Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Saturday 25th April

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/04/25/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-25th-april/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (251)

• J says:

I think I’ve read previously that if you move to Curve Metal from Curve Black Legacy, you are not then able to downgrade back to Legacy. Is this correct? It is the only thing stopping me from moving onto Metal right now.

• Grant says:

Also my understanding and also what is adding to my reluctance to go metal

• Rts says:

May I ask what benefit does one have on black legacy?

• John says:

No ongoing fee

• Peter K says:

Cash-o-backo from certain stores on top of usual points/miles. Permanently. Usually stores that accept Amex as well, but with the dearth of sign-up bonuses now it’s looking better than before.

• TGLoyalty says:

In my Experian e that bit shouldn’t change and if it does they will put you back.

But yes no going back to fee free.

• Ammar says:

ot- my mum has 2000 mr points on her Amex Gold – looking to close her card. ANy clever options to leverage these for anything good. she is part of a household account with emirates skywards so was thinking of transferring there for ease but was not sure if they will come in the household balance or her personal balance of airmiles – anyone have any idea? or any better ways to use 2k MR points?
    Thanks

• Ali says:

in the daily thread – nothing is OT 😉
      Getting gift cards is a waste as would translate to not so much – but you can have a look.
      I personally would have transferred to my Hilton portfolio but skywards should be ok too. Emirates points system isnt very talked about here so guessing it may not be the most rewarding.
      unless someone else knows better

• Ammar says:

Thanks. Yeah if I could have got 0.9p like with the platinum would have paid off the bill. Skywards may be useful if I build up a stash for some arsenal tickets maybe!

• Rob says:

It’s not that its not worthwhile, but the sweet spots are very specific. We generally assume that if anyone want to go to, say, Vietnam then they can quickly wizz through the reward charts of all the Amex airline partners and see what is cheapest. It is very much route by route unfortunately, hence sweet spots like the 90k return Business Class Istanbul to Singapore redemptions on Singapore Airlines, purely driven by how SQ shows Turkey on their chart.

• BJ says:

You can get 1p: MR – nectar – await double value redemption at Sainsbury, ebay or LNER.

• John says:

NS&I still works with curve for me. I’m not withdrawing the money for years though.

• Anne says:

Vanguard just worked for me as well – after getting the new Curve fronted message when I tried Brighton.

• Spaghetti Town says:

What message is there when paying Brighton? will be paying my bill after payday.

• Anne says:

You get a notification telling you to switch on Curve fronted to complete the transaction, this I assume will then ask you to agree to the 1.5% fee but I backed out of it before then and the payment didn’t go through. Was helpful though as at least I knew what to watch for when I tried Vanguard.

• Spaghetti Town says:

Oh dam. That’s the end of that train then. It was fun while it lasted. Vanguard worked fine for me the other day.

Now curve’s on apple pay, i’ll have to try topping up freetrade and trading 212 with it.

• Adnan says:

*rushes to invest 50k in and get those sweet virgin miles*

• Sloth says:

LNER Vouchers… I have a fair few from converting nectar points last year, currently expiring end of this year. Does anyone have an knowledge/experience as to whether they may extend them as I’m not sure how much chance I will get to use them now before the end of the year.

• BJ says:

I raised this issue with Save East Coast Rewards earlier in the week. He has heard nothing about extensions. I plan to raise the issue directly with LNER but did not get around to it yet. Would ve good if they started receiving multiple enquiries…

• Baji Nahid says:

Agreed! I will write to LNER and let them see what they say!

• Baji Nahid says:

Check my last message on this forum!

• Sloth says:

Thanks I saw that and sent a tweet, managed to get them extended for 12 months from now. Not as good as you but better than nth.

• Harry T says:

Has anyone decided to get Curve Metal then? Wondering what people reckon the break even point is?

Guess it would be sub optimal if Virgin or Creation starting blocking Curve after you had paid the £150 annual fee for Curve Metal.

