Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Monday 27th April

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/04/27/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-monday-27th-april/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (244)

• Ronald Jeremy says:

Boris Johnson has declared the lockdown must stay in place and that he “cannot spell out now how fast, or slow, or when changes will be made”.

Mr Johnson said modifications would be announced in due course “with the maximum possible transparency”, … Transparency Hmmmm, not one of the PM’s greatest traits judging by his past history, the guy can’t even answer a straight question about how many children he has.

( Answer is 6 by the way, soon to be 7)

• J says:

Good luck to anyone hoping for a summer holiday abroad :/

• Crafty says:

Anyone still thinking this is realistic is hopelessly deluded.

• Rob says:

Nothing is stopping you leaving the UK. The question is who will let you in. Wizz is restarting UK flights from 1st May.

• Crafty says:

Well, the advisory against non-essential travel for one thing. And the FCO advisory against all international travel for another.

• TGLoyalty says:

The advisory doesn’t stop you it’s advice not law.

• Crafty says:

It stops any reasonable person who believes in the common good.

• Kev 85 says:

“ Anyone still thinking this is realistic is hopelessly deluded.”

Is there even anyone who knows thinks this? Surely not?

• Rum says:

I’ve played the idea again and again in my head and it sends shivers down my spine. Seriously hoping this is not the case…

• mark2 says:

Well thank you; that was really worrying me.

• BJ says:

Who is the 6th? I thought he had four with his wife and one with his mistress.

• Lady London says:

Keep up, @BJ! 🙂 Now he has one on the way with his fiance as well.

Given the amount we (and presumably his wife) heard about the variety of people involved, I always thought that indicative of lack of organisation skills.

I wish him well because we need a strong Prime Minister. Not sure I’m interpreting the graphs correctly. I must be missing something because yahoo’s graph today just showed infections accelerating even though lockdown is 5 weeks now.

I think people under 50 have to goback first, then3 weeks while we see if hospitals are swampled, then those under 65, review in another 3 weeks. Think about children and schools AFTER that not before. Children do nothing but transmit diseases especially when they go to school every day. So they should be last. And meanwhile I’m sorry if anyone’sovfer70 but they need to keep staying home and seeing nobody totheextent possible…for at least 3-6 months while we try to let this thing settle.

Boris has had half the population of New York land and filter into the UK while we are all locked down. Could this be a clue why the graph looks so bad?

• BJ says:

I rely on my mum, who relies on the Sun, for such details 🙂 For the moment she seems more interested in the Windsors than the Johnsons.

I despair of the UK response to managing the crisis. Considering they had a little more time on their hands to learn from others, prepare, and respond better, I fear they have probably done worse than any other country in Europe. Whether by accident, incompetence or design I am undecided. I have little confidence in them to get the timing and the nature of the exit strategy right. I think that decision will be made on basis of what is best for London, regardless of the implication for the rest of England, Scotland and Wales. I am concerned about misinformation; particularly their failure to provide reliable information on deaths in care homes and at home in England and Wales. I believe they are playing politics with the crisis much the same as Trump, only they are doing so much more effectively than he will ever be capable of doing.

• Harry T says:

@BJ agree very strongly – I think we have similar political views.

• BJ says:

@Harry T, despite my comments I don’t have party political leanings. I’m equally frustrated by the extreme right and the extreme left, and the tribal nature of British politics. I’d rather see a model such as they have in Germany that favours checks and balances, and a search for a middle way that avoids large swings in ideology and economy. As a whole I think our society should strive for an ‘I’m ok, you’re ok’ ethos which is what I think we more or less had regardless of political hues until somebody came along and claimed there was no such thing as society. Ever since then, it has been downhill all the way, the ethos now more akin to ‘I’m ok, **** you’ in many respects. Covid-19 is a leveller, one potential good thing that could result from it is that we might become a kinder, gentler, more caring society again if only the politicians would let us. Perhaps I’m just a dreamer. Always wondered how @Lady London really thinks, her comments are at times intriguing and contradictory but then I thin she thinks the same of mine 🙂

• Spaghetti Town says:

Like the USA, we wanted to keep the country open as long as possible as we’re capitalists.

The real mistake was letting flights continue to land from italy, Iran and New York without some sort of quarantine and testing.

Originally it was all hands on deck when the first rescue flights came in from Wuhan.

• Harry T says:

@BJ yeah, I would say I’m a centrist. I think Labour has gone too far to the left (I have high hopes for Starmer though) and the Tories have become nationalistic populists – too far to the right.

I agree that the UK now seems to relish divisive politics and conflict, when before we seemed more tolerant and sensible. I would like to see a government make genuine attempts to fund the health service and strive for wealth and social equality. Watching Jacinda Ardern of NZ appeal for kindness and working together made me realise how broken our country has become. I fear a little for the UK’s future.

• Secret Squirrel says:

@LL:
          I’m not a high roller / rich. I did get accepted for the IHG Premium card. Not sure about BJ though?

• BJ says:

I applied for IHG white a couple of years ago and got rejected. They claimed it was because they couldn’t verify my identity and address despite electoral roll etc.. Based on comments at the time I thought it was because my income was too high and they could not make money from me. Tried again for the white this year when bonus hit 20k. Was selective about income I declared but got accepted with a £1000 credit limit, lowest I ever had by over an order of magnitude 🙂 Didn’t care though, banked the 20k and will use it regularly in hope the other card comes back with a higher bonus so I can sign up for it too.

• Harry T says:

@BJ
            I’m definitely less wealthy than you and I received a £5000 credit limit for the white card. Kept failing the eligibility checker for both cards though. Managed to somehow be eligible for white the day before the 20k offer ended. tried to get black card the day before it was withdrawn but failed eligibility checker again so it wouldn’t let me apply.

I will be the first to apply if the Black comes back and I’m eligible. I like staying at the IC Amsterdam.

• Eleanor says:

I’m optimistically booking a trip to HK/Tokyo for next April. I have a BA companion voucher to use.
    I’ve had no problem booking LHR – HKG, I’m waiting for the return leg to become available to book.

Issue I have is HKG – HND (Tokyo). I would like to book with Avios (I know it isn’t covered with BA companion voucher) as the cost of a one way journey for 2 during cherry blossom season is £££.
    Currently there is available on BA.com for JAL which appears daily. However for Cathay Pacific (what I would prefer to book) there is no availability for 17th March 2021 onwards. This hasn’t changed for a week. Does anyone know anything about this? Do CP not release reward availability to BA daily?
    Many thanks.

• Eleanor says:

I have just checked again for the 100th time today and availability has magically appeared! Ignore previous post!

• Lesley says:

Hi. My daughter has just been informed her BA flight to Prague on 30 June has been cancelled. This was booked as a multi centre return flight, ie to Prague but returning from Split (inter railing trip). The Split flight (15 July) hasn’t been mentioned or cancelled. She would like a refund but doesn’t want to be left with a one way ticket from Split back to Heathrow. Also, the booking is for 6, how does the refund/voucher work? Will it be a refund/voucher for each person or one lump sum refund/voucher? Thanks