Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Thursday 23rd April

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/04/23/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-thursday-23rd-april/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (153)

• Kai says:

Massive IHG Pointbreaks happening in China in case anyone intends to travel there (not very soon of course!). Intercontinental and Indigo Shanghai for as low as 17500 points for example.

• Charlieface says:

Here’s hoping for EMEA to have the same

• Chrisasaurus says:

Dont hold your breath, they ain’t on the whole open and even if they were lowering prices isnt going to make their rooms and more saleable

If the CP Basingstoke has 10 rooms open you can bet your bottkm dollar theys sooner take £200 a night for 10 rooms than face the logistical nightmare, cost and risk of taking £50 a night for 40 rooms…

• Donny says:

It’s almost a month since the 2nd year charge hit my Gold AMEX card. How long it takes to receive the 10K bonus points for spending 15K as waiting to cancel it. Thanks!

• Stu N says:

Usually about 4-6 weeks. Hold tight, the bonus points are worth a lot more than a couple of months’ fee.

• Rob says:

My wife got hers on the 21st April and cut-off was 29th March IIRC.

• William Perugini says:

About AmEx and refunds/hitting yearly bonus.
    Do you think this issue might be waived somehow? My Amex Gold (I still have charge card) year begun on February and at the moment I’m due more refunds than what I’ve spent, roughly 4500£ and if I have 90% of certainty they’ll not issue any waiver, I might take this chance to switch to the gold credit card, so I get a pro rata refund for the following months plus a first free year… any opinion on this?

• Clive says:

Does Curve Hilton CC work for Premium Bonds?

• Crafty says:

I am in the process of testing this. No fee has shown yet, did the top up 4 days ago.

• MinR says:

Double points on all spend on Amex Platinum in the next 3 months. Just confirmed via chat.

Coupled with £9 per 1k MR instead of the usual £4.50, effectively 4x value if redeemed as statement credit.

• NickAnon says:

Virgin have cancelled my HKG flight (I assume anyway, not heard a thing from them) but the booking has vanished completely, and I cannot search the booking number. So I cant even apply for an open ticket. Whats going on? The text message contact number tells me to go away until 72 hours before the flight.

• Tilly says:

Hubby and I have flights to Santorini booked for a break at the end of September (CE with companion voucher), not booked accommodation yet. Bambino is now 10 weeks old, not got a passport yet and not added to our flight booking either – I believe this is easy to do and not expensive as travelling as a lap infant rather than needing a seat. Wondering what to do in the current situation. If we weren’t in the midst of a worldwide pandemic I’d have applied for a passport and booked baby onto our flight by now. Travel insurance said they’ll cover hubby and I if we need to cancel trip due to covid-19 (If we get no joy from BA) but not baby as aging them to the booking would be after 13th March.

Would you bother getting passport now and booking baby onto flight? Or just decide now the trip will need to be cancelled as it’s unlikely it’ll be safe to travel in September? Or wait it out a little longer to see how things are in a few months?

WWYD?

TIA

• Spk says:

Get the passport for the baby irrespective of travel plans.
      The other major problem might be any quarantine measures the destination country might impose.

• Scallder says:

+1 for getting the passport. I’m fairly confident that with BA you can book a lap infant on with fairly short notice, so maybe just wait it out.

Costs for lap infants aren’t that much, so in the round, you wouldn’t be losing too much even if you did it now. But probably worth waiting.

• Genghis says:

10% of avios and it seems 10% of actual taxes (not RFS). Ie we went to LGW-AMS, AMS-LCY with a lap infant and paid 800 avios and £5.28.

• Charlieface says:

It’s not 10% of taxes per se, it’s whatever gov taxes are applicable (usually very little) plus the YQ surcharge, which is 10%

• Lady London says:

Good time for getting it as Passport Office won’t be too busy.

I’m never sure how often the picture on a baby passport needs to be updated? Children change so rapidly. Do you have to pay every time you update the picture?

• Genghis says:

My son’s passport is valid for 5 years. In his pic he has his eyes closed and looks nothing like he does now.

• Crafty says:

They normally laugh at my daughter’s photo, taken when she was 6 weeks old, and wave her through. However one particular agent at one particular airport did warn me we ought to buy a new passport because she doesn’t resemble her photo.

We haven’t done so. I’m ready to argue the point.

• Anna says:

5 years but it’s more than half the price of an adult passport, kids are expensive! And yes for most of their childhood they look nothing like their photo.

• Tilly says:

Thanks everyone. I’ll get on with the passport application then although no idea how or who can get her photo verified and signed as everyone is locked down. May need to wait to send it off.

That’ll be cheap if/when we do add her then. We did get RFS for our flights.

• Nadeshka says:

Verification can all be done remotely, in fact that’s the default. We did our daughters last summer and as we are both British citizens very straightforward, the person is sent an email link and fills in a few details.
        They are actually confirming they know you rather than the baby so don’t even need to have met little one (very helpful right now!).

• Anna says:

Tilly are you saying you would be travelling with no insurance for the baby? I know it’s unlikely but if she did contract COVID-19 you wouldn’t be covered for repatriation in the event she needed to be flown home for treatment, and possibly other types of care under the EHIC scheme. Who is the insurer? Our policies have always given cover for dependents under 18 and we don’t have to name them on the policy.

• Tilly says:

Anna the baby has been added to our family travel insurance policy. I meant that if we had to cancel the holiday because of covid then the cost of her flight wouldn’t be covered because it was booked after 13th March. Definitely wouldn’t travel without her covered.

• Matt says:

Good morning friends. A comment and a question please.
    Firstly, like many, I was a waiting a refund from a 241 booking in F to Seattle. Cancelled 4 weeks and decided to give it that time until chasing. I send a message on the dedicated You First page on the BA website. Good news – a personal and sincere email response the next day promising the refund would follow 4 days later – and it did! Give it a try.

Quick question. Bit confused about this but if I downgrade my Premium BA Amex to the bog standard one do my companion vouchers disappear or get cancelled? Thanks all.