The new HFP chat thread – Friday 24th April

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/04/24/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-friday-24th-april/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

'My Favourite Hotel' review: the luxury Belmond Andean Explorer train in Peru
American Express Platinum card giving DOUBLE points on all spending until 20th July!

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. illuminatus says:

Can you still top up r4volut with HS8C Prem free of charge?

• Not directly. They charge a cash advance fee. Not sure if this is the case if you were to route through Curve though 🤔

2. On the plus side, The Langley has moved my points stay to August, in the event that domestic travel is back on by then!

• Peter K says:

That’s at least one positive!

• And I’ve just discovered Coconut and Lime gin from Aldi is really quite nice. If I close my eyes I could be in the Caribbean instead of my back garden 😂

• Michael C says:

Result for the late b-day, Anna!
          Will give the gin a bash. “Ver Viola” from Oxford is my latest fave!

• Freddy says:

If you do get there I bet the socially distant spa treatment will be delightful. The meal in the restaurant – any more wine madam. Yes please, okay it’s just over there, once you done with it please wipe down with a dettol wipe and please put your mask back on as soon as possible

• George K says:

Hi Anna – how did you approach this? Did you call the hotel directly or through Marriott? I’ve got a big points booking for July and if travel is still off by then, I’ll need to move it too..

• TGLoyalty says:

The hotel will contact you closer to the date of the stay if they are still closed.

• Yes – they emailed me a couple of days ago asking if I wanted to cancel or postpone. I didn’t want to cancel outright as I would have to pay double the number of points for a new booking.

3. I have just received an email which shows a full refund for my Jet2 flight they had cancelled. I will be happy when the money is in my account but looks promising.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Bet Rob is already writing the article on Curve for tomorrow.
      Will it hit 1K comments?

• Freddy says:

There’s nothing better than a hfp doom and gloom article with outrage and shock from all along with the same question in the comments repeated over and over

• To be honest, I have no idea who was charging and who wasn’t. We never plugged Curve on the back of using it pay cards anyway, and I never ever got it to work with Amex (but I have one of the old weird legacy cards).

• Peter K says:

As much as anything, I bet curve has done this now as all the HMRC payments it hoped to get in July from self employed payments will not be forthcoming.

4. I just made a student loan repayment with Curve and no charge was levied, for anyone else who’s interested in whether that type of payment has been caught up in Curve’s latest changes.

• Secret Squirrel says:

If I read correct, if you attempt to make a payment to merchant on their financial code list you get a message come up advising you of 1.5% fee chargeable.
      I do not understand why some get this msg and you didn’t?

• Harry T says:

I’ve tried today. Got the Curve Fronted notification for attempting to pay seagulls but not for investing in the government bank.

• Doug M says:

Just the usual flakey IT?

• I don’t know. I’m not someone who often uses Curve to pay a CC bill so I don’t even know what the notification would look like if they tried to hit me with the 1.5%, but nothing came up and I checked the final amount in the app against the amount I’d entered to pay and it matched up. Maybe it’s dodgy IT meaning that some of these are still getting through or maybe Curve aren’t charging for absolutely all of these types of payment yet. I guess we’ll find out definitively soon.

• Bigmaggot says:

Just did premium bonds, no charge!

• Do you have personal or commercial cards?

I tried Amex with my Commercial and it didn’t work.

Might it also be relevant if the App has been updated to enable Curve Fronted?

• Bigmaggot says:

Commercial

• Crafty says:

I’ve just managed to get a few NS&I payments through over the last 15 minutes, and literally just now the final one has declined as they’ve indicated. At least I managed a bit first…

• Oh no, in that case I might need to send @Harry T an invoice for 20,000 Honors points.

• Harry T says:

@BJ I did reply to say that it had worked for me with my bank deposits but not seagull payments.

5. Curve are now advertising paying your credit cards with a credit card as a benefit, rather than it not really being allowed before.

