Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 5th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/05/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-5th-may/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (182)

• Gary says:

Any update on the extension of (soon to expire) Lloyd’s Upgrade Vouchers?

• Matt says:

Got a 6-month extension to mine today via live chat on Avios.com

• David says:

When was your previous expiry? Previous feedback was that they were currently only considering extensions for April and May 2020 expirations. Further, are you able to use live chat if account closed (when transferred to BAEC)? I thought the only way to contact was by phone?

• Matt says:

I have an AerClub account so can still access Avios.com using that.

My voucher expired at the end of May, now valid to the end of November.

• New Card says:

My request via Live Chat to Avios.com for a 6 month extension was rejected on the basis that my voucher is expiring after 31 May. It seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction to me as I still will have had several fewer months to use the voucher.

• Ian says:

Does anyone know how far in advance airlines are cancelling flights? Is it a week before departure? A month? Somehwere inbetween?

Specifically looking at Aer Lingus and BA, as I have a flight booked with each at end of June.

Thanks in advance!

• Rob says:

Just started on June I believe.

• Reeferman says:

It’s also airport-specific.
      I had all my flights to/from LCY for June cancelled en-bloc on 25th April.
      Yesterday, I got an email telling me I could rebook my July (LCY) flight if I wished (BA trying to avoid a cash refund, clearly) – so I’m guessing they’re working on July cancellations as LCY shortly.

• Alex M says:

Can someone pls remind me – it’s The American Express® Rewards Credit Card that allows me to keep MR points for free (and potentially upgrade to Plat with 20 000 bonus later), right?

• Sandgrounder says:

It will protect your MR points if you merge the MR accounts, but it’s a credit card so you might want to ask about a downgrade instead to Gold charge (not the credit) if you intend to upgrade in the next year or so. It’s closed to new applications but being offered fee-free for 12 months as a downgrade option. You can’t downgrade/upgrade between credit and charge card options.

• Genghis says:

… but you can’t them upgrade to Plat.

• Alex M says:

but which one can i upgrade to Amex Plat to bag 20 000 MRs?

• TGLoyalty says:

Only green if it’s a fresh application or if you have a plat already you could downgrade to gold.

• Alex M says:

the thing is green card is not listed on the Amex website – did they drop it?

• Manny_D says:

The Green card is listed as “The American Express Card” on their website.

• CHRISTOPHER RUDDY says:

Anybody got experience of cancelling a Marriott reservation ? I know they have publicly said all reservations are now cancelable for full refund, including pre-pay rates. However, if I go to click on cancel on the website, it states my rate was non-refundable and I’ll lose my 100% deposit. What happens if I click “cancel” ?
    Data point, my BA flight to Tampa on 26th June was cancelled this morning, hence the query above.

• ankomonkey says:

I had a similar experience with Hilton yesterday. I used Hilton website Chat function and the agent cancelled it for me.

• CHRISTOPHER RUDDY says:

No chat function on Marriott, but I emailed a central reservation team, who passed on the request to the hotel direct, who replied immediately to say the reservation has been cancelled, and confirming I would receive a full refund, but it would take 6-8 weeks.

• marcw says:

Coronavirus: Virgin Atlantic to axe 3,000 jobs in battle for survival

“Virgin Atlantic’s restructuring is likely to be pitched by the airline’s management as an important step towards securing hundreds of millions of pounds of new funding from private investors or the government, according to one union source.”

• Jack says:

Looks like VS at LGW is going. Sad day given their history there but hardly surprising…

• Kip says:

LGW will come out of this severely depleted. They were pushing for the additional runway not long ago but look to be the airport most damaged. It looks short-haul only bar a few 2nd tier airlines in the next couple of years.

• ChrisBCN says:

LGW will not come out depleted (after travel has returned to normal in the next 12-18 months). Heathrow will be full again, Gatwick will just have a different set of airlines (losing Virgin and maybe BA, picking up