GOOD DEAL: Get 18,000 Avios for £146 – minimal effort required!

EDIT: this deal is now dead as the bonus has been cut to 9,000 Avios

I’ve written before about the generous deal between AerClub, the new Aer Lingus Avios-based frequent flyer scheme, and Ireland’s Irish Independent / Sunday Independent newspapers.

The deal has now got even better and you do not need to live in Ireland to take part.

You don’t even need to have an AerClub account.  The Avios can be dropped into a British Airways or avios.com account instead.

What is the deal?

You will earn 18,000 Avios points when you take out a DIGITAL subscription to the Irish Independent or Sunday Independent newspapers for €160 (£146).

This works out at 0.81p per Avios if you use a credit card with 0% FX fees.  If you use a card with a 3% FX fee the cost rises to 0.83p per Avios.

You can sign up via this website here.  At no point during the sign-up process are you asked for your home address, so you don’t need to be concerned about living outside Ireland.

Sunday Independent

This is a new deal.  You could previously only subscribe for home delivery.

If you live in Ireland, you may find the physical bundles to be more valuable.  These allow you to order a physical home-delivered copy of the Irish Independent and Sunday Independent every day for six months for €349 and earn 30,000 Avios on top.  If you don’t live in Ireland, or don’t have a relative who wants some free newspapers, the new digital offer is more suitable.

Note that you will need to cancel your subscription before it expires otherwise it will roll over.

Is 0.81p per Avios a good deal?

Yes.  It is difficult to lose money redeeming Avios for flights on this basis.

This is my general ‘what is an Avios point worth?’ article.  You’ll see that you should be getting well over 1p per point in most redemption scenarios.

Of course, if you are would actually read the digital newspapers then it is a very good deal indeed!

Irish Independent digital offer

How do you get your Avios?

The process is explained on this page of avios.com, which has not yet been updated to reflect the new digital package.

You will be sent a voucher code by email – a reader in the comments section was told it would arrive within 21 days.  You head to the Avios voucher redemption website here, select which programme you want to drop the Avios into and then input your code.  Easy!

The offer runs until 30th November.  The sign-up page is here.

REMINDER: Get exclusive benefits on luxury hotel bookings via Head for Points
A great Marriott family redemption - Domes of Elounda, Crete

Comments

1. Can you do this multiple times, I’ve been offered €400 or 40,000 avios from BA, I may as well take the money and buy these subscriptions if possible to keep repurchasing.

• Sure, if you use different emails and cover your tracks

• the real harry1 says:

I think you would need to use different names/ Avios a/c numbers/ details – see ‘This offer is valid for new subscribers to INM only.’

perfectly possible, though

2. Sadly though I still can’t seem to make this work for someone I know who is now in a UK prison and would dearly love to receive a daily newspaper (which his family seem quite incapable of setting up for him and/or are perhaps not wanting to pay for) of almost any kind. Prisoners in the prison concerned can receive a daily newspaper from a regular newsagent that is local to the prison.

And I presume the physical newspaper can still only be retrieved in conjunction with an address in the Irish Republic?

He would in any case have preferred a UK newspaper but if I could have bought this number of Avios at this reasonable price and he could have received a physical daily newspaper in to the bargain it would still have seemed like a possible option.

• In case its not obvious I should have added that prisoners in UK prisons do not have internet access of any kind but can receive items in the post and can also make monitored outgoing phone calls of up to 10 minutes at a time.

• Maybe prison should be for reflection and not for reading newspapers

• Guys – far from taking any stance – maybe cut Julian some slack. He’s simply being friendly and decent to someone enduring much tougher times than the rest of us (for whatever reason).

• the real harry1 says:

well – yes – but it was pretty obvious from the get go that you can’t normally get Irish newspapers delivered dailyt to the UK

so Julian is guilty of various things, certainly including ingenuousness

• the real harry1 says:

would it be helpful to list some of the other things?

