New IHG PointBreaks list of 100 x 5,000 point hotels released, book on Monday

Yesterday, IHG Rewards Club (the Holiday Inn, HI Express, Crowne Plaza, InterContinental etc group) released a “preview” of the new list of PointBreaks redemptions.

These rooms are a fantastic deal.

All of the hotels below will be available for just 5,000 IHG Rewards Club points per night from Monday, saving up to 25,000 points per night in some cases.

PointBreaks availability is very limited so book ASAP if you are interested, as soon as bookings open up on Monday. Bookings are refundable as with a standard reward reservation so there is nothing to lose.  IHG works on US time – they are meant to go live about 5pm UK time but are often there an hour or so earlier.  It could be 2pm based on recent lists.

You can book via the IHG PointBreaks page here or via the standard booking page hereIf the PointBreaks page has not yet been updated, it does not necessarily mean that the special deals below will not already be bookable – do a search on the hotel you want to check.

You will be able to book these hotels for dates up to 31st October.

Crowne Plaza Vilnius

You allowed a maximum of two bookings per individual hotel. Each booking can be for as many nights as you want.

Remember that if you attempt to amend your booking later by dropping a night or two the whole booking will reprice at the full rate.

Unfortunately, this is a very America-centric list.  Pickings are thin elsewhere.

As usual, it is an eclectic list.  The Holiday Inn Express in Croydon is well placed for Central London (10 minutes walk to East Croydon station and a very short train ride).  We all have our individual travel schedules for the next three months and – if any of these hotels prove suitable for your itinerary – you’ve got a great deal.

The list:  (remember that you cannot book until early afternoon on Monday):

UNITED KINGDOM

CANDLEWOOD SUITES JEFFERSON CITY

NEBRASKA:
CANDLEWOOD SUITES OMAHA – MILLARD AREA
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS & SUITES CHERRY HILLS

NEW HAMPSHIRE:
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS KEENE
HOLIDAY INN SALEM (I-93 AT EXIT 2)

NEW MEXICO:

COLOMBIA:
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS YOPAL

ECUADOR:
HOLIDAY INN GUAYAQUIL AIRPORT

PARAGUAY:
CROWNE PLAZA ASUNCION

BA Holidays Flash Sale - New York in Club World with hotel from £1293!
Bits: new low tax Toronto Avios redemptions on airberlin, Pine Cliffs with SPG Moments

Comments

1. SydneySwan says:

Eclectic – I think crap is a better word. This is a very poor list indeed. The only one that would have piqued my interest is HEX Croydon but I won’t be in UK this quarter. Asia is extremely poor and Oceania non-existent.

It is hard to see Pointsbreaks surviving for too much longer. I long for the halcyon days of 2007 when I booked 13 nights in Australia and Malaysia and the IHG systems were so poor that i earned points on some of those nights as if I had paid. Those were the days. Sadly long gone.

• Oh so maybe IHG should run the list past you next time? This is a great promotion if you are able to take advantage, long may it continue.

• SydneySwan says:

What a splendid idea! Probably wouldn’t be a good idea for IHG’s bottom line though. It would be good to see Intercontinental Park Lane on Pointsbreaks. Rob would probably book a 90 day stay and run HFP out of it.

• A friend once moved into HI Wembley when it was still 10k and he gap between a flat lease ending and his new place being available.

Someone else I know did 30 night at 5k at a CP beach resort a few years ago.

• +1 on the declining choices.

2. Candlewood Suites in Bowling Green, KY… A chance to lay a wreath at the site of the Bowling Green Massacre… :p?

3. We are travelling in and around 9 southern and eastern USA states next month and staying in 5 – might be able to switch one night saving only 5k on an already cheap redemption.

• I do admire you Liz. You really have an expert eye when it comes to maximize opportunities.

• I do a huge amount of research about 18 mths before a trip. I track redemption flights and research hotels, read travel books and maps then plot a route and places to stay and build a road trip. We are all booked for a 6 week trip to Singapore and Oz next May/June all on pts incl internal flights to Melbourne and Alice Springs! I’ve already done my research for a USA Canyon trip covering Utah, Colorado, Arizona, S Dakota, Montana, Idaho and Nebraska for 2019. I feel like I have turned in to a travel agent!

