Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Monday 27th April

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/04/27/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-monday-27th-april/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (244)

• ammar says:

Hi
    Does anyone have details of how to contact BA Refund Helper on Flyertak? I know that many people have been successful there in getting assistance, every time i call the 0800 number I get cut off.
    Regards

• rams1981 says:

Send them a PM. On my last query they replied the cancelled flight in mid May was too far away and couldn’t help.

• Ammar says:

Thanks. My request is to with a flight cancelled in Mid April that I have not recieved the refund of my taxes for, have got the avios back. BA cancelled the flight.
        Sorry, but do you have the link to flyer talk with the ba refund helpers email/contact link as I cant find it.

• rams1981 says:

Just type “BA refund helper” in the To box of a new PM and the name populates.

• Sean says:

BA refund helper can generally help with the avios/241s but the taxes go elsewhere and they have little control over that side. So if itis the taxes you await unlikely they can help.

• Ammar says:

Thanks Sean 👍. Will persevere with the telephone helpline.

• Anna says:

No – got my “taxes” back for me weeks after the avios and 2 4 1 were refunded.

• Anna says:

Data point – payment to Dell went through on Friday (£100 off £750 spend), £100 credited yesterday! I think that’s the fastest I’ve ever had an Amex offer honoured.

• Andrew says:

Yes, they seem to be quick at the moment – must be a lack of use. The M&S giftcard offer was just a couple of days too.

• Farah says:

Hi
    Just checked detail of my delta flight to Boston end of June – and they have changed the times and origin of flight from LGW to LHR. Booked the flight via amex travel. Can i request a full refund as they have changed the times of the flight and origin of flight or will they just offer a credit?

• Baji Nahid says:

yeah you get a full refund in this case as they changed the times/origins

• Anna says:

Double check on the origin – BA has been known to lump all “London” airports together, I don’t know if other airlines do this.

• Lyn says:

As Anna says, Delta may not consider this a change of origin. A refund based on the time change would depend on how many hours/minutes the schedule has been changed by. Individual airlines have different rules. You should be able to find their refund policy if you do a general search or look on their web-site.

• Anna says:

Does anyone want to hazard a guess on when (or if) BA’s IT will return to normal for cancelling new award bookings? I’m not a big speculative booker but occasionally I will book a “back up” if I can’t get my first choice of cabin/route straight away. At present though it’s not worth risking the delay in getting Avios and companion vouchers back.

• Doug M says:

Being perhaps unhelpful but the answer is when they think the additional cost of the call centre outweighs the importance of retaining cash. My guess would be only when some sort of (what then passes for) normality returns. September earliest I’d say, maybe the EU will order that any artificial obstructions placed in the way of legitimate refunds are removed, but I think it’s more likely they’ll bow to pressure and allow vouchers.

• BJ says:

Since I like guessing…when the following 6 tests are all met –

1. Virgin is toast.
      2. They get a £9billion loan from your great grandchildren.
      3. FCO relaxes travel advice for 4 continents.
      4. Ivanka’s daughter allows Brits into the USA without certificate or quarantine
      5. 75% of their existing fleet is back in the air
      6. A comprehensive Brexit trade deal with Tuvalu is done.

• @mkcol says:

Is it possible to buy discounted Amazon gift cards at Morrisons to then do my Prime Now shop fulfilled at Morrisons?

• mark2 says:

The cards at Morison’s are the same as anywhere else. Can you use gift cards to pay for Prime Now?probably

• Secret Squirrel says:

Have you got discounted GC’s – where and how?

• Coucou says:

RE: AMEX BA Premium retention offers
    I’m due for renewal soon and considering downgrading or closing. Does anyone have any idea if there any offers by AMEX to pursue you to keep it?

• J says:

For any plane geeks or photography fans thought this was a cool picture at the old Hong Kong Airport!

• Ian says:

FT today:

Norwegian said on Monday that its base case was that its fleet would remain fully grounded until April 2021, apart from the seven aircraft currently flying in Norway.

It would then begin a gradual ramp-up of both its European short-haul and long-haul operations to the US and Asia over the rest of 2021 before normal activity returns in January 2022.

As well as its base case of a full recovery in 2022, the airline added two other scenarios: an early recovery starting in the third quarter of this year, with short-haul back to normal in the third quarter of 2021 and long haul in 2022; and a sustained grounding of its fleet

• Rob says:

You can’t argue they’re being too optimistic!

• BJ says:

Rob, have you come across any info as to the safety implications for all these aircraft all over the world being parked idle long term? It’s the opposite of the usual where they spend much more time in the air than on the ground.

• Rob says:

It is not so rare that aircraft are not used for considerable chunks of time. There are very specific pieces of work which have to be done before they can fly again. Same applies to pilots and crew.