Bits: Nutmeg / Avios deal for existing clients, 20% off National Express, up to 4800 Avios with LEGO

News in brief:

Avios bonus from Nutmeg for existing customers

Last Monday we wrote about the very lucrative offer of up to 50,000 Avios from Nutmeg if you open an ISA or SIPP with them.

You can read more about that offer in this article.  You still have a couple of weeks to sign up.

If you are an existing Nutmeg customer from before 1st November, there is a separate offer if you choose to top up your existing investment.

You will receive 10,000 Avios for every £10,000 you transfer (ISA or pension transfer only) into your account.  You can earn up to 100,000 Avios!  You can transfer ISAs, SIPPs, personal pensions and most workplace pensions to Nutmeg, so long as they are not in drawdown.  They cannot cannot accept transfers of defined benefit / final salary pensions.

This top-up offer ends on 22nd December.  Full details are on the Nutmeg website here.  If you did not receive an email from them about this offer, possibly because of your marketing preferences, I would contact them first to confirm your eligibility.

Remember, as with all investing, that your capital is at risk. The value of your portfolio with Nutmeg can go down as well as up and you may get back less than you invest.  ISA and pension rules apply.

20% off National Express for HSBC customers

National Express is offering 20% off its standard fares to HSBC customers (no validation required) via this link.

You need to book by 21st December.  The Heathrow Hotel Hoppa services are not included and other restrictions apply, see the link for details.

We covered the newly expanded National Express loyalty scheme in this article in September.

Up to 4,800 Avios or 5,000 Virgin miles with LEGO

In case you missed this on Shopper Points yesterday, Tesco Direct is running a generous LEGO promotion again.

Until 17th December you will get

• 500 extra Clubcard points (1,200 Avios) when you spend £30+
  • 1,000 extra Clubcard points (2,400 Avios) when you spend £60+
  • 2,000 extra Clubcard points (4,800 Avios) when you spend £120+

Included in this offer are 335 boxes of LEGO – enough to find the right present for everyone.   Full details are in this Shopper Points article.

BA closes OpenSkies from Paris, launches LEVEL - use Avios to Martinique and Guadeloupe
Avios Ireland: Triple Avios in AerClub with SuperValu!

Comments

1. OT Rob any thoughts on the 500 points offer on Avios for joining Bud?

• Scottydogg says:

I signed up for that , don’t really like the look of the site and probably wont use it unless it improves , hopefully the 500 avios post

2. National Express has a loyalty scheme? I missed your original article but I see it typically gives you a 10% return or up to 20% if you book singles (and in theory you could use 10 short trips to get a free long distance assuming you can cope with a coach long distance).

It’s still not enough to tempt me on a coach though!

When we noticed NX on VS Shops Away we made this rather tongue in cheek article to show how you’d get more miles on a coach than a Virgin train http://saveecrewards.co.uk/news/love-flying-club-take-coach

Now we hear Virgin Trains East Coast are having their franchise terminated early (2020 rather than 2023) and so they get out of paying £2bn to the government – it looks like it was a massive mistake privatising a route that offered good service, decent prices and had the best loyalty scheme around.

• With 60 miles earnt, it’s jot going to take you far hehe

• No-one pays full price for National Express.

There’s perpetually 10% cashback by paying using a BoS or Halifax Visa Card. It may well even be layerable with the HSBC offer.

Last time I tried to take a coach was at Crianlarich after a walk along the WHW, every single one was full of pensioners on their free bus passes. We gave up and “phoned a friend” to come and get us.

The proposal for the ECML is changing completely. I’ve heard that Hamza & Nicola are spitting feathers about taking the line between Aberdeen & Berwick out of Scotrail control – so it can’t be a bad plan!

3. Nutmeg offer won’t get much takeup, existing customers will know how crap their return is.

4. OT: Does anyone have any experience with how quickly the Hilton Honors Gold status comes through from spending £10K on the Honors Visa? Just parted with enough corporation tax to put me over the spending threshold, and I’ve got a couple of stays later this month.

• Changed the same week for me.

• On a slightly similar note, does anyone have any experience what happens in this scenario. If you are currently diamond but won’t reach it again for next year and hit the 10k spend this year so they just put you down to gold in April ? Or would you have to chase them to do it as they may ignore given current status is higher ? If this makes sense!

• Mine updated within the week too.

5. Shame Nutmeg doesn’t allow cash transfers. I would gladly transfer £100k into a cash ISA and then withdraw it a few days later for 100k of Avios.

6. OT: Shop small
    Not sure if just us but this year not working as smoothly as previously.
    Yesterday on chat Amex confirmed that all my purchases are eligible apart from one shop that even though it is on the map, because they used a different card system will not be eligible. I complained as how am I supposed to know- I went to a store on the map and paid by Amex. They said they will look into it.

This morning across our 4 cards only 5 credits are showing. And when we used different cards at the same shop, the £5 is showing on one card but not on others.

Anyone else having issues?

• On Sat we did 6 transactions across 2 shops. Got 4 emails from one shop and none from the other shop. All 4 credits have posted today for the ones we got the emails but not the other 2 – so far anyway – and it is on the map and I have used it the past 2 years. Really hope I don’t have to fight for all the ones I haven’t received emails on as it is most of them. As you say – not as smooth as before.

• I have been the same Liz, Only received emails from my 1st 5 cards at one shop. Used another 8 cards in another resteraunt and no emails!

• Ant
      I found last year that it was only my purchases at a retailer using the iZettle card reader (which looks a bit like a bank security pinpad) that did not trigger the statement credit. If you look at your statement it will show something like Iz* and then the retailer name. iZettle work as a payment intermediary like PayPal. It’s not always immediately clear if a retailer is using iZettle as these devices could be out of view when you are at the till.

This retailer was on the ShopSmall map, and I did not receive the credit across 2 cards (PRGC and an MBNA issued one) but after contact with the issuers the credits were manually.

Although previous comments have said this year AmEx are being more difficult about giving out manual statement credits, because they are on the map I think you should be able to successfully argue that they should be giving you the credit!!

• I used it in 3 stores on Saturday and have 3 x £5 listed under the “Redeemed Tab” on the Amex Dashboard – but they haven’t been credited yet. I’m guessing it’s just a matter of time.

All were contactless payments – no emails received.

• rams1981 says:

What’s the story with shops which have the shop small sticker, take Amex but aren’t on the Amex interactive map? Amex online chat tell me they’ve not enrolled in the offer so it doesn’t count. How can that be?

• the real harry1 says:

there’s no need to use the Shop Small map – it’s not afaik – one of the T&Cs

let’s say you know about Shop Small because you got the email – you enrolled your card – you are out shopping, see the promotional stuff in a store and use the card

what could be more natural? of course Amex owe you £5

• Plus the map is so useless! Was trying it in Glasgow today, even on 4G it would barely load.

• Scallder says:

Yes having similar problems. Made 8 transactions at a butcher’s on Saturday and no credits yet showing, and then Oyster top ups at 5 different shops on Monday (4 of which would only let me do one payment on an Amex out of my 5 cards) and the only credit I have to date is from one of the transactions on Monday.

Called Amex today and they said to call back if credits haven’t hit in 7 days, but that if they’re there on the map then will get the credits. The woman I spoke to said that i’d be getting the credits all ok as long as the emails were coming through, but then said that the emails weren’t coming through which seemed to puzzle her a bit…

Mentioned that 1 shop listed doesn’t take Amex so couldn’t spend in there, as well as one shop where I did one transaction on Amex but after the guy refused to serve me again on an Amex, for which not being able to use my other 4 cards they’ve given me a £20 statement credit.

• Online chat have clearly been briefed not to give out credits easily, too. Took me ages to get one of the two credits I’m owed this morning. Fobbed me off on the second and I’d lost the will to argue.