• Although I find planning can be part of the fun of the holiday too – plus love it when a plan all comes together nicely! 😀

• I love the planning – reading books and maps! I still can’t believe I pulled off the Australia trip. EDI-LHR-SIN with BA in F, SIN-BNE business with SIngapore Airlines using last years Platinum card churn, , BNE-SYD business on Qantas, SYD-LHR-EDI BA 241 in CW plus BNE-MEL-ASP-MEL-BNE in Econ for 448000 miles and £1567 cash! Would never have been able to do this without this site!

We cancelled the White Virgin card in readiness for an offer. I’ve taken note to go upstairs to the patio! Thanks Alan!

• Optimus Prime says:

Wow, sounds great! You should send Rob an article on how you managed those redemptions. Do you get most of the points off credit card churning?

• I get airmiles from Tesco and credit card churning – not flying or buying Avios directly. I get hotel pts from credit card, a handful of paid stays although even less now we have our caravan and I buy maximum IHG pts twice a year. I try to redeem for no more than 20k per night if I can to help make the pts go further and I must get better value than buying the points otherwise I pay cash for the stay. Not doing anything different to anyone else. We tend to do one big trip per year but this year we are doing two. Flying UC with Virgin for the first time next month so looking forward to that and a visit to the Clubhouse!

• Enjoy! Remember to head upstairs and right out onto the patio area for good views of the apron 🙂

Also remember to chat to the reps there to get the enhanced sign-up deal on the credit card!

• @Pangolin – I could never write a blog. I just read this blog and all the comments faithfully every day and take from it what I can do and leave the rest. We just love American road trips and we are working on visiting all the states of America – after this upcoming trip we will be at 30 states. 2019 trip will add a further 7 new states. Already saving Hilton pts and American Airline miles for a Hawaii trip in the future and hoping to use some Tesco points towards an Alaskan cruise sometime in the future too. I am an avid scrapbooker – when I come back from our trips I scrapbook them – I take thousands of photos and buy loads of postcards and stickers and keep my leaflets and write a travel journal. We will be able to look back on our trips in our dotage!

• Robman says:

Would love to know more about the 2019 road trip you’ve planned. What’s the duration of the trip and what sorts of distances will you cover? Sounds amazing.

• Plan is fly in to Denver, drive south to Colorado Springs, Mesa Verde, in to Utah to Arches NP, Monument Valley, dip down to Arizona to do Page and Antelope Canyon, back to Utah and Bryce and Zion Canyons, north to Salt Lake City, up to Jackson and Yellowstone NP in Wyoming and Idaho, across Montana to S Dakota and visit Mt. Rushmore, drive down through Nebraska (can’t find much to do there but will tick off another state), back to Cheyenne and to Denver – roughly 2500 miles and will probably take a month to do it as we are now both retired. Basically doing a big square road trip. A friend did most of this trip via an organised tour in about 2 weeks but it wasn’t enough time to see things properly.

• Brilliant trip and great to do it over a month! 😀

• Pangolin says:

Liz, you’re an inspiration. I also love the planning phase and particularly reading guidebooks and poring over maps but it sounds like you’re really on top of things!

You should be writing a blog to give more info about your approach. I’d also love to do a USA road trip and my plan/route would be similar to yours (much more interested in the areas you mention than East/West Coast).

• Sounds a great trip Liz. I started a trip from Denver and it was a great city – nearby is Americas highest paved road and in June there was still a lot of snow about at the top. Monument Valley was my highlight btw

• Agreed – Hampton Inn Kayenta is a good choice for Monument Valley too – was good value (25k points) and a decent property in an excellent location.

• This sounds amazing, just what I want to do when we retire and can go for a month. I’m hoping next August to spend around 16 nights with 3 of us doing a mini road trip starting in Washington DC with 2 4 1 plus Lloyds voucher, going to Gettysburg, then Shenandoah National Park, followed by a few days in the colonial Jamestown/Williamsburg then back to DC/Baltimore. We have a timeshare which will cover 7 nights, hoping to get 2 x free Hilton nights then the rest through hotels.com. Like Liz, my points are mostly from credit cards, Tesco and the occasional top up when there’s a 50% bonus.

• We are travelling up from the Outer Banks, North Carolina to Richmond for 2 nights next month – one of the points break hotels is in Williamsburg so I will switch one of the Richmond ones for that one and we can have a wee wander round that area for a day.

