The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 28th April

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/04/28/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-28th-april/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

'My Favourite Hotel' review - The Grand Hotel Lviv in Ukraine
SeatSpy 'officially' launches, adds premium tiers and availablility searches for Air France and KLM

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Waddle says:

So I applied to upgrade my Green to Platinum to bag the 20k bonus and 2MR per £ at the moment. (Weird time, I know, but I have a large purchase and have been taking Addison Lee rides anyway so think I can make it work for three months). Anyway I didn’t get an instant decision so I waited over the weekend (applied on Friday) and phoned the new accounts team yesterday who told me it was in the “last stages” and to call again today. So I did and was told to wait further because of reduced workeforce. Are there any readers with or had pending applications during the COVID-19 period – if so how long did it take before you got a decision?

• I’d be interested to hear how you get on, Waddle

• Crafty says:

We had our Green to Plat take longer than expected. certainly over a week. Received the Plat 2 weeks ago.

2. Nick_C says:

Presumably BA won’t be making staff redundant right now while furlough is available.

Although I acknowledge that BA needs to slim down dramatically to survive and adapt to the new normal.

• Mixed Fleet crew have poor contracts, high staff turnover anyway many will have been with BA for less than 2 years. They don’t get paid a lot though.

• Roguemale says:

Nick,
      IAG first quarter statement just out…not pretty.
      Re-structuring and redundancies….one of whom may be the hedging guy by the look of the numbers!
      Ouch
      RM.

• And there’s the crux of the Virgin Atlantic problem – do you save Virgin jobs, or save BA jobs?

Since they compete on the same routes, and there won’t be enough business for both for the foreseeable future….

Form a taxpayer point of view, maybe lose the jobs where you would have to put the most cash in?

(of course, the counter argument is that BA will – as soon as Virgin goes – ask for cash anyway.)

3. Re Virgin Flying Club – can anyone remind me (or point me in direction of an article) about how to exchange Virgin Miles for vouchers? And can these vouchers be used for virgin wine club does anyone know?
    Thank you!

• You need to call or use the SMS or WhatsApp service. Virgin Wines is a partner, yes.

• Paul74 says:

The text service seems to be working well, so far. I texted the number on the Virgin website on Sunday and got the request (to move most of my miles, 100k, to Hilton) actioned on 48 hours.
        I say so far, given myself a reminder to check at the end of time advised.
        I tended to value my Virgin miles at a notional 0.75p as they didn’t offer the same redemption opportunities as avios, so I don’t feel to sorry about my decision to cut losses and move them to HH. Cheers, keep well everyone.

• thank you!

4. Baji Nahid says:

Im waiting to see if they will up the bonuses for referrals for the Free BA card but also see if they increase bonus points for adding supplementary card holders.

• Secret Squirrel says:

I dought that, atleast on the free card!
      Anyone called up to see if any offers are forthcoming from amex on closing BAPP?

• Harry T says:

No one offered me anything when I cancelled mine (wouldn’t have cared anyway – was 8000 Avios in the red or something).

• Secret Squirrel says:

Smart move. I cancelled the free BA card as will be 4k under. Opened up a new BAPP soon after using referral.😉

• Harry T says:

@SS
            Smart idea!

It was @BJ’s idea to cancel my card so I can’t take the credit.

5. happeemonkee says:

Just received this from Curve

Exciting news!

Curve is growing up and bringing its e-Money services in-house and moving away from Wirecard Card Solutions, your e-money issuer under the current terms. This change has no impact on how you currently use Curve, however we are required to inform you of this operational change which we expect will take effect 28 June 2020.

Please read the our updated Curve Terms that show Curve as the e-Money issuer (with Firm Reference Number 900926). If we don’t hear from you within the next 60 days, we assume you are happy to continue with us on our exciting journey and we will transfer your account to us.

What are the important things I need to know?

Even though the terms look slightly different, the way you use the product is the same. Your Curve card and the Curve OS platform will still work the same way. We have also taken the opportunity to clarify and make the language in the new terms easier to understand.

As we go through the process, we will make FAQs available to you on our website.

Looking forward to continuing to serve you as our customer.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Anyone know if e-money transactions going in-house could cause issues with our hobby?

• Wirecard were catching a lot of attention of the regulators, so Curve got out before any bad (or badder) news got out into the community

6. Connor says:

Been reading the new Curve T&C’s. Some notable changes.

Bye bye Wirecard, hello Curve in-house
    New £5 delivery fee for Blue cards
    First 10 cash withdrawals from an ATM are free, 50p after this, applies to ALL cards.
    Curve cash expires after 6 months – might have already been a thing?

• i wonder if Curve will now accept applications from those resident in Channels Islands & Isle of Man ?

• 10 per what? Year? Even for Metal? That’s crazy.

God’s sake. Curve really behave like the Wild West hiding contractual changes like this.

• Ouf yes I quite agree!
        First no Amex support, refunds take years (alright, a week but its’ still too long) and their customer service is like drawing blood from a door mat. Who do they think they are to water down their service like this?
        I may have to reconsider even sticking to blue at this rate.

• I don’t trust the muppets with a barge pole. The whole recent ‘1.5% fee’ not for metal card holders is just bait and switch. In a few months time that will be for metal cardholders too. And blamed on Covid19. Or Brexit. Or my dog ate the homework.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Would like to know that also Don.
        Can anyone confirm these are NEW terms as if they’ve always been there its the same as Dec stating charges 1.5%.