• the real harry1 says:

1. ingenuousness
            2. friendly with a crim
            3. “sadly” – boo hoo hoo – ah, at least you sort of tried
            4. “dearly” – you want to persuade us he wants to rehabilitate through newspapers – but is probably already on the cannabinoids
            5. your heart bleeds, provided you can get some Avios out of it
            6. I do good – I’m a do-gooder by nature

• Irish Independent, and pretty much every other major European newspaper, are freely available within 10 minutes walk of my Zone 1 front door!

3. Cancellations
    In order for a recurring payment from an account to be cancelled it should be applied for by calling customer service on 1890 130 130 at least 5 working days before your next bill is due.

Can you call that number from outside Ireland?

• What is the recurring payment method? If its credit or debit card then you can always use a card that will have expired by the time the renewal comes around a year hence from now. Of course if its only direct debit then that isn’t possible and you will have to remember to cancel in time.

• You can cancel immediately for next year. This is something I learnt years ago. No-one ever has a rule that you can only cancel a recurring payment 1 week / 2 weeks / 4 weeks before it is due.

• Julian, remember you can cancel a direct debit with your bank directly, online, and so that would be more convenient than having to contact them.

• My question was easy, Is that number reachable from outside Ie?
          I would have no problem in calling them (not the first time I had to cancel something over the phone) but having to fly to Ireland is obviously not an option.

• You can use skype. It will cost you a little bit but probably still cheaper than calling from your mobile phone.

However, as Clive mentioned, canceling the direct debit at your bank or card issuer should be easy (that’s what I would do).

• Beppo, here’s another easy question for you – can you give an example of a number which is not reachable from abroad?

• Either where I grew up or I leave these days those toll-free numbers are not always reachable from abroad (and they always map with a number to be dialled from abroad. I have no clue how things work in Ireland.

• In the past it was possible for them to debit the replacement card with a recurring card payment set up on the old one, I don’t know if that’s changed?

• Indeed – I would be very wary – even if the card account is closed the card company may honour it and chase you up. I certainly wouldn’t rely on a card expiry date.

4. How are most people paying….Lloyds Avios……Curve ?

• Going to go with the Amex Gold. I know I’ll get the 2.99% FX fee but I have a minimum 1.75p value per Avios so with double MR points on non-Sterling transactions, it works for me 🙂

• Premgenius says:

Only Visa & Mastercard sadly no AMEX

• You can’t. Only Visa and Mastercard are available as payment options.

• I’m interested in hearing how you get to your 1.75p value per avios. I’ll sell you some for 1.25p?

• Off-peak RFS from LCY 😉 For instance the last return I booked was £179; paid 8000 avios + £35. So 179-35= 144/8000= 0.018
          And not interested at 1.25p, sorry!

• Not considered in that calculation is the number of avios you would have earned if a cash ticket was purchased.

• @Sunny M which wouldn’t rock the boat too much in terms of the numbers. Assuming Isa would pay that for cash and there are no good alternatives around / LCY is very convenient etc, it’s a very good use of avios.

I wouldn’t necessarily value avios that that. If so, paying 3% on Amex Gold foreign spend would yield 2 avios (2 x 1.75 = 3.5p) so would in theory be a good deal (but those avios can be picked up much more cheaply!).

• Not considered in this example is that the cash price was for HBO and that on that specific outbound, I would have paid the £10 or so to pick a seat as far forward as possible (not bothered about the return flight). The reason in this specific case is that said outbound is the 7am to ZRH, which is a packed full E170, lands out in the sticks in ZRH (E gates) and I have a train to catch from Zurich HB 1 hour after landing…..

And yep, LCY is very convenient – 10 to 15 minutes cab ride away so I usually leave home 1 hour before my flight.

• @ Isa Good luck in making it. It normally takes me just over an hour from landing to get to Tiefenbrunnen on S-bahn.

• Thanks, I’ve been doing this for several years ( for the bobsleigh & skeleton world cup in St. Moritz) and I usually get to HB between 30 to 45 minutes after landing. Worst case, the next train is 1 hour later so not a disaster…

• It’s simple enough to get 5+ppa value but that doesn’t make me any more likely to pay you 0.5ppa 🙂

• No idea why you would pay the 1.5p for an Avios point with the Amex Gold unless you really don’t have any other point opportunities available, I will also sell points at 1.25p which is cheaper than your 1.5p you would be paying.

