Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 5th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/05/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-5th-may/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (182)

• Nick says:

Aer Lingus review after packed Belfast – London flight complaint.
    BBC News

• n_g says:

What exactly are they expecting flying from Belfast to London for work?

• Secret Squirrel says:

Just seen the video clip on the BBC news. Looked like any other day pre virus times, all passengers seated next to each other, no facemask…😣

• TGLoyalty says:

The middle seat being free does not mean there is any social distancing. The person infront and behind is well within 2m

If you choose to fly then then this is the risk you take just like any other day when anyone on any flight could be carrying any other infectious disease

• John says:

They’re not playing the victim, they’re trying to keep their jobs, post-virus peak. And the government’s trying to ensure there’s still some sort of long-term functioning transport system.

Grant Schapps chucked £5.7 million in emergency grant funding to Belfast City George Best (BHD) and City of Derry (LDY) last week.

Both are privately owned (Dublin, which is also still operating, is state controlled) and Schapps wanted to keep passenger services operating.

LDY is down to a daily Loganair flight to Stansted.

IAG pulled all BA services, with EI supposedly taking up the slack, but – as the photos showed a lot of people still have to fly (there being a definite shortage of alternatives like trains between the islands).

Would guess majority will be civil servants working in infrastructure, security, health areas actually. Zoom isn’t always effective/appropriate.

Certainly IAG should look at restoring more capacity between BHD-LHR sooner than it probably intended to.

(Easyjet base BFS incidentally didn’t get money from.Schapps – yet – as all passenger flights suspended, and only cargo operating).

• Secret Squirrel says:

Do not airlines have a duty of care for its passengers and crew on-board?

• Andrew says:

The biggest faff when boarding a plane is the hand luggage.

Stressed people marching up and down trying to find a space for their bags, or holding up boarding.

I suspect an outcome from this might well be the slashing of permitted bag sizes. BA is very generous at 56x45x23. Might we see this reduced to 55x35x20 or smaller? Or even a return to hold luggage with self bag drop and social distancing becoming the airport’s problem at arrivals rather than the airline?

• Mark says:

Had the first edition of Conde Nast turn up yesterday at only £1 it was a fab price for the 6 month subscription.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Can anyone post for me the Whatsapp number for Virgin flying club please. Tried SMS this morning but the reply was to call them. Thx

• Wally1976 says:

It’s the same number a the SMS one.

• Secret Squirrel says:

No, didn’t work. Think there was something about different numbers at the start?

• BJ says:

Yes, just call them. Took me less than 15 minutes to get through and it was all sorted. By contrast I only got a reply to my text that I sent on Thursday last night.

• Secret Squirrel says:

What time did you call up BJ as 15 mins is good.

• BJ says:

@Secret I think it was late afternoon. If you check time of Baji’s comment on the chat article on Saturday or Sunday then it was just after that.

• Doug M says:

Whatsapp is the regular phone number, not the mobile one.

• Navara says:

Do they deliver to your place in the sun

• Secret Squirrel says:

I signed up for this offer today for £1.00.
      It states a free digital version of one mag but you need to download the app only for iPhone / iPad.
      Done this but now it needs account no to set up account in the app. No account no only customer number not recognised?

• AJ says:

For those of you who may be interested, you are now able to redeem your Avios at Laithwaites which I notice came back online yesterday 😜

• Crafty says:

OT: Revolut is not allowing me to access any part of its app (including my money) until they have “verified” my card. This appears to be because of having added a replacement IHG card (now in married name) and attempted to top up. The problem is, nobody is attending the “chat” messages – presumably they’ve all been furloughed. This presumably means an indefinite wait to access my funds.

Has anybody else been put in this position? I have school fees to pay, which I would normally do from this account, so it is quite a pain.

• Anna says:

I’ve never had an issue when adding new cards, whether in my married or maiden name (I use both). Do you have another card linked to Revolut? I just wondered if you removed the new card you might be able to carry on using Revolut until they can resolve the problem with the new card.

• Lady London says:

Keep persisting and try chat in logical hours. They take ages to come back to you. People have had to wait not just days, but weeks or months for them to unblock accounts for trivial things that could easily be sorted out.

Also be sure to have on your phone or pc a picture of your face alongside your id – if Rebolut even f”RTS in your direction they will demand that over chat.

Btw if you push them they give you their address which is in the heart of Canary Wharf which I’m keeping in case one day I decide to steam down there and give them a piece of mind about their sh*t service. These Muppets called Revolut even think they can be a bank for heaven’s sake and actually trying to offer business accounts! With their response times you’d have to be nuts to put an operating business account with Revolut.

• Andrew says:

I find doorstepping businesses to be incredibly helpful in resolving problems.

Shadowing an individual through a passdoor at a major telecoms company and finding my way to the CEO office resulted in an Openreach Engineer on my elderly parent’s doorstep at 7am the following morning. Their landline and broadband, hadn’t been working for two weeks.

