The new HFP chat thread – Monday 4th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/04/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-monday-4th-may/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

'My Favourite Hotel' review - Hilton Budapest
Amex Gold now has a 20,000 point bonus and you have six months to earn it - should you apply?

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Reader J says:

Just called TAP Portugal to get a refund for an upcoming trip to Madeira. They only want to give an eVoucher. Is there no way to get a cash refund? Amex chargeback?

• Anna says:

Have they cancelled it or are you doing it pre-emptively?

• Reader J says:

They haven’t cancelled yet, though the outbound is on 20/05.

• Anna says:

I think you’re only entitled to a cash refund if they cancel first. Are they cancelling earlier flights to Madeira do you know? If you can get an idea of whether TAP is likely to cancel nearer the time, you might want to wait a bit.

• marcw says:

Chargeback.

• Doug M says:

Not if they haven’t cancelled the flight.

• marcw says:

Yes, that´s correct. I assumed, wrongly, that flight was cancelled. Also, TAP is planning to restart operations in 2 weeks time. Portugal has lifted already the state or emergency.

• They cancelled my flight and said it was e voucher. Did a chargeback on my Amex platinum and money was in my account a couple of days later.

• Anna says:

The flight hasn’t been cancelled so nothing to charge back for yet!

2. Heathrow Express Fixed day ticket – did anyone manage to get a refund, or are they just doing date changes as stated on their website? I guess chargeback is not applicable as trains are still running.

• The Lord says:

Got a date change email for one of my bookings. In fairness I got the email within a couple of hours of submitting online. Don’t have to provide the future date of travel yet, you are issued a voucher.

3. The Original Nick says:

Eurostar trip to Lille from St Pancras on the 16th May is now showing no seats left. Really? I’m booked to depart the 16th and return on the 17th and both are showing no seats left and no other trains runnning that day. That tells me that the train has been cancelled but I’ve had no confirmation of either being cancelled. How do you do a charge back on my Amex card? Or is it not possible?

• TGLoyalty says:

They may have consolidated all passengers onto the trains you were booked on to or because of reduced max capacity they really are now sold out etc

Until you actually have confirmation your train is cancelled you won’t have a valid chargeback claim.

• Doug M says:

I thought that there were no trains to/fom Lille at the moment. It’s London Paris only, no stops.

• Doug M says:

Travel to or from Ashford, Ebbsfleet, Lille and Calais
        Whilst operating a reduced timetable, we regret to advise that we will not be able to operate to and from Ashford International, Ebbsfleet International, Calais Fréthun and Lille Europe stations for a temporary period.

Customers with tickets to or from Ashford International or Ebbsfleet International will be able to depart from London using their Eurostar tickets to transfer to and from St Pancras International via South Eastern rail services.
        Customers with tickets to or from Lille Europe who still need to travel can do so to or from Paris Gare du Nord instead. Tickets are valid for travel on a TGV train between Paris and Lille Flandres.

• The Original Nick says:

So why haven’t I received confirmation of the train being cancelled? It’s all very cagey

• Doug M says:

Because that confirmation would allow you to ask for a refund. Eurostar are only publishing the timetable one day in advance, your train is almost certainly cancelled, and if it was the one or two a day they run it won’t stop at Lille as things stand. If they don’t confirm this you don’t have the right to a refund. It’s just a further tactic being used to retain cash. I have a train to Paris this Wednesday, as yet it’s not cancelled, so I can’t ask for a refund. They continually offer rebooking or credit, but that’s not what I want. Tomorrow they’ll almost certainly cancel and I’ll ask for a refund.

4. Ammar says:

My sister booked a flight via amex travel. They have emailed her today stating that her original flight is non operational and issued new flight details from Heathrow instead of Gatwick. When she called the amex travel agent they stated despite the time change and change of origin of flight, she would not be eligible for a refund as delta count Gatwick and Heathrow as part of London. Does she have any argument for a refund under ec261? She paid with an amex credit card.

• Anna says:

It’s known that airlines count all the London airports as one departure point, so your sister might struggle claiming on those grounds. What is the time difference and what is Delta’s policy in respect of time changes?

• Ammar says:

Flights leave 2 hrs early on outbound and return. I will check the policy. Thanks m

• TGLoyalty says:

When is this flight booked for and did she have travel insurance prior to March?

• This is covered clearly in EC261. Read the Reg.

• Pangolin says:

If the flight number changes then right of refund is guaranteed, regardless of what they claim

5. Baji Nahid says:

Bought tesco pet insurance on the 30th of March, the points haven’t been added to my account and its been 35 days.

Anyone else in the same boat? Wondering if i should call them up

• Secret Squirrel says:

Called up today and requested a full refund from BA for cancelled flights. How long does it take to receive any emails confirming the refund is being actioned?

• Stuart says:

I rang on Friday to cancel a flight and the money was credited to my card today. The email was received just after the call had ended

• Secret Squirrel says:

No emails but AVIOS & 241 credited so it’s being processed.
          Got to say You First line was very quick & professional.

• I am in an almost identical boat to you. I purchased Tesco Pet Insurance on 31st March and still no points either yet.

• Leigh says:

Just checked my account: points were credited on the 29th of April – purchased the pet insurance on the 16th of March.

• Secret Squirrel says:

No points received from early Feb.

• Reeferman says:

Same here – I took pet insurance on 30th March and still no points. Just checked my Tesco Club account and it says points collected up to 7th May will appear on the May statement – available on 18th May apparently

6. Bill says:
    • Colin MacKinnon says:

For those of us who don’t tweet, or have forgotten the login on a device they don’t often use, a short summary of what you are referring to is useful!

• Grant says:

*news* looking like the @VirginAtlantic B747 fleet is indeed being congregated at @manairport, with G-VROS leaving @HeathrowAirport tomorrow and arriving at MAN 1300. #manchester #virginatlantic