• Bentoni says:

I mostly use the Curve card with the IHG Premium card, so I would need to spend ~£1875 a month to break even.

Now that I cannot use my card to pay council tax, I have abandoned the Curve card completely.

• Stephan says:

It’s a good deal for me. I initially opted for metal in part due to the gadget insurance which I used to pay Vodafone £12/month for, and which covers an extra device too.

The extra IHG points I’m capable of earning on Metal alongside the fact that it makes it easier to earn the IHG free night certificate every year might have swayed me anyway.

Less prospect of travel means the lounge benefit is useful too as I’ll probably cancel Amex Plat for quite some time.

There’s also the sheer giggle factor of pulling out a shiny pink metal card…

• Freddy says:

I’ve used curve with virgin card so not committing to the metal card yet in light of the virgin bailout issue

• Secret Squirrel says:

@Harry T:
      Yesterday made some calculations based on annual fees and benefits. It still comes out a winner for me so when its required will be upgrading.
      Pay annual fee upfront – £150 / £12.50 @ month. Travel insurance will bring it down for us to about £100 a year. A bit of shopping via 6 x selected retailers should bring you down to £5 @ month or even less.

• Harry T says:

@Secret Squirrel
        Thanks, appreciate the breakdown.

I suppose there is an opportunity cost related to spending at those retailers when the expenditure could go on Amex.

What underlying cards are you using? I’ve only got the Virgin Rewards + and free IHG. With VS looking precarious, I’m not sure the numbers will work for me.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Agree, think 1k MR on gold or 1.5k via BAPP difference of £10 / £15 based on 1p (good point)
          Depends how much you also spend at the selected retailers. 1k at Amazon – £10 back.
          I use Virgin free card + IHG premium @ 30k a month.

• Secret Squirrel says:

I’ve got the upgrade to Virgin + card email sitting in my inbox but dont want to push the button until we know more what happening with VS.
            Add in the VS+ £160 annual fee & Curve metal – £150 + IHG Premium – £99 its all starting to mount up.😭

• Michael Keneally says:

Patel bullshitting whilst standing on an orange box at todays briefing, no relaxation of the rules, all the while the economy goes down the pan.

• TGLoyalty says:

Businesses are adapting and more and more people are going back to work aswell …

• Kev 85 says:

Were you expecting a relaxation of the rules today?

• Rum says:

Has anyone applied for and been accepted for an IHG credit card in the last month or so? Just wondering if they’re even issuing the white card these days

• Harry T says:

Yep, applied about a month ago when they were offering the increased bonus on the white IHG card.

• Rum says:

Thanks for replying, Harry.
        Did you get accepted and have you received card, PIN etc?

• Harry T says:

Yes, got accepted and received the card, pin etc. Though the supplementary card is taking forever.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Donthold your breath on the Supp card. I requested one during application over 3 x months ago, nothing ever arrived and not calling up as card in drawer now.

• Rum says:

Ok great. So it looks like they are still operating. Did you ever hold any card with them before?

• Harry T says:

@SS typical Creation. Not sure I have the mental fortitude to ring them.

• Harry T says:

@Rum
          No, I’ve never had a Creation or IHG card before. Their eligibility checker used to reject me randomly (I have numerous credit cards and a decent income).

• Rum says:

Yes me too but because I had the black a while ago they are rejecting me on both the eligibility checker

• Secret Squirrel says:

@Rum – I held the IHG Premium before applying for the White card all accepted.

• @mkcol says:

I’ve not had the increased bonus, however the 10000 standard has appeared.
        I will be keeping a close eye on it.

• Chris K says:

Not spending much at the moment, but had a bill come in for £3,400.

What are people’s thoughts on best to use out of:
    Hilton Barclaycard
    IHG premium creation
    HSBC Premier MasterCard (free card)
    Lloyd’s Avios

Not likely to hit IHG Spire on spending this year, but may still be best in terms of % value? I have BAPP but I don’t think this type of business is likely to take Amex…