Turned away at the doorstep? Irritating. LinkedIn, Companies House and the Voters Roll is your friend, little bit of stalking, then plunk yourself down next to a company director on the train in the morning. They’ll be squirming and at your mercy as a consumer. You’ll have the attention of everyone else in the carriage too. Problem resolved by 10am that day the last time I had to do it.

With some firms, it sometimes feels like they’ve forgotten that their customers are real people and not just an entry on a database.

• Lady London says:

Excellent @Andrew. Have you really done all that? Hoping you never come after me…. 🙂

• Polly says:

I nabbed Gavin Patterson in our local Waitrose. He’s very hunky btw …He just lives up the road. We had BT engineers out saying nothing was wrong with our suddenly non wi fi house. His PA then phoned me that sat pm to arrange a decent engineer visit, who sorted it out in 20 mins. An experienced one, tho.

But l like Andrew’s approach. Brilliant!

• Anon says:

Loads of people on Flyertalk and Facebook would pay you to go to reading and find Ali Shah of TravelUp! 😀

• Chris says:

I’m so glad it’s not just me that’s done things like that. I went to the extent of going for a job interview in a call centre once with a electricity supplier to get into the building.

• Brighton Belle says:

+1 farcical bank. Hardly a bank at all. So many organisations won’t accept Revolut as a payment method. I only trust them with pocket money now.

• the_real_a says:

This is a very common problem with the fintechs. If you top up over 50p a year its likely at some point – generally at the most inconvenient moment – your account will be suspended, no-one will tell you, and you will be put through to the “compliance department” who will require paperwork to prove you are not working for a mexican drug cartel. Paperwork that would generally be considered burdensome for buying a second hand 737. Then after all that, they will close your account and not tell you why… in about 3 weeks you might find your cash returned to the original payment method, or you might need to file an ombudsman complaint.

• Craig says:

Someone mentioned a desire for new equipment on the LHR-BKK service a few days ago, booked the outbound this morning and is showing as a 78-9 with the new club suite. I’m aware it’s a long time ahead and it could change, but hey ho, lots could change between now and then. Just have to do the same in a couple of weeks and add the return.

• C F Frost says:

Will BA use Coronadowntime to accelerate their Club refurbishment?

• Lady London says:

You need to ask? Seriously? It involves spending money. Not much but BA still won’t do it. Just like (not) arranging for their filthy cabins to be cleaned properly and equipment like IFE, even seats that fail, to be fixed.

• Rhys says:

The money was never the issue, it was the production of the actual seats. And with only essential work in many places I doubt they’re getting made any faster….

• Rhys says:

It’s been like that a few months now – until October, when the winter schedule kicks in (which won’t have been finalised yet).

• Lost+confused says:

I’ve decided to cancel my amex platinum card as I can’t justify the fee now. Amex have suggested a downgrade to gold which I may do. However my partner doesn’t have any amex cards yet so I’m looking to get refer her for gold and then she can refer me to gold so she gets the bonus.
    Is this the most effective route or should she apply for a different card 1st?

• Lady London says:

You should refer her while you have Plat. Reason is referral reward is based on the referrers card no matter which one the referred person takes out.

For safety I think i would keep the Plat till they get the card approved and you see the reward incoming if you can. Others may know when the referral points actually hit.

• Anna says:

My OH referred me for a BAPP a few weeks ago, I was accepted immediately and the referral Avios hit his BAPP the next day!

• Lost+confused says:

Thanks LL. So is it best for her to get gold straight away or is there a benefit of getting a different card (green) and upgrading?

• Connor says:

Anyone had any experience of an Amex credit limit decrease?
    Just had an email saying the limit on my BAPP has been dropped from 13k to 5k due to “responsible lending practices” even though I have good credit, never missed a payment etc etc.

• Lady London says:

This is why I am saying to people if you may need a new credit line get it now as things will be tightening up in all sorts of ways in personal finance market and credit will be harder to get.

Have you asked them why? If you get an answer please tell us.ll

• Secret Squirrel says:

Timelines on upgrading free VS free card to Rewards plus card? Submission stated 2 x emails then ready to go. Been 3 x days and no 1st email yet!

• Rob says:

Credit costs them money. In simple terms, for every £1 of credit you are given, Amex has to keep a few pence on deposit so it can fund any spending spree you do. Cutting your limit means Amex frees up this cash.

At times when people are losing their jobs, you are also a risk to them. They don’t want you going on a spending spree you probably can’t repay if you suddenly have no income.

• Anna says:

A couple of weeks ago I was immediately approved for a new BAPP with a £19k limit, even though I am effectively retired and my OH is the main wage earner! Inconsistent to say the least.

• Remainder2 says:

Fly LEVEL.

Anyone any insight into what is going on with them? Due to fly Sun 17 May from Amsterdam to Luton. Still showing for sale. Looked at various routes and all off sale until Fri 16 and then on sale from Sat 16. Seems very unlikely they are planning to return to business as usual on Saturday but feels very late in the day to start cancelling.

Also seems vouchers only on offer for long haul not short haul.

Anyone got any more insight/thoughts?