Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Monday 27th April

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/04/27/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-monday-27th-april/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (244)

• Toby says:

For some reason I keep getting the desktop version this morning! iOS 13.3 if it helps!

Many thanks again 🙂

• Rob says:

Did you click ‘View Full Site’ at the bottom of the mobile page in error? No other reports.

• Ed says:

RE spending Virgin miles

I’ve seen conflicting points about S.75 cover when you have a ticket booked using miles.

Some seem to suggest that as long as the notional value of the flights (i.e. the cost of the flight if you were to purchase it for cash) needs to be over £100 for S.75 protection. This would mean that you have protection when buying an upper class flight from Hong Kong to London on VS when putting the c.£35 fees on a credit card and spending miles.

Others are suggesting that the scenario above would not quality for S.75 protection as the fees for the flight are not in excess of £100/person.

Does anyone have a definite answer on this. Thanks.

• Doug M says:

Your analysis is correct, and no one knows. There are those that post as if this is absolutely certain, but no one to my knowledge has pointed to an example of this. What they offer is their own interpretation of the rules. If you’re concerned about losing the miles then book, you have little to lose other than the cancellation fee if you don’t want to fly. If the S75 protection is there and VS fail then it could be a big win.

• Genghis says:

There is the example in the FOS newsletter re the ferry company going bust and the card co being liable to consequential loss, but this was for a few quid. No one has (yet) come up with any actual examples of a credit card company buying a person another business class flight…

• Doug M says:

Those things are a great read, some poor behaviour by card companies, and some right chancer moves too. But is a Ferry Carnet in any way comparable to a flight funded primarily with loyalty points?
          I not saying I’m right, but I don’t like the way some people post the method as if it’s a watertight way of getting value from your FC miles in the event of VS failing.

• Ed says:

Thanks both.

This week I’ll probably book some tickets using VS miles and, if it sadly does come to it, I’ll feedback on how S.75 works out.

• Doug M says:

You cashed out to Hilton previously didn’t you?

• Genghis says:

Yep. I was “happy” taking the c.50% haircut. Let’s see if it was the right decision…

• Spaghetti Town says:

I think we still have some more time before it’s time to jump ship. There could be some interested parties in Virgin.

• Lady London says:

@Dawn’s card company did. I think others have reported this resolution too. In Dawn’s case the replacement ticket provided by cardco cost considerably more as well.

• Lyn says:

Weren’t Dawn’s flights booked through Flight Centre though? So they would have been cash flights, rather than mileage awards?

• Claire says:

Has anyone else received a refund from Curve overnight for a Curve fronted charge? Any news on whether they have had to refund people because they didnt give 2 months notice for the change? I woke up to see my recent Curve fronted transaction charges have been refunded??

• Secret Squirrel says:

Did you proceed with a Curve fronted transaction after they warned of the 1.5% fee?

• Claire says:

Yes, it said I had to turn on Curve fronted and I warned of the charge.

• Claire says:

My notification said that the fee for the transaction had been refunded but in the app it shows that the transaction amount has been refunded and not the fee?? Anyone else having this issue??

• Hugh says:

Rob, you tweeted yesterday that the 99p audible deal was back but it doesn’t seem to be! Do you know if it will return?

• BJ says:

Will just add a reminder in here that the 2 month Kindle Unlimited offer ending in a few days. For those who prefer unabridged books to audibles, you could consider kindle editions with text to speech enabled. There is a quality trade off though.

• Rob says:

If it doesn’t show for you then you don’t qualify. I just clicked through now and it shows the ‘3 months for 99p’ offer for me. Will give Kindle another plug as well.

• Wally1976 says:

Anyone else having intermittent trouble logging in to IHG in last couple of days?

• G says:

Yes, last night app was having issues but website was fine. This morning both working fine for me

• TGLoyalty says:

Yes I had issues yesterday and now it’s fine and ambassador status extended 3 months, though weekend night voucher hasn’t been 🤷🏽‍♂️

I imagine it’s unavailable as they run their update scripts.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Yep, App was playing up for me for a few days. Had to sign out & back in then all was fine.

• Baji Nahid says:

Yep! At times it would say that I need to wait 30 minutes to log onto the website. It is something dodgy their end and I flagged this up with the advisor.

• Lyn says:

Yes, yesterday accessing their web-site using Firefox. It works today

• S says:

Is converting virgin points for virgin wine a decent offer – I see 25k = £100 of wine – not the best conversion but it’s better than nowt. Any advice on how to get value out of points now? Cheers

• TGLoyalty says:

Is it really £100 of wine or can’t you get those bottles cheaper elsewhere?

A good deal is subjective you’ll get a better deal if you save them for a premium redemption (£250) and some value out of Hilton (£150).

But VS might go bust so 1 is useless, you might not collect Hilton so 2 is useless and getting £75 worth of wine is better than nothing.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Agree, I’ve never had the value they quote on wine boxes. Some are good, some ropey. I would say £50 worth for £100 to be on the safe side.

• Secret Squirrel says:

SMS or WA them to transfer out, IHG is supposed to be quicker than HH.

• Charlieface says:

What about booking a flight wouldn’t that be the best use? 25k for £100 is very poor.

• Rum says:

Rob I thought you were due an article this past weekend on the double points for Amex Platinum charge card It never happened though!

• Paul says:

Does anyone have experience of trying an S75 claim with Amex against Amex Travel? Had flights booked via them with Aerolineas Argentinas, on a fully refundable fare. In any case, one of the flights (single ticket, 2 flights with a connection) was — unsurprisingly — cancelled and I called to cancel my booking prior to departure. Must say Amex Travel were super helpful but deferred to the airline policy, and only offered a voucher. I held my ground and, seemingly purely on the basis it was always a refundable rate, they did agree to a refund, but it’s been about 6 weeks now. Wondering whether to be patient, hassle, or try the S75 option. Keen not to annoy Amex, their staff have been helpful and I still need them onside to help with the refund if the claim doesn’t work.

• Mac D says:

Refundable rate = no brainer refund.

Don’t be afraid to hassle them about the refund I am sure they would if you owed them money