Last chance to earn Avios with Business Traveller – and get free GHA Platinum status

Business Traveller magazine is ending its partnership with Avios on 30th September.  If you didn’t think there was any reason to subscribe, because you always pick one up in the airport, read on ….

Until 30th September, new subscribers will earn:

• 400 Avios on a one-year £34 subscription
  • 1,200 Avios on a two-year £65 subscription
  • 2,400 Avios on a three-year £90 subscription

You can sign up here.

According to the offers page of ba.com, existing subscribers can also earn Avios if they renew by 30th September.  A two-year renewal would earn 1,300 Avios and a three-year renewal 2,500 Avios.

I’m not sure how you renew and earn Avios, however, as the website here only appears to be for new subscribers. (EDIT: as per the comments, existing subscribers are being contacted directly with a renewal offer.)

….. and get free Platinum status with Global Hotel Alliance

One reason for subscribing to Business Traveller is that you will get a year of Platinum status with Global Hotel Alliance for free.

If you have a stay at a GHA hotel coming up, especially at a resort, it may be worth subscribing for a year just to get this benefit.

Once your subscription is confirmed, you need to sign up for Business Traveller Plus VIP membership here and claim your GHA Platinum status as well as various other benefits.

What is Global Hotel Alliance?

Global Hotel Alliance is a marketing group used by 35 upmarket hotel brands with a total of 550 combined properties. Kempinski is the biggest one you might be familiar with.

In general, these are strong national chains in their respective heartlands which have not – with the exception of Kempinski – made the jump to being global brands.

GHA Global Hotel Alliance

The full list of members is:

• Al Faisaliah
  • Shaza
  • Tangram
  • Thon
  • Tivoli
  • Ultratravel
  • Viceroy

GHA Discovery is the loyalty programme for Global Hotel Alliance.

Because of the loose nature of the GHA grouping, it has not been possible to develop a points based redemption programme.  GHA does not have the muscle with its members to make them accept £20+ per night for a reward night, which is all the major hotel programmes pay to their properties if the hotel is not completely full.

Instead, the programme is driven by benefits.  Here is the full list but in summary:

Gold is the entry level, given to you immediately when you sign-up.  This is well worth doing.  It gets you free internet, free bottled water and a free newspaper.

Platinum is their mid-tier status given after 10 nights in a year.  Platinum gives you extra benefits on top – an upgrade to the next room category, 3pm late check-out and a local amenity.

Black status requires 30 nights and gets you a 9am check-in, 6pm late check-out and a double upgrade.

You receive Platinum status with your Business Traveller subscription.  Whilst benefits are never guaranteed, I have had a few emails over the years from HFP readers who received good upgrades at GHA resorts.  Those people only joined after reading about the Business Traveller offer in previous HFP articles.

Bits: New BA First Liberty washbags, trick when earning Avios with SriLankan
Get 3000 Flying Club miles with Virgin Money International Money Transfer

Comments

1. This may seem like a silly question but if I subscribe for three years will I get three years as GHA platinum or just one?

• Unofficially GHA seems to roll it over but it is not an official benefit.

• Thanks. I think I’ll try it.

• Nick Burch says:

I’ve tended to do 1-2 GHA stays a year since getting GHA Platinum with Business Traveller. That seems to be enough to keep them kindly renewing my Platinum status!

2. Danksy says:

I did this 2 years ago and received decent benefits in palm springs where we had a huge suite in a detached bungalow at the omni resort. In St. Petersburgh corinthian we received a deluxe room and lounge access, at the tivoli Lisbon we received a deluxe room with lounge access. Well worth it!

This year I was upgraded to black but have alas not used it yet!

• I had a good upgrade to a villa with private pool at Alila Ubud this year. I actually booked through Hotels.com but they acknowledged GHA status explicitly. All I did was email in advance. £30 Well spent. Only got the upgrade and not the “local experience” but even so a great deal.

3. Thanks for flagging this promotion Rob, it’s appreciated. And thanks to those of you who have already subscribed using the offer.

It runs until September 30, and it is indeed the last opportunity to earn Avios with Business Traveller subscriptions, so we want as many people as possible to take advantage of the generous bonus Avios.

Existing subscribers are being contacted individually with details of the renewal offer – we’ve asked BA to remove that part of the message from the offer page, as it is confusing as you say.

Thanks again Rob (and Tom says hi).

• Guessing you work for one of the companies mentioned in the article? Nice of you to make that clear…

• If you read Business Traveller you’d recognise Mark’s name, and if you click the link on his name it would take you to the BT website. And given the content of the comment it is clear it is official.

4. Georges Pharand says:

I do wonder if there’s any point of subscribing to BT Magazine now. As you point out Rob, anyone who flies BA regularly can get it for free. Blogs such as yours and some of the really good american ones have completely surpassed BT. I’m still a subscriber and even with their website, weekly briefing and occasional posts on social media, I can honestly say that there is nothing I read on BT that I haven’t already read elsewhere. Also, it seems as if most of what is written on BT is copied and pasted from press releases and the bloggers reviews are far superior. They are getting left behind by the competition, which is free! So if BT want to survive, they need to think about changing their business model completely. The glossy magazine format is outdated. My last renewal is going to be my last one.

• I think they would survive ok if it was free, given the ad revenue. You will always get a lot of businesses that take it. Personal subscribers are probably modest in number.

• There some very good in-depth features in BT, far more detailed than we ever cover. The BT website doesn’t really push these much, probably to preserve the value of the print edition (there is a paywall on some website content). At the end of the day they have the resources to dedicate to long-form content which we don’t.

5. Hello George,
    Sorry to hear that.
    I’m surprised you’ve read it all elsewhere.
    The last issue had, amongst others, pieces on Passenger Rights after the United debacle, a feature on airport innovation, top 10 UK rail routes, the global market for African fashion brands focusing on destinations such as Dakar, Lagos and Addis, the attractions of Seoul and beyond,
    Four Hours in Guangzhou, whether herbal remedies help your health when travelling frequently and Golfing around Muscat.
    Thank you to all those who have subscribed recently, and particularly from Head for Points. I hope you enjoy the GHA membership, the avios, the magazine and the website.

• JamesB says:

I’ve read loads of stuff on BT website I’ve not read on HFP and vice versa. The two combined with LL seem to meet my needs and I no longer read other blogs or forums including FT. Seriously considering a subscription since I now have difficulty reading print edition, and because GHA chains are relatively strong in Asia where I travel most. The main question mark is how widely recognised third party bookings might be as the pricing on hotels can vary quite a bit. Will BT continue to offer Virgin FC miles or are those deals ending too?

• Nick Burch says:

A couple of months ago, I ended up reading both the UK and Indian versions of Business Traveller. (I have a UK subscription, the Indian one was in a hotel room). There was a surprising number of very interesting articles only in one of the editions but not the other! With a subscription, you can go onto their website and read all the interesting stuff from the other places they publish

Otherwise, their customer service has been excellent and super helpful with getting me GHA status on very short notice. Their subscriber only events in London (you need to register with them to get on the “I’d like to come” list) are brilliant too, I had an awesome time at the wine tasting a few months back, including chatting with Tom :)

6. Joga Bains says: