New Avios flight finder tool – pick a date, see what cities are available

Award Map 2

American Airlines recently launched a new interactive map to help people find reward seats. It is pretty effective and it would be good to see British Airways launch something similar.  Until they do, though, you will find that the AA version still does the job […]

Few Avios, little tax – the new Stuttgart / Vienna to Abu Dhabi airberlin routes

airberlin

If you are heading to the United States or the Middle East, airberlin is an excellent option.  You will minimise your taxes and, in some cases, the Avios spent. I wrote a long overview of airberlin in this Avios Redemption University article.  I recommend that […]

Etihad Guest now offering 200 miles per HolidayCheck review you write

Etihad

Back in February, I posted about Etihad becoming the latest airline to partner with HolidayCheck.  This is a site which offers airline miles in return for reviewing hotels on their website. It seems that, in an attempt to compete with TripAdvisor, HolidayCheck needs to offer […]

airberlin now offering oneworld status via credit card spend – would a UK credit card do this?

airberlin

This isn’t a post you can take advantage of, unless you live in Germany or Austria, but it is another example of how the credit card industry is shaping the loyalty business. airberlin is now giving status miles when you spend on their branded Visa […]

airberlin completes the roll-out of its fully flat business class seats

airberlin

Head for Points is a big fan of redeeming Avios on airberlin, having done two JFK – Germany flights last year in business class for just £1 of tax (reviews here and here). If you look at my two reviews, you will see that the […]

Why the growth of oneworld means you’ve never had it so good

OneWorld

As I wrote on Thursday, SriLankan Airlines is now a full member of the oneworld alliance.  This means that you can use it to book redemption seats using Avios points. It is not uncommon on Head for Points and elsewhere to complain about changes to […]

Etihad to raise its stake in airberlin to 49% – to leave oneworld?

Air Berlin

At some point today, airberlin is likely to confirm to the German stock market that Etihad is raising its stake in the airline from 30% to 49.9%. More importantly, the airline is to delist from the market.  The remaining 50.1% will be held by a […]

New low-tax Avios redemptions to the Caribbean with airberlin

Air Berlin

airberlin – the best place to turn for low tax Avios redemptions – has added some new Caribbean options for Winter 2014. As per my Avios Redemption University article on airberlin, you should be able to book a business class flight on these routes for […]

One of the best Avios redemptions gets twice as easy to find!

airberlin Gold

airberlin announced on Tuesday that they are doubling the frequency of their Berlin to Abu Dhabi service.  There will now be two flights per day between the two cities. On the face of it, this is relatively dull news.  If you know your Avios, though, […]

2013 in review – Part 1 – Travel highlights and the best promotions revisited

Calendar

Over the next three days, I am going to take a look back at some of the trends and highlights from 2013.  I will kick off today with some of my own travel highlights and a recap of some of the better promotions of the […]

Interesting anomalies in Avios reward pricing you can exploit – more examples!

Qatar distance map

Last week, I ran this post which touched on interesting Avios redemption opportunities which are disproportionately ‘cheap’.  This is because they fall right on the edge of an Avios pricing band.  Dublin to Boston, for example, is 2,993 miles and so is available at the cheaper […]

airberlin launches more US services – great for low-tax Avios redemptions

Air Berlin

I am a strong supporter of redeeming your Avios points on airberlin.  I have flown them twice from New York to Berlin one-way this year in Business Class, for a grand total of £1 in taxes (plus 40,000 Avios).  You can check out my reviews […]

Avios Redemption University – Lesson 8 – Lowering taxes by redeeming on airberlin

Avios Redemption University

(EDIT:  This article was updated in June 2014) The “Avios Redemption University” series is a good starting point for beginners, although I hope everyone will learn something from them.  Click here to see the other articles. Since airberlin joined the oneworld airline alliance in March 2012, […]