Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 31st March

Links on Head for Points may pay us an affiliate commission. A list of partners is here.

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

Historically, the daily ‘Bits’ articles were the defacto repository for random comments and questions.  It is unlikely that the news flow will be so big over the next few weeks that we will need many ‘Bits’ articles, however.

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.  At this tricky time, and given that many of you are stuck at home self-isolating, we want the HFP community to have a place to chat.

Please only comment under the main articles on the site if your comment is directly related to the topic of the article.  This has long-term benefits as its keeps the commentary relevant for people who read those articles in the future.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

We will continue to monitor how this is working:

we could potentially split it into a daily travel and non-travel chat thread

we may install some basic forum software

we may start suggesting potential topics for daily discussion

Let’s see how it goes.

We will do a separate article in a day or so about how we plan to run the site over the next few weeks.  Take care!

Comments (243)

  • Kev 85 says:

    Does payment via Apple Pay using a credit card have any impact on section 75 claims?

    I think I might have previously read that using PayPal (even if a linked credit card was used) made section 75 claims invalid

  • Craig says:


    Hi team. I’m sitting on about 150k avios with a +1 that’s been extended to October 2020.

    I’ve done at least one redemption every year for the last few, and the USA is my favourite place to redeem thanks to NYC availability. I’m super concerned with where the USA might be in regards COVID-19 compared to rest of world, and to that end am reluctant to book my redemption at this time.

    Does anyone know if I book a redemption now, for next summer, and it turns out to be unsuitable *according to MY risk profile*, what are the current terms that allow me to change?

    Many thanks, C

  • Nic says:

    Just picking up news of the Marriott data breach. Took them a month to make an incident report. Apparently NO password or credit card details exposed. We shall see.

    They will be sending out emails to affected customers from today.

    Appears login credentials of two employees at a franchise property were abused to siphon away data. They don’t share whether it was those employees themselves who performed the deed or whether they lost control of the credentials. Ah well, another day, another data breach.

    • Harry T says:

      Hasn’t been a great year for Marriott… reneging on promised soft landings, cutting back their Ambassador service, another data leak…

  • roro says:

    OT but I need some advice if possible please. Three family booked flights to Oz from UK in April . Emirates to and from and a couple of internal flights. All booked through a travel agent. Emirates cancelled their flights a couple of weeks ago. Since then travellers have been trying to get a refund. Agent just point blank refuses. Credit Note only. They ABTA backs their stance and refuse to acknowledge EU261. To run salt in the wound Credit Card compnay refuse to pay under S75 saying a credit note is sufficient. My family members have been told take the credit note or lose the lot.They are effectively being blackmailed by the agent.The are due to travel in 12 days.Could anyone tell me what the legal poisition should be and what their options might be.

    • Charlieface says:

      Send in a complaint to FOS against the credit card company for messing them around, they have a legal right to refund or reroute at their choice.
      If they want to fly, they should book with another airline, then claim back for the NEW flight direct from the airline, not through the agent. If they dig their heels, then take them to Small Claims. Equally if they want a refund, demand it.
      DO NOT take a voucher if you don’t really want it, unless you think the airline may go bust and your Small Claims will go up in smoke.
      If they hadn’t booked through an agent they could make an S75 claim to the credit card, and join them to the airline in any legal action.

      • meta says:

        Emirates will not go bust. Make a formal complaint to FOS regarding S75 refusal from credit card company. Also go straight to small claims and put the agent and the credit card company jointly on the claim! I don’t see any reason why both procedures couldn’t run at the same time.

        • roro says:

          Many thanks – I’ll pass the information on and we’ll see where we get to

        • Charlieface says:

          The argument on S75 in this case basically boils down to: is the agent keeping their contract? As far as S75 is concerned the airline is irrelevant. Does the agent HAVE to request a refund under the contract, I don’t know? Possibly, possibly not.

          • Genghis says:

            The agent has probably already requested a cash refund from the airline. The question is in what form contractually the agent must then provide a refund to OP.

  • Secret Squirrel says:

    Has anyone received sign up bonus on BAPP recently after closing free BA Amex and opening a new BAPP card account?
    I remember reading on here some reports of success of this a month or so ago!

    • Polly says:

      I got 6k bonus when l upgraded from bacc to the BAPP, now closed after banking the 241 voucher.

    • Vit says:

      Worth noting that this “not so secret” 6k avios bonus is not stated anywhere in amex website so some might not got it when upgrading. I got it but my partner didn’t. Ended up complaint to amex and was offered as a “goodwill gesture”.

  • Charlieface says:

    What do people think of the following?
    If you want to keep your Virgin miles but scared of them going bust, make a booking for say 12 months time. If you eventually need your miles, just cancel for the £35 refund. But if they go bust claim the notional value of the ticket from the credit card company. This is categorically not just taxes, it includes a notional value on the miles, for which you may have to argue an exact amount. Ideally you want the greater of an equivalent cash ticket, or the cost of buying the miles direct from Virgin, at 1.5p each plus £15 transaction charge.
    So £35 to insure your miles against bankruptcy, and you would probably end up in profit if they did go belly up.

    • TGLoyalty says:

      Its a plan.

      If you book to somewhere you actually want to go you could probably get your credit card company to pay for equivalent seats on another airline.

    • Charlieface says:

      Obvs the total notional ticket value has to be above £100 (in this case because they are one-way tickets you need each ticket to be) but the taxes by themselves do not have to be above.

      • meta says:

        Amex Plat card insurance covers bookings on miles/points if surcharges were paid on a Card. Never claimed, but I presume they would buy you a comparable ticket. So Virgin UC could be Delta/BA/AA/United business class. Also if surcharges are greater than £100, S75 rules would apply and they would have to do the same. Whether they would do it and how much you would have to fight for it is another matter.

    • Mark says:

      Interesting thought…. has anyone ever made a section 75 claim for a redemption booking? Unlike cashing out miles for Hilton points this could actually help them in the short term due their having the taxes and fees cash.

      • Charlieface says:

        Can’t think of any FOS cases of that directly but they have ruled in favour when a purchase is paid partially with a voucher (not a discount code) and I can’t see how this is different.

  • Richard Relief says:

    Oh great! The wife (or is that lover/ gay boyfriend? nobody cares – I’m not a snowflake) is on furlough, 80% salary for doing nothing the next couple months.

    • mark2 says:

      My niece’s husband is enjoying six months paternity leave on full pay including car allowance.

      • Richard Relief says:

        my wife got various tax & maternity benefits, over the years as we had our 3 kids, slightly better than UK

        the best was 12 months on full pay, luckily I had recruited her on top dollar

        I think the other 2 were about 9 months on full pay, going back a few years so I don’t have instant recall

  • Aliks says:

    Apologies if this question has already been answered – its difficult to search though the many relevant pages (and I actually read most them each day)
    I have 2 return flights to Munich in August, cash paid £128 HBO and £148 for a Standard flight. The Bayreuth festival has been cancelled so little point in going. BA are still advertising a full schedule for Munich in August, so no cancellation or voucher options yet. In fact the cash prices are now £84 and £94 respectively.
    Do I have any options apart from waiting for BA to cancel or extend the voucher period? I’m guessing travel insurance will not cover this even though the flights were booked in early December.

    • AJA says:

      No other options. You’re going to have to wait for BA to either cancel the flights or for the flights to be included in the exchange for an e-voucher scheme.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.