• On a related topic-does anybody know how to cancel the subscription to the travel magazine that paid 4,500 for subscription? I think it’s the Sunday Times magazine. I signed up but can find no record of the transaction so cannot work out how to cancel! Thanks

• Email sundaytimestravel@servicehelpline.co.uk
        I did this morning to cancel mine and got an automated reply saying that they were experiencing a higher than expected volume of emails and that it may take them more than the normal 48h to respond.
        I’ve cancelled the DD anyway

• They recently changed management of the product so had a transition period where they couldn’t process anything. That has now been resolved – my request from 07/08 was resolved on 17/08.

• Thanks!

5. the real harry1 says:

0.81p is fair, particularly if it helps you reach a target/ redemption

it does highlight just how good the Avios + Money option can be on BAEC

I’ve been getting 20K Avios for £160 for the last few bookings

just out of interest I put in LHR-LAX Economy and the table shows
    16250 Avios + £ 260.77
    13000 Avios + £ 290.77
    10550 Avios + £ 310.77
    8150 Avios + £ 325.77
    6500 Avios + £ 335.77
    5700 Avios + £ 340.77
    so if you went for the 5700 option, you’d be ‘paying’ 0.76p/ point to get back 10550 Avios

in Business you get
    62500 Avios + £ 388.77
    56250 Avios + £ 513.77
    46900 Avios + £ 678.77
    37500 Avios + £ 838.77
    35000 Avios + £ 903.77
    31250 Avios + £ 953.77
    so if you went for 31250, that’d be 1.8p – obviously all rubbish options compared to Economy

PE works out better:
    32500 Avios + £ 338.77
    26000 Avios + £ 393.77
    22750 Avios + £ 418.77
    19500 Avios + £ 443.77
    16250 Avios + £ 468.77
    13000 Avios + £ 488.77
    here the 13000 option = 0.77p/ point to get back 19500, rather good – in fact the £150 is money better spent than my £160 to get 20K Avios

not being a LH expert, can you buy PE on Avios then upgrade to Club? with money &/or points?

as always, check the math

• Surely the real price of the Avios is the difference between no Avios and £. Your examples show exploiting the difference between varying amounts of Avios.

• Yes Harry it would’ve be good if you had listed the cash only price on the breakdown too, because that seems like the default. 🙂

• the real harry1 says:

bit late for that as I lost the date, it was early 2018

not sure it matters as looking at typical prices, they look horrendous, presumably because of 1-way, eg
          Economy £1685
          PE £2489
          Business £7713

so you’d never use your own money instead, anyway, if you enough points for a redemption

• the real harry1 says:

if you’ve got the Avios already, not using them & paying part Money instead gives exactly the same effect as buying them (& no 3% FX fee 🙂 )

no tier points or Avios earned, of course

• …but so does not using any of them. Not using half of them gives the same effect as buying half of them and not using any of them gives the same effect as buying them all – that would be the more interesting benchmark.

• And of course factoring the Avios you’d earn on a cash booking, particularly if you have status and get more, and the value of the TP to you if you’re looking to maintain status.

• There is another point I think you are all missing here…cancelling cash and avios bookings is a disaster so the method is best avoided unless the trip is a certainty. Much better to buy the avios at 0.81 and have what is almost a fully refundable ticket.

• There’s also a point here that you’re missing. (Sorry, couldn’t resist!)
            This is NOT ‘cash and avios’. This is ‘points plus money’. And with this, there is no ‘issue’ with refunds.

• the real harry1 says:

yep & it gets me 160,000 Avios pa @ 0.8p, not to be sneezed at 🙂

6. Could people please report back if this offer works well for them? I’m a bit hesitant after an Economist one where the avios didn’t turn up for months.

• I did the paper offer previously. Points didn’t post so I had to email them. Posted them same day.

