The new HFP chat thread – Saturday 25th April

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/04/25/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-25th-april/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

'My Favourite Hotel' review - The Peabody hotel in Memphis, Tennessee
BrewDog's 'Speedbird 100' British Airways beer now available for home delivery!

Double Rewards
AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Kev 85 says:

I wonder what people who were around during world wars would make of people complaining about being bored because they have to stay at home for a few weeks?

❄️

• Peter North says:

Tomorrow in another splash the Home Secretary will announce a dramatic reduction in football hooliganism and bar fights.

• Harry T says:

I actually think lockdown isn’t a big deal at all, I just miss the travelling.

• Jill (Kinkell) says:

It’s not causing us much angst. We have a large…huge..garden and live in the country. Weather has been great so far. . Miss various activities,though ( bridge, orchestra, gym) but on the whole we are better off than most. Like you, miss the travelling …… trip to Tesco is my highlight !

• +1, I don’t mind being at home but I feel lost not being able to plan anything!

• Chrish says:

Anna, How can you say you miss not being able to plan anything !
            You can plan “Loads” just not able to do what you plan 🙂

• Agree, the planning is a lot of fun. We have Malaysia booked from bel in Nov and torn whether to forward plan flights etc within the trip. But hopefully there will be some let up by then.

And now we have Bill Gates offering to fund the vaccine worldwide if Oxford comes up with it. Nothing from Bezos

• Shops, bars etc didn’t close! Lots of places, inc The Ritz, noting that they never shut during two wars but had to shut for this.

2. It’s been reported that Wizz Air is re-starting flights from Luton airport to various European destinations including Tenerife from May 1st. I don’t understand how they plan to get around the various entry restrictions though?

3. Voltron says:

Anybody know if MCC 6211 will be charged 1.5% by curve?

• Secret Squirrel says:

How are you guys finding out the current financial Merchant codes? I’m interested researching merchants codes used before pushing the button.

• Travel Strong says:

Trial and error. Small test transaction and look to see what happens. All card app’s at least tell you the long description, and that can be looked up against the MCC lists.

• Voltron says:

It comes up on the internet banking website for virgin when pending, then also shows in the virgin app once posted, not sure for other cards

4. Baji Nahid says:

Anyone with LNER Vouchers, I just messaged the twitter team and what they done was they consolidated my vouchers into 1 and extended the validity of it till December 2021! hope it helps!

5. Just collecting opinions… I have the Miles & More credit card for a year now but I don’t think it justifies its fee and it’s also the fact that no supplementary cardholder is allowed (not good when missus goes for shopping!)

I am thinking of cancelling, especially as I only have around 30k miles.

What are your thoughts?

• Peter K says:

My thought is be careful about miles expiry and if they will expire if your don’t put monthly spend through the card then spend them before cancelling!

• I would find a redemption you want (presumably one-way business class) and then get up to that level. If you’re not getting a long-haul premium cabin flight out of it you will struggle to get any value.

• TGLoyalty says:

Why not give your partner a curve card linked to the mastercard?

6. Green Plastic says:

Hi all, couple of quick questions about Vanguard / Curve. Is Vanguard the same MCC as HL? If you make a deposit into Vanguard and withdraw it a week or so later, are Vanguard ok with this / has anyone experienced any problems? Many thanks

• Secret Squirrel says:

HL?

• Spaghetti Town says:

Not sure. I’ve only paid in to Vanguard and that money will stay there for quite a long time. Don’t do it too much otherwise it’s suspicious. I paid into Vanguard with virgin as the underlying card with no issues.

7. FloriGuy says:

Does anyone think it matters whether one uses a Commercial or Personal Curve Card? I am self-employed so the App pushes you towards commercal at the Sign up page

• If you’re going for Metal then go for Personal, then at least Curve aren’t making as much out of you as they would be from Commercial given there is no fee/subscription discount for those of us with Commercial cards. Plus, its kinder to merchants if you care about that sort of thing.

• FloriGuy says:

This is what I don’t understand – I thought that both were a debit card so no interchange fee (other than the fixed trasnaction charge). What difference does it make to the merchant?

I don’t understand the fee/subscription discount issue?

• Fees on commercial cards are not capped.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Someone yesterday posted in chat they knew someone who had been asked for source of funds documents from NS&I.
          Do we know how much & at what frequencies they were pushing through?

8. Baji Nahid says:

Vrigin Atlantic moves towards collapsing by the end of may.

I dont know if im allowed to link the article here? Its in the Telegraph

According to the Telegraph:
    “ Sir Richard Branson is seeking a buyer for Virgin Atlantic and has set an end-of-May deadline to save the airline from collapse after a taxpayer bailout proved beyond his reach.

The Sunday Telegraph has learnt that the pursuit of a £500m government package has been effectively shelved and that the airline is now focused on securing new private investment in the shadow of potential insolvency.”

“ Those interested in rescuing Virgin Atlantic are understood to include Lansdowne Partners, the hedge fund founded by George Osborne’s best man Peter Davies, Singapore sovereign wealth fund Temasek and Northill Capital, the fund that is backed by Italian-born Swiss Ernesto Bertarelli.”