Bits: double Avios on Kaligo hotel bookings, Hyatt double points promo, last day for ‘buy Avios’ bonus

News in brief:

Double Avios on Kaligo.com hotel bookings

Hotel booking site Kaligo.com has been fairly quiet on the promotional front recently.

They now have a new offer available:

You will receive double Avios – up to 40 per £1 but usually less – on all bookings made by 31st December 2017

The stay must be completed by 30th March 2018

If you live outside the UK, you will get a further 25% Avios bonus if you pay with a BA non-UK credit card from Royal Bank of Canada, Russian Standard Bank, ABSA Bank, First Carribean Bank, Butterfield, Dah Sing Bank, Commercial Bank of Kuwait, EnterCard, CornerCard

Full details can be found here.  This is a special booking page for the deal.

Like similar sites such as PointsHound and Rocketmiles, hotel bookings via Kaligo.com are treated as non-qualifying stays.  This means that you won’t receive any points in Hilton Honors, IHG Rewards Club etc or, most of the time, receive any status benefits due to you.  Marriott is the only major chain to give status benefits – but not points – on indirect bookings.

Assuming there is no price difference, this offer is best used when staying at a hotel outside one of the major chains.

Kaligo 350 2

New World of Hyatt double points promotion

World of Hyatt has launched a new promotion covering the six week period until the end of the year.

You will earn double base points for every stay completed between 15th November and 31st December, although registration will end on 30th November.

Note the strict eligibility rules.  Only stays booked online at hyatt.com or via the Hyatt app will count.  Stays booked by other channels, even if they are direct (ie ringing the hotel or a Hyatt call centre) will not count.

Full details and registration can be found here.

Last day for 50% ‘buy Avios’ bonus

A reminder that the 50% ‘buy Avios’ bonus which has been running this week ends at midnight.

The ba.com page to buy if you are interested is here.

The pros and cons of purchasing were discussed in my article earlier in the week.

Has the Lloyds Avios Rewards credit card suffered a major data breach?
Is the Avios Multi-Currency Cash Passport worth a look?

Comments

1. There’s only one reason I can think of for the cashpassport type card and, admittedly, it’s a bit niche. My son who is at school in NZ has one onto which I load his pocket money from the UK; the hard ceiling limit aids discipline and his being under 18 prevents other credit card options. That said his sister had a supplementary CC on my account when she was there, thanks to a fortuitous slip of the mouse at the DOB drop-down stage of the application form.

• I think you meant to comment on the other article 😉 In case you don’t see the comment I left on it though, I think the Revolut card would be preferable in this situation – still a hard limit, but much cheaper/easier to run! Monzo also a good option but not sure if them moving to a bank account means they’ll now have a minimum age of 18 for the card – may still be an option though.

2. Eric the half a bee says:

O/T – Just noticed a message on the IHG app notifying if a new benefit for Spire Members of guaranteed 10 am check-in:

We know that when you’re busy traveling, every second of down time is precious. That’s why we’re making check-in times as early as 10am for Spire Elite members like you.

Just update your stay preference for an early arrival when you book a room or call ahead to the front desk and we’ll take care of it for you.

It’s just one of the ways Spire Elite members can get more out of every trip.

3. the real harry1 says:

yep I think my son might be 18 rather than 17 next time I need a supp on Plat 🙂

Dad, son #1, two guests: son #2 & daughter all 4 get into lounge

with the MR points, I make that 26 free lounge passes (Xmas, Easter, May/June half term, summer hols out)

• Not a good idea. When he applies for say a student current account, pay TV, mobile on his own this slip may become apparent. Something called National Hunter.

• Stuart_f says:

I doubt National Hunter would be involved. AMEX Supps aren’t credit checked.

• the real harry1 says:

pause for thought, certainly

• It’s about fraud avoidance, and not assessing credit worthiness.

Really bad idea to put a false DOB on an application form unless you’re certain there won’t be issues down the line. Even correcting genuine errors over DOBs or middle names can be a nightmare.

4. OT re Marriott Platinum challenge. Someone earlier this month said that points stays contribute towards the 9 stays in 90 days challenge for Plat. When I called to sign up for it, the lady repeated that it was paid stays only about 7 times in a 20 second call.

Not sure who’s wrong yet!

And is there a way I can search for the cheapest Marriott in a certain area over multiple days? Will need to do a mattress run or two for this!

5. OT – last month there was 4500 ba avios for German resident to join Executive Club. Has anyone got it?

6. OT – I’ve just had all of my IHG Accelerate challenges track correctly, within 3 days of each transaction days INCLUDING the get the IHG credit card which tracked the day after the card was delivered.