• Scottydogg says:

Ive used it twice and only got the 1 email so far so i contacted Amex . live chat took a long waiting time which ive not had before , they said that the payment was eligible and that i should wait 5 to 7 days for the credit to go on the account , hope they are right

• Sussex Bantam says:

Rob – do you have any Amex contacts which you could use to let know about the dissatisfaction with the removal of the email system ? They should know that it is being recognized as a real degradation in service. I’ve tried to do it myself but there is no obvious route to provide this feedback

• Sussex Bantam says:

LOL – I just logged on to chat to try and do that myself and was told the next customer care professional will be available in approximately 180 minutes !!

• Have had this before but the estimates are often wildly inaccurate – I went away to get some food for 20 min, came back to messages saying ‘hello’ and then chat closed! Tried again and ’60 min wait’ was answered in about 5 min!

• No, if I’m honest. I only link into what they like to call ‘digital acquisition’.

7. Actually some good deals in the Lego Tesco offer this time around! Easy 2400 points, as it stacked with their 1/3 off offers. Thanks 🙂

• You can get upto 2000 bonus points per order, so you are probably best to split your order into 3 or 4 separate ones of £120/£120/£120/£40 (or up this last one to £60, for another 1k bonus)

• Sorry, I’ve just realised you meant you’ve got 2,400 Avios, with a £60 spend.

I thought you meant you had got 2,400 Clubcard points (and therefore had spent £400).

8. Cuchulain says:

Rob,
    National Express offer only seems to work for next fortnight for a LHR T5 to LGW S return….

9. Scottydogg says:

With regards to the Lego , i ordered Lego last time this deal was on with the plan of selling it , i got it delivered to store and then for one reason or another i never got round to picking it up so the order just got sent back but i still got all the avios points ! result
    Might try this tactic again

• Ooo, nice tip. Might put a few more orders in and try this myself.

• I’d be very careful doing this, remember the article a few weeks ago about fraud.

• Genghis says:

Playing by the rules by ordering lego and not collecting it. Is that fraud? Is churning Amex cards fraud or just playing by the rules but taking advantage?
          [Tesco’s control environment is shoddy]

• the real harry1 says:

ordering Lego & not collecting it is patently NOT fraud lol 🙂

• Not fraud. I take it Tesco refunded the money but didn’t withdraw the Clubcard points?

10. thehornets says:

O/T Have just applied for another Amex Gold. Does anyone have any recent experience of how long it will take for the card to arrive and/or how long it will take for referral points to appear on my wife’s account?

Thanks!

• Referred my other half for a gold from my plat recently – points posted the day her card arrived, which was two or three days after she applied (think we did the referral over the weekend).

• Referral points usually post within 2-3 days of card being approved.

11. Roger C says:

O/T – Shop Small
    Going well with my cards on Oyster until TfL stopped two of my Oyster cards!

I rang up, but they were adamant that my ‘unusual’ purchasing broke their rules. The best they would offer is to pass it to the ‘Investigation Team’ with a view to refunding the stored money (and the deposits for the cards). All very well, but if the payments are reversed, then presumably I’ll lose the £5 credits.

I’m beyond angry at TfL – I can see that they might flag up the behaviour many of us will do doing as unusual, but it’s not as if there’s not a perfectly sensible explanation.

In future, I guess the trick is to stock up on Oyster cards, then use only one Amex card on each of them.

• This happened to me last year (on 5 cards bought as a single batch). Process was painful but I explained what I was doing, and was able to prove all the purchases were “genuine” by providing statements.
      In the end they just provided a refund to my bank account, which was clearly a good outcome – albeit i would rather have just been able to use the Oyster cards given the hassle!

This year have been buying Oyster cards one at a time to hopefully prevent this….

• Hi, what’s the deal with TfL/Oyster? Do the TfL machines participate in Small Shop, or do you need to buy or top-up Oyster cards in participating shops?