid-year:

If you have spent £10,000 on the Premium card but cancel during your card year, you will not receive the free night voucher.  You must hold the card for the full year.

Cancelling at the end of the year:

Once the 12-month anniversary date has passed, you will receive the free night voucher as long as you spent over £10,000 in the previous year

If you ring Creation to cancel your account after the 12-month anniversary date has passed, but before your next statement is issued, you will still receive the free night voucher.  There is not a problem with the fee as it will not have been added to your account yet.

If you have just received a statement which includes the £99 fee for the second year, you can close your account before the next statement date and fee will not be due.  The only exception is if you have spent on the card after the £99 fee has been applied – in this case, you will be deemed to wish to continue with the card for another year. You will still receive the free night voucher.

After 30 days from the date that the fee for Year 2 is added to your account, you are liable to pay it.  You can still cancel your card but you will not receive a fee refund.  You will still receive the free night voucher.

The free night voucher should be added to your IHG Rewards Club account within a month, give or take, of the £99 fee being charged.  It does not matter if you cancel your credit card before the voucher appears on your IHG account – you will still receive it.

I hope that is clear.  The bottom line is that, if the card is not use, you have at least four weeks from your card anniversary date to cancel without paying the fee.

That said, as I wrote above, you should think carefully before cancelling because the card does offer an EXCELLENT package and you will struggle to find a better Visa or MasterCard offer to replace it.

If you speak to anyone at Creation who gives you a different line to what I have written above, get in touch with me and I will give you the details of the person to contact.

If you don’t already have the IHG Rewards Club Premium MasterCard and want to find out more about it, my full review is here.

Major Crossrail changes as Terminal 5 gets included - and HEx joins Oyster PAYG
Save 25,000 miles - Virgin launches Upper Class reward sale from Manchester

Comments

1. The Original Nick says:

O:T, I have seen some comments just recently about adding Lloyds Avios Duo Amex and Mastercard to Curve and using abroad to withdraw from an ATM. Is this possible?

• Not the Amex, only the MC. See other comments for full chat.

• The Original Nick. says:

Thanks Alan. Of course, Amex we can’t link anymore.

• Yep, living in hope it might come back! PS comments were in today’s Bits articles (re World Cup)

2. nothing being uploaded about the 48hr Qatar sale? Was looking forward to an overview 🙂

3. memesweeper says:

I’ve found the IHG card to be hopeless so far for making tax payments, if you pre-pay the card with sufficient (or nearly) cash to make the large HMRC payment they suspend the card without warning. Unless you get Creation to give you a whopping limit, this card is of limited use for high-turnover folks.

• I struggle to get more than £2,000 through on either Creation or MBNA cards (Creation I find £1750 is easier). Given that I have VAT, PAYE and income tax to pay this is not hugely convenient. I am thinking of making weekly payments although that would mean prepaying my tax bills.

• Joseph Heenan says:

I got a 10K limit on my IHG Black card, and have made multiple £6K+ payments to HMRC on it with no issue, then made a payment to the card 2-3 days later as soon as they come out of pending on website, then done more payments to HMRC 2-3 days later as soon as the website shows the payment has hit the card. I’ve never run into any issues.

• Genghis says:

Max I’ve paid I think is £6k on IHG Black. No issues whatsoever.

4. Slightly off-topic.
    I logged into my IHG account today to use my free night earned from my Barclaycard last year. The free night was due to expire mid-August this year. However there is no sign now of the free night, and the ‘Free Night Status’ option on the LH side of Account Summary has disappeared.
    Before I try and contact IHG I wonder whether anyone has the same problem, or is there a known glitch, or are Barclaycard free nights being wiped if you take out the Creation card?

• I remember there being a glitch before with Accelerate free nights and we had to call them to book – don’t think it’s related to Creation at all. Does anyone have the free night status option in the menu now? I’ve not had it for months.

5. Boon Koh says:

I’m still confused! My anniversary just passed (5th July). Should I cancel now, or wait till the statement comes out with the £99 fee?

Rob’s post states that the voucher will be issued 1 month after the £99 fee is charged.

If I cancel before the statement with the £99 fee is issued, will the free night cert not be automatically sent to my IHG account? Or will it still?

• Yes, it will be sent. Cancel whenever you want as you’re over the card anniversary date.

6. Stephen Denny says:

Hi, Just wondering if anyone else is hanging onto the IHG black card long term, i plan to keep it for a second year and i am now passed the anniversary date yet the counter for this years free night has not reset to zero. I want to pay my July tax bill with it but want to make sure its not going to do down as spend for the first tax year? Anyone else noticed their counter has not reset?

Cheers

• Has your statement generated yet? I’m holding onto it too, but would wait for that first.

• Genghis says:

My actual anniversary date was earlier this week but the statement generated probably tomorrow will be 12 statements from the initial statement generated. I’m putting off some large payments too until they count towards next year’s spend target.

• Ditto although already had some spend I couldn’t hold off on given Bank Holiday tomorrow, so have ended up a grand total of £11k over the target this year!!

• Genghis says:

You lucky Scottish lot!

• Haha although we didn’t have the one you had earlier in the year – varies all over Scotland as to which area gets which. NI is the place to be for extra bank hols though – think they have 2/yr more than everyone else 😀