How to book a low cost ‘day room’ at a Hilton

Hilton has quietly been rolling out its ‘rooms for day use’ offering over the last couple of years.  This allows you to book a hotel room for the working day – the idea is to compete with the likes of Regus who rent private offices by the day.  The hours offered vary by hotel but usually start at 9am or 10am and end at anywhere between 4pm and 6pm.

Having used many Regus day offices in the past, I can confirm that you would often get more space – as well as more facilities – by using a Hilton hotel room instead.

These rooms are very easy to book online.  Simply visit hilton.com and set you check-in and check-out date to be the same.

Hilton London Heathrow Airport hotel Exterior

These rooms are not bargains but are usually in line with what Regus or one of its competitors would charge for an office for a day.  For 5th September in London I found, and this is only a selection:

Hilton London Green Park – £97

Hilton London Paddington – £99

Hilton London Bankside – £139

Hilton London Euston – £99

DoubleTree by Hilton Islington – £80

Hilton London Gatwick – £75 (handy for long layovers)

Hilton London Heathrow Terminal 4 – £108 (ditto)

I know a couple of people who have booked one of these rates in the past.  Both reported that they earned Hilton Honors points and received stay credit.  I don’t know if this is still Hilton policy or if it was just specific hotels which decided to do this, but it would be an extra boost if you got points.

If you looking for hotel day rooms, there are other specialist sites available.  I once used between9and5.com and paid £59 for the Mercure hotel in Kensington – that amusing story is here.

BA launches Nashville - Avios seats now available - and adds other US flights
What are the best hotel promos at present?

Comments

1. David S says:

Is this just a UK thing since they don’t offer it in Qatar for our upcoming long layover. Booked into Crowne Plaza which offered reasonable day rate.

• A day rate of 199 QAR is available at the Doubletree Doha tomorrow. 10am-4pm only, that’s US$9 per hour…

2. Presumably you get full status benefits – e.g. lounge access as Diamond?

3. Hingeless says:

I once had the need for a day hotel in Abu Dhabi as we where in transit, it worked out cheaper to book a nights accommodation at the Sofitel and hope that we could get a very early check in with platinum status. It worked very well, we checked in at 8am, had breakfast due to lounge access, used the lounge again in the evening, a cocktail in the bar with the drinks voucher, and then checked out just after midnight. We got points for the stay (but no stay credit).

• Why no stay credit, wasn’t it a regular night just with a rather early check-out?

• Barry cutters says:

Surely that’s a bit risky . They could have said no rooms available till 12, or even 10am is still 2h wait

• Unless hotels are massively full, they’ll usually manage to find a room for someone with status. I’ve stayed in a few Hiltons in the US where I’ve turned up at 9am after an overnight flight and had no problem checking in. On the odd occasion when there wasn’t a room immediately, they gave me a voucher for coffee and sent me to sit down for half an hour while it was prepared.

• Michael Jennings says:

And even if you don’t have status, it’s still normally fine. Show up looking exhausted, say you have just arrived on a plane or train, smile politely, and if a room is already made up most hotels will normally give it to you. There’s a risk, sure, but in a good hotel the staff will normally be nice to you.

• Hingeless says:

Not risky if you know the hotels had lots of rooms available, low prices are a give away.

Not sure why no stay credit, but I want bothered at the time as I had already achieved plat status for the following year.

4. I’ve booked a few in London over past 6 months – some are reasonable, some are expensive, but as Diamond I’ve had points, lounge access and stay credits.

5. I’ve booked day rooms at Hilton’s a few times in the past. A couple of times at least 7 years ago to renew my Gold status – I checked in, went up to the room, came back down and used express checkout. I received stay credit.

The last time was about 18 months ago in Berlin. I was stuck there for the day on the way back from the UAE when my flight to London was cancelled – I booked a day room at the Waldorf Astoria for €65 and received stay credit.

6. RussellH says:

We took a room for a day at the CP Heathrow just under two years ago – we needed somewhere to crash after an overnight MIA-LHR flight in Y. The Marriott on Bath Road also offered this, but had a later check-in time and was more expensive.

The CP’s day-rate is a qualifying rate for IHG points – we checked in advance because my partner needed a stay for her then Accelerate offer.

7. Simon Schus says:

I tried booking a day room with Hilton in London recently, and it offered me cash rates but I couldn’t get it to offer a points rate (not even by using the cash and points slider).

8. windchaser says:

I booked a day rate at the Hilton Helsinki Airport in June and not only did I receive points and stay credit, it also triggered the Avios 2000 points per stay promotion.

9. Graeme Price says:

I booked a day-use King room for a long layover at the Hilton Helsinki Airport last month for €59.
    As Hilton Gold, I received an upgrade to the Executive floor, with lounge access.
    The room was available between 09:00 to 18:00
    I also received full stay credit as well as the Hilton bonus promotion points.