Virgin Money

BOOK NOW: Miami wide open for Avios redemptions from November due to new flight

Last year, American Airlines announced that it was swapping one its two daily Heathrow to Miami services with British Airways from late 2018.

We are seeing more of this behaviour going on recently.  Virgin Atlantic and Delta, its major shareholder, have also been swapping US routes.  It makes sense when the traffic flow is mainly one way (more UK residents visit Florida than Florida residents visit the UK) to use the ‘local’ brand on the flight.  Because the airlines pool revenue on these services, neither is worse off and both benefit if the combined group gains market share.

British Airways has just opened up booking for this new 3rd-daily Miami service.

Two Club World seats and four World Traveller seats are available on every service.  Only a handful have been nabbed so far!

British Airways Avios availability to Miami

Here are the details:

Service starts 28th October 2018

Aircraft type is a Boeing 747, so there is the option of the Upper Deck if you are in Club World

Outbound will be BA211, leaving at 16.05 and arriving at 20.55

The return will be BA210, leaving at 23.20 and arriving in London at 12.40 next day (23.40 – 13.00 on some days)

If you fancy a trip to Miami for Christmas or New Year, for the Spring, for February half term or for Easter 2019, get booking now at ba.com.

TRAVEL CARD REVIEWS: Is WeSwap, the crowdfunded prepaid card, worth a look?
NEW PARTNER: Get up to 100,000 Avios from Citigold Wealth Management

Comments

1. Gav Lar says:

Is it not the case that 2 First class reward seats are also made available on every flight ? We’ve just booked 2 Club World seats to San Francisco next year but really want to do First. The fact there never seems to be any common availability for First class reward seats made me think we were just too slow in checking and they all get booked up really fast.

• Kinkell says:

No. 2x CW and 4xET. However BA may well include F for redemption on some routes and also depends on how seats are selling. Some routes don’t have F cabins. I like F for a daytime flight but am more than happy to go upper deck on a 747 .

• No. The guarantee is that 2 CW and 4 Eco open up 355 days before departure.

Even when F seats are made available, it tends to be later in the day. Same with World Traveller Plus.

2. Does anyone know how many avios is required to go from LHR to MIA?

3. Curse you HFP (and you Rob), that’s three flights booked for the family to MIA for Feb bank holiday next year, god I hope I’ve got the dates right when I casually mention this to the wife later…

• Polly says:

Keep us posted on your domestic drama! Great you got the flights tho..

• There’s no Bank Holiday in February, hope you mean half term ????

• Yes, half term. oops..
        Just had a quick look and cash price for the three of us would have been £8.8k, so a 2-4-1 (my first ever) and 275k points and £1.6k in tax/fees so a happy return and a happy wife.

Just need to take advantage of a marriott travel package that I have, any one got any recommendations in Miami ?

• Scallder says:

Ade – can’t recommend any hotels I’m afraid but I would suggest looking at the Residence Inn brand for 3 of you – quite often you can book 1 bedroom suites which will have a sofa bed as the second bed and rooms are usually a lot larger than at some brands and rooms have a kitchenette so I’ve found very good for family travel, so if you’re happy going for that type of accommodation can be a very good use of a travel package – they’re often lower categories too so cheaper, and also provide free breakfast every day.

• Mark Priest says:

Did you manage to book 3CW?

I was looking for easter but it would have had to been 2xCW and 1x Economy.

and could only book monday to friday, all seats on the first and last weekend had gone. so opted for 3 x Virgin Premium in the end.

• Scallder
          Thanks, I’ll look into that.

Mark
          Yes, bagged 3CW out and back. I’d jumped in and booked on a bit of whim (having read the article), But when I sat down to arrange seats etc.. last night I note we are on the A380 both ways, so not the additional flights mentioned in the article. It may be a the case that the half terms in Wales are +/- a week to the majority, but we fly out on the Friday and back on the following Saturday,
          Having read all the negatives, we might turn it into a bit of a driving / exploring holiday,

• Mark Priest says:

Ade.

Don’t forget to look at the option of a cruise round the Caribbean

Arriving on the Friday means you could do a 7 day Saturday – Saturday or you could get a 4 or 5 day too.

Can thoroughly recommend it and Royal Caribbean.

4. Pareet Shah says:

By chance my 241 voucher activated this morning and I logged on and was so surprised to find availability (I had been looking for a couple of weeks!) immediately booked 2 x business return over next Easter! I love this website!!! Thanks Rob and everyone 🙂

5. Andrew says:

And remember MIA is from LHR T3, so you can use the execllent CX and QF Lounges.