I’ve noticed that Curve metal is now just mobile phone insurance and not “gadget insurance”, if my digital camera was insured I might have went back for metal.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Can anyone confirm Re: Curve.
      Is it only trying to pay seagulls that you get the 1.5% fee message pop up or does this pop up also trying to pay NS I?

• Why don’t you try it and report back?

Definitely Amex is showing the fee with my Commercial card and updated App.

• Harry T says:

Decided to see what happened. Paying seagulls = advised to turn on Curve Fronted (has never happened before). Being a good little saver with the national bank = no mention of Curve Fronted, business as usual. Underlying card – IHG white.

• Harry T commented earlier that the government bank now attracts the 1.5% too.

• For the lovely Gov bank, how long before you can transfer out, and what is considered a reasonable amount not to upset Shachar nor Mr Sunak?

• 7 days.

• Five figures per month and no problems for me. However, I’ve seen a comment indicating that a reader has been asked about source of funds etc.

• Harry T says:

@BJ how do you split that up? Do you withdraw all deposits at the same time?

6. Baji Nahid says:

Phoned up Virgin Atlantic to transfer my points to IHG and im now getting told that I need to book a hotel with IHG with points for me to then get the virgin points transferred over to my IHG account.

• Secret Squirrel says:

That definitely does not sound right. You can only book an ihg hotel if you already have the points in your account or pay cash?
      I would call up again and see what the next agent states.

• Eh?!

Hang up and call again!

7. Rich E says:

Can I use my BA voucher to pay for taxes on a future Avios flight?

• Yes, you need to do it over the phone …

I’ve been trying to speak with someone for days, current setup allows you to chose options by pressing “x” and then “y” only to hear recorded message they are sorry and cut you off.

Same setup on multiple contact number, it is a joke!

• Is it a pure cash voucher? I did this last week, I just had to reply to the email they sent me and they credited the money back to my credit card in about 5 days.

• Qwertyknowsbest says:

Anna, sorry not clear on the context here. Are you saying accept a BA voucher then it can retuned for a refund?

Thanks for your help.

• The voucher can either replace an award flight, in which case it can only be redeemed against another award flight, or it can be a cash credit from a cancelled BA holiday booking, which can be used towards any new booking. So I had a £700 credit from a car hire booking and I used it towards the surcharges on my new flights for 2021.

8. Any article on curve yet? Seems like it is a new service while before it wasn’t really allowed. But charging 1.5% fee for paying a credit card with another credit card. Not sure if even allowed.

• Just made a purchase off Ernie and don’t appeared to have been charged a fee.

• MCC 6012 (banks / finance) + HMRC have been enabled so far. The rest of 9399 (government) hasn’t, yet, but will be.

9. Kev 85 says:

Sorry to hear that.

Female life expectancy in the U.K. is 84 though, not 69.

10. Somepeoplearesodumb says:

Can we keep this thread going until topping up national savings and investments with a credit card fronted by card curve is also stopped?
    In case anyone is confused all this talk of government bank is ns&i and also any mention of seagulls or Brighton refers to paying of Amex bill in the same way.
    So, open yourself a national savings and investment account – pay 1000s in and then withdraw it 7 days later. Any questions just ask.
    Have a nice weekend!

• Secret Squirrel says:

Great one, anyone lurking from institutions now are fully aware KH!

• JImbob says:

I think if I can work it out, then those in the relevant financial institutions have known it about it for a while.
        Pile in while you can, other opportunities will open up.

• Martyn Ford says:

Lovely to think that these little codes might make a difference. I just put £3,400 through without a problem or charge.

• Crafty says:

Stopped for me some time last night. My wife’s also doesn’t work as of this morning (hers was never likely to work, as her Curve app has updated to include Fronted). I think the party is either over, as it is for us, or imminently over.

• sprout says:

Was OK for me 20 mins ago. Had to drop the amount though.

• Bentoni says:

Not working for me anymore. Just tried it and instead of saying Curve Fronted, I get insufficient fund notification.

11. So Branson is trying to sell his stake in Virgin, be interested to know how this works out