Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Friday 24th April

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/04/24/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-friday-24th-april/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (345)

• Baji Nahid says:

Phoned up Virgin Atlantic to transfer my points to IHG and im now getting told that I need to book a hotel with IHG with points for me to then get the virgin points transferred over to my IHG account.

• Secret Squirrel says:

That definitely does not sound right. You can only book an ihg hotel if you already have the points in your account or pay cash?
      I would call up again and see what the next agent states.

• Rob says:

Eh?!

Hang up and call again!

• Rich E says:

Can I use my BA voucher to pay for taxes on a future Avios flight?

• Algor says:

Yes, you need to do it over the phone …

I’ve been trying to speak with someone for days, current setup allows you to chose options by pressing “x” and then “y” only to hear recorded message they are sorry and cut you off.

Same setup on multiple contact number, it is a joke!

• Anna says:

Is it a pure cash voucher? I did this last week, I just had to reply to the email they sent me and they credited the money back to my credit card in about 5 days.

• Qwertyknowsbest says:

Anna, sorry not clear on the context here. Are you saying accept a BA voucher then it can retuned for a refund?

Thanks for your help.

• Anna says:

The voucher can either replace an award flight, in which case it can only be redeemed against another award flight, or it can be a cash credit from a cancelled BA holiday booking, which can be used towards any new booking. So I had a £700 credit from a car hire booking and I used it towards the surcharges on my new flights for 2021.

• Am says:

Any article on curve yet? Seems like it is a new service while before it wasn’t really allowed. But charging 1.5% fee for paying a credit card with another credit card. Not sure if even allowed.

• Chef says:

Just made a purchase off Ernie and don’t appeared to have been charged a fee.

• jc says:

MCC 6012 (banks / finance) + HMRC have been enabled so far. The rest of 9399 (government) hasn’t, yet, but will be.

• Kev 85 says:

Sorry to hear that.

Female life expectancy in the U.K. is 84 though, not 69.

• Somepeoplearesodumb says:

Can we keep this thread going until topping up national savings and investments with a credit card fronted by card curve is also stopped?
    In case anyone is confused all this talk of government bank is ns&i and also any mention of seagulls or Brighton refers to paying of Amex bill in the same way.
    So, open yourself a national savings and investment account – pay 1000s in and then withdraw it 7 days later. Any questions just ask.
    Have a nice weekend!

• Secret Squirrel says:

Great one, anyone lurking from institutions now are fully aware KH!

• JImbob says:

I think if I can work it out, then those in the relevant financial institutions have known it about it for a while.
        Pile in while you can, other opportunities will open up.

• Martyn Ford says:

Lovely to think that these little codes might make a difference. I just put £3,400 through without a problem or charge.

• Crafty says:

Stopped for me some time last night. My wife’s also doesn’t work as of this morning (hers was never likely to work, as her Curve app has updated to include Fronted). I think the party is either over, as it is for us, or imminently over.

• sprout says:

Was OK for me 20 mins ago. Had to drop the amount though.

• Bentoni says:

Not working for me anymore. Just tried it and instead of saying Curve Fronted, I get insufficient fund notification.

• Mac D says:

So Branson is trying to sell his stake in Virgin, be interested to know how this works out