6. I’ve never been more disappointed by anywhere than Miami unless you include Key West.

• I am guessing you haven’t been to Doncaster

• The Big Lebowski says:

Or Swindon.

• Lady London says:

Doesn’t Miami airport have a bit of a reputation for being a horrible horrible airport to land in? Long immigration queues etc…

• You know that’s close to Rob’s old stomping ground? 😀

But yes South Beach and the Art Deco district are fine for an afternoon before a flight back to the UK, but never really seen the appeal of it as a multi day destination, so many more nicer places in FL to visit.

• david says:

Heading into the famous graffiti area of Miami I shocked to see a pretty rough ghetto. Women offering themselves at 2pm and guys openly smoking from crack pipes. Never let it put you off going to Florida though because from Clearwater, Tampa, Orlando (there is so many things to do outside the parks). Ventura, Fort Lauderdale, Naples. Sarasota beaches. Florida has a lot to offer and cheaper than many think. I despise the theme parks so I would know a thing or two about enjoying it on the cheap. All the best.

• Spent a few fairly unhappy hours in the Frenchgate Centre ….

• Kipto says:

Agreed. Way over-rated.

• Key west was like Magaluf / Cavos except the people were all in their 40s / 50s.

I like the gulf coast, naples is nice

• Doug M says:

I’m with you, gulf coast is lovely, prefer farther north, St. Petes Beach up to Clearwater. Miami rather dull, poser clubs, crowded overpriced bars and restaurants. Good for 2 days. Keys very scenic, but Key West expensive and frankly little more than a collection of bars, all of which were the one (really) Hemingway drunk in.

• Lady London says:

7. As usual no availability out of Gatwick for someone travelling from Glasgow on this latest Wrinkle by BA to add a Miami Flight all I get as a single traveller, is error ,error on this Miami deal BA is the “Pits ” for Single travellers,.I only use Miami to get to Ft Lauderdale otheriwse I agree it is the “Pits” to travel to . .
    Now I am facing having to cancel a December Trip already booked and deposit paid ift they BA change the Aircraft out of Gatwick to this Qatar aircraft and face downgrading from Premium Out and ClubWorld return cannot travel in Economy due to Disibility Premium is the lowest Clast outbound works with an Aisle seat,
    However require the Flat Bed on the return journey .

8. Tried to book for Christmas and Easter last night.

Not much available so booked virgin instead!

9. Grant says:

Is there any external link to the announcement? I have a booking on the AA flight (AA38) that is being cancelled in December but it is still shown as open for booking in on their website (tho not on BA’s). I obviously will need to change the flight, but if it is still shown as open for booking I don’t think they will let me – even if we know it has been cancelled.

• Lady London says:

You could just call BA and ask. They might be helpful as they will be able to see if it’s cancelled.

10. xcalx says:

St Augustine is my top pick for Florida followed by St Pete Beach, Naples, Lauderdale by the Sea and Tarpon Springs and what was Clearwater beach 25 years ago, returned last year and the place is ruined by high end jewellers and clothes shops at the start of the pier ( who buys this stuff on a beach day)

• Where would people recommend in Florida for a family?
      (Already done Disney)

• Doug M says:

Why not Orlando and pass on Disney. Easy access to both the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. Good range of inexpensive hotels, great weather. Miami not really family, Keys expensive and again not family orientated.

• Cape Canaveral

Drive through the Everglades to see the crocodiles!

• david says:

Drive down either coast. There are many state run waterparks that are excellent and a pittance to enter. Knaus Berry Farm in south. Small independent zoos with hands on interactions. Check out the lake swimming near Orlando/Tampa. Timed right you can swim with manatee’s. The theme parks are excellent because they suck in the people like a Mecca whilst I enjoy these surroundings areas without the abundance of people.

11. Doug M says:

Kennedy Space centre easy day trip from Orlando, as is Busch Gardens if you want a theme park. If you like beaches Gulf coast fabulous, St. Petes Beach north to Clearwater great beaches. I love the Bilmar on Treasure Island, bit motel like, but clean and located perfectly. Was there last November and loads of the rooms were gutted for a complete refurb, so must have many newish rooms. In Orlando consider the resort places, often kid friendly, play groups and organised activities, on site pools, and you can at these type of place get an apartment, so have full kitchen. Even as a typically solo traveller I love the space and facilities of an apartment, especially when it’s cleaned by someone else.