7. As before, I’m happy to provide the postal addresses of (willing) friends in Ireland – if anyone wants to take up the physical paper offer. sohanlon2 (at) yahoo.co.uk

8. Interesting line in one of the Ts & Cs from the website
    >>The Avios voucher must be claimed online at http://www.aviosvouchers.com/avios by 23.59 on the 30th June 2017.<<

9. I tried calling the number on Skype (+353 1890 130 130) to cancel the recurring payment and it said it’s not in service. Am I doing something wrong?

10. Do you know how long it’ll take to receive the Avios email? I’ve had the email to confirm payment but not the avios code. Thanks

• I’m wondering the same thing.

I got two email from “Reach Home Delivery” as soon as I paid, but nothing yet for the Avios voucher.

11. How do I cancel the automatic renewal of the subscription?

Also waiting for the email with the Avios voucher.

12. Renwaldo says:

If anyone doesn’t want to read the digital version, or if anyone needs an address in Ireland for the physical delivery of the paper, my M-I-L would be delighted to receive either. Please pop me an e-mail at alexrennie1 (at) hotmail (dot) com and I would be forever grateful 🙂

13. OT:
    Can anyone provide the link to amex live chat, I can’t find it anywhere. Thx

• There’s no link per se. Just login to your Amex account and click the chat button at the bottom right, or if it doesn’t appear click ‘contact us’ at the top left.

• RussellH says:

I find that chat does not work (no button ever appears) with Firefox if you have security add-ons such as Ghostery and Adblock Plus installed, even if you temporarily de-activate them. It only seems to function from a clean install (actually of Pale Monn rather than Firefox, technically) with no added security….

Hmmmm….

• Simon Schus says:

I wrote a letter complaining to AMEX about the chat service – I’ve had poor functionality and the service has been very slow, with next-to-no resolution of my queries. They replied with a nondescript letter saying they were sorry that I’ve had problems, that it was a ‘business decision’ to close the previous messaging system that they used, and that there had been no mishandling of my queries after looking through the chat history (nonsense: I had to school the chatroom representatives in some of the benefits, some didn’t even show up, and I’ve stopped with it entirely).

• RussellH says:

Agreed.

I was singularly unimpressed with it earlier today. Very slow and I had to explain things more than once, then hang around while he ‘checked things’.

Finally – after 20 mins he told me that the telephone section wanted to talk to me about cancelling my PRG Amex before the £140 fee kicked in.

I was thinking that perhaps they might make me an offer to hang on to the card, so I did phone up, but that was not at its best either. The first attempt kept me waiting for over 8 mins, then cut me off, the second attempt got its knickers in a twist when I tried to hurry things along a bit. Finally got through to a human being at the third attempt, but no offer forthcoming – she just wanted to remind me of all the extras on the card, which, of course, thanks to this site, I knew at least as much about as she did. She said that she ahs cancelled the card, but online it looks just the same as before. If I do not get the cancellation letter next week, I shall have to go back to them again…

• The_real_a says:

The best strategy IMO is to ask for what you want. Don’t leave it upto them to work it out. If you want adouble points offer. Ask. If you want a spend target offer. Ask.

• Wally1976 says:

I’m also a bit disgruntled with the chat service and have told them so. I find it’s best to get on first thing in the morning or late at night and insist on what you want. I asked to cancel a card and got “please phone as we would like to discuss this with you” to which I replied that I didn’t want to call and please just go ahead and cancel it and then they did :-).

14. Amex Platypus says:

There’s €29.92 VAT on this. I wonder if you could call them to get this refunded, if you have a business with a UK-registered VAT number.

• Why would a UK vat registration help with another country’s tax? Surely you’d need to register in Ireland too if you wanted to do that?

• Because VAT works across EU. If you provide your UK VAT number then an EU company can zero rate the VAT as long as they are sending the product outside of that EU country.

They may have issue with that though as they might be targeting this offer to Irish residents, so refuse.

• Is this a ‘good’ or a ‘service’ for VAT purposes? I guess ‘service’. Makes a difference to the VAT paperwork.

• Lady London says:

It’s called “reverse VAT” and applies across Europe for services, not goods. Lot of exceptions for vendor or service type, though

• They can’t really refuse their legal obligations to their accounting and VAT based on who they had intended a particular offer to apply to, they could however cancel your order.