I think I might do the lottery tomorrow.

7. O/T Trying to follow the instructions in previous article re. dummy transfer from MR to open Eurostar Freq. Traveller account. When I search for Eurostar, all I get is the option to buy the ticket outright using 15k/30k points rather than to transfer to an EFT account. What am I missing? Thanks in advance

8. Can anyone explain how exactly double Avios works with Kaligo promotion? Here’s what I see as an example:

Dublin, Ireland, 12-16 Feb 2018, The Fleet Street Hotel. I select Economy Double/Twin that earns 12150 Avios for €124 per night. The total cost will be €539,72 and as I can see it will earn 8100 Avios plus 4050 bonus Avios.

So, where exactly will 2x Avios will be applied? On 8100? Or on total of 12150?

I also send an e-mail to Kaligo, waiting for their reply, but I thought I’d also ask here. Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend!

• Odd, because I would expect the 8,100 to be doubled?

• Email Sebastian the owner directly…in fact he’s probably reading these comments. Usually does when go promotes kaligo. My hotel l was Looking at def had double. Maybe some hotels don’t participate.

9. O/T can anyone please tell me when in the month Starwood points are transferred over from the Starwood Amex? Statement was issued yesterday but no movement yet

10. the real harry1 says:

ker-ching

another free £16 (off £80 @ Tesco) hits the Amazon balance 🙂

11. the real harry1 says:

O/T hat-tip DelTroon

In the latest edition of the BA magazine Up to Speed: “British Airways will be changing the way it boards aircraft with the introduction of group boarding in December. This method has been used all around the world by many airlines and aligns BA with partners American Airlines and Iberia. Group boarding simplifies the process, making it easier for customers to understand the boarding sequence at the gate.

At the check-in stage, the customer will be put into a group number dependant on their cabin of travel and frequent-flyer status. This number will then be displayed prominently on the boarding pass, printed or mobile. Customers who are entitled will continue to be offered priority boarding for both long-haul and short-haul domestic.”

• the real harry1 says:

hat-tip Can I help you

On Long haul
      Group 1 will be Gold/Emerald/First.
      Group 2 will be Silver/Sapphire/Club.
      Group 3 will be Bronze/Ruby/Premium Economy.
      Groups 4 and 5 will be economy.

On Short haul
      Group 1 will be Gold/Emerald/Club Europe.
      Group 2 will be Silver/Sapphire.
      Group 3 will be Bronze/Ruby.
      Group 4 is Economy.
      Group 5 is Economy customers who have purchased a hand baggage only fare.

• A question of great importance – where do Avios redemptions sit in these?

Will redemptions get a one group relegation? Will 2-4-1s get another one group drop?

• the real harry1 says:

just put in your British Airways Executive Club number on Manage My Booking

• Sussex bantam says:

Hoo…bloody…ray

• the real harry1 says:

surely:dependent?

12. Hmmn…this was tried , can’t remember where we were, Shambles! Full flight, all of us at gate. group 1 clled forwards, surge of folk, not checked going through door, onto a BUS!. Thus, all groups mixed up on buses to plane. As a group 1 pax, not impressed, and i saw folk clutching passes blatantly not showing Group 1. New boarding still allows for folk to clutter up the aisles slowly stowing overhead bags a nd hindering those getting to seats further down fhe plane..
    However, trial and error etc etc

• the real harry1 says:

on my flights to place in the sun half the good folk don’t speak English so naturally just want to board ASAP

flight boarding gets called & they surge to the front (BA), despite cheap seats, no status

rarely are they sent back to their proper place in the queue, they just get allowed to board

personally I think you must have a broom up your jacksy if you let this ‘irregularity’ bother you – we as Brits might queue & board in turn etc, other cultures don’t have the same mentality – and they’re not wrong or worse because of this

13. How many NowTV boxes have others bought successfully?

I’ve bought 2 + 2 so far, worried that buying any more will flag my account up. Is this fair or can I buy more?

• the real harry1 says:

you can probably buy a few more

think about the math, though

Ebay 10%
      PayPal 3.4% + 20p
      packaging
      postage
      hassle/ negative feedback when the cheats hit you

• @trh1, the boxes I got were a little older so only £2 each at CEX.

@N, I got 7 in my own name, a lot more spread across household. There is a risk my points may be witbdrawn though.

• I’ve split the boxes into

Power supply
        Box
        Remote
        Pack voucher
        Sky voucher

I’ve already made back 60% of my outlay and of the 20 tems I’ve sold 10 of them.