Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Thursday 23rd April

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/04/23/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-thursday-23rd-april/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (153)

• Steve says:

Advice please.

I have a Budget/Avis car hire booking for later in the year in the US (fingers crossed). It’s officially with Budget but they seem to operate as one on the ground.

The booking email is all in GBP, despite me choosing to pay on site, not in advance. Does anyone know how they convert that when it comes to paying for the hire? There is no mention of a USD amount in my booking.

• marcw says:

in the US, I think Avis and Budget operate separately. Well, that has been my experience in JFK, LAX, BWI and LAS. They use different facilites.

You will be charged in USD, based on the original booking. Have you looked deep deep in your booking to see the price in USD?

• Clive says:

Does it also quote an underlying rate in local currency so the sterling amount is an estimate?

• Steve says:

Nothing of the sort, looked in all aspects of the booking (both the booking email and in manage my booking) and mention anywhere of an FX rate or USD amount. I too thought that would be the case, but it’s not there. Anyone experienced this before?

• Peter Taysum says:

What happened with Curve and AmEx? And are people aware for a limited time Curve are letting you go back in time for 90 days?

Sorry if there been loads on this already, I’m on nights so tired….

Peter

• Kev 85 says:

Not travel related but I’m starting to hear from a few people about companies furloughing employees but then asking them to carry on working as normal/still giving them work….

• Freddy says:

It’s what employers call a Brucie bonus! They can be reported

• Rob says:

Not exactly surprising.

Law is very clear. You cannot even open work email.

• shhhh says:

But they are at it! make no mistake, its being done where I work!

• Lady London says:

The costs of this in to the taxpayer are massive so anyone in that’s cheating will hopefully be informed on and punished because they’re ripping us all off

• Anna says:

There are going to be people abusing this and other financial help schemes left, right and centre. It always amazes me how naive the people who are tasked with running the country are about human nature.

• Charlieface says:

They are not naive. They do this and worse themselves.

• Doug M says:

Just had the Curve approval thing for the first. Was using Curve on a website and the app on Android phone (Galaxy S10) worked flawlessly.

• marcw says:

Interesting…

Virgin Atlantic Owes Delta $200 Million, Won’t Receive Cash From U.S. Shareholder

(IF) So taxpayers money will go straight to Delta. Interesting.

forbes.com/sites/willhorton1/2020/04/23/virgin-atlantic-owes-delta-200-million-wont-receive-cash-from-us-shareholder/#27d2a7a230d2

• Cal says:

Almost 100% Delta care more about Virgin’s Atlantic survival than immediately demanding the $200 million be paid to them. I imagine that as part of VS’s application for the government loans they have already managed to defer those payments.

• Green Plastic says:

I don’t have a Curve card yet but just want to check before I apply… if you buy 50k Premium Bonds with Curve and IHG Premium is the underlying card, do you get the 100k IHG points? Or is it not that easy? 🙂

• stevenhp1987 says:

Subject to your Curve card limits.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Yes, but if its a new curve card you will need to build up a transaction history before they will let you start spending thousands. My limit is 5k a day but I’ve had my card 2x years.
      2x ihg points per £1 on the premium card (if you’ve already have it) as now not taking new applicants.

• Nick_C says:

YOLT (account aggregation software) is now supporting Amex again (using APIs).

• Stanley says:

Admiral Car Insurance giving all policy holders £25 back, due to fall in claims during lockdown. Fabulous gesture… £110m total. Well done them

• Crafty says:

Or is it an attempt to reassure the lazy, who don’t want to do the maths on whether they ought to cancel their second car for a few months, that they’re “getting something back” and so need not bother?

It’s worked on my sister and her husband, anyway…