• Concerto says:

Have a think about doing a road number trip some time. There are lots of options but you’ve got to have the strength to push to the end. The one that blows me away is US-89, from Flagstaff up past the greatest national parks to the Canadian border. Another that I loved was US-7, up through New England.

• @Concerto – we did a small part of US89 this year when we detoured off Route 66 for a bit. We will also be doing another part of US89 in Utah. It does look a great drive from top to bottom tho – maybe one day after all the states have been ticked off the list. The Lincoln Hwy is another. We have already done a New England in the Fall drive but need to do another trip as we didn’t visit Connecticut or Rhode Island and we loved Vermont and have friends in New Hampshire!

4. Rob,

You mentioned heathrow sheraton can be had for £49 over saturday night.
    Any tips for finding this rate?

• JamesB says:

Don’t know about their own website but easy to find at this price on third party booking sites. Try skyscanner.

• Thanks,

I have a personalised offer of points at which anything around £50 mark means free stay (by getting spg points). So hoping to book on spg for stay credit

• At certain times of the year they do this, or at least have done historically. However, the Skyline is now owned by Qatar and they are using it for all of the Qatar Airways crews at the moment who are flying the BA ‘strike breaking’ aircraft. It will remain full and therefore pricey until that ends.

5. JamesB says:

OT IHG: anybody else experiencing problems trying to log in to accounts on android devices today? My partner get message saying they have systems error, try again later or call CS.

• JamesB says:

Update: seems to be resolving itself. Can now log in to app again and desktop view which requires id, pin and surname. Not yet working on mobile view requiring only id and pin.

6. Genghis says:

OT Any idea when we will receive our reward nights on the IHG Black card? My next year’s account fee was added to the statement generated a few days ago.

• The_real_a says:

Same here. Although I cancelled the card to avoid the fee. Have been waiting 2 weeks.

• Mr Dee says:

Same here still waiting and was charged over a week ago

7. …and another OT, at the Conrad St James on Sunday but not sure which card to put it on?? Have already registered for both avios and enhanced base points.

8. OT – help appreciated.

In the process of spending my target for my Plat Amex before cancelling in a couple of months, obviously there are various perks to the card eg PP and hotel status, is there anything else I should be looking at? Which of these last even after I cancel my Amex?

Also does anyone have any guidance on what the process is for the hotel status, is it something you do directly with the hotels or through Amex?

Thanks for any help

• Hotel statuses all continue until natural end of year for each programme. PP stops as soon as Plat cancelled.

• JamesB says:

The PP ends when you cancel your card. Hotel status continues for remainder of the achievenent year and the whole of the next staturs year which varies by hotel chain. You sign up fr all of these via the amex website, you will get confirmation emails when hotel status is updated. There are reports that if you are already hilton gold for example, that the benefit is rolled over for another year.

9. I’m sorry if this is obvious but will the next points break list start in November? I’m going to Japan then and hoping that there will be something available. (I’m sure there was a crown plaza somewhere in Japan the last time)

10. wetboy1uk says:

Rob, you are so kind calling it an eclectic list – I would have referred to it as a shite selection.

• Johnny_c-l says:

Great summation of the quality of PointsBreaks.

I used to always manage to find somewhere worth making a trip to, which would in turn drive my loyalty to IHG and cash bookings.

The lists for the last 2 years have been so dismal I don’t see the point in them continuing with it. I’d much rather see a more varied list with varying points discounts, or maybe a flat 50% off or something. But offering a decent choice would undoubtedly encourage higher participation and the subsequent loyalty from travellers.

• the real harry1 says:

obviously the balance has shifted to [rewarding loyalty by] driving stays in less popular destinations – because more popular places don’t need to see/ won’t welcome the drop in revenue/ room

• Genghis says:

How does pointbreaks work re internal recharges? Ie who pays for the promo and how do hotels come to be on the list?

• the real harry1 says:

it’s a fair question – to which I have no answer

my guess would be that at best, costs are shared

even then as Mgr of a popular place, decently committed to the cause (Loyalty, not just Career Prospects etc) – I’d be thinking that I get judged first & foremost on my numbers

• Never clear. FT comments in the past have suggested that hotels do not control it. IHG presumably swallows it – hotel only gets $20 anyway if hotel not full.

11. Simon Schus says:

Trying to book a trip for a couple of weeks. I’m really missing Accor’s Happy Monday’s today. What a lovely little deal that was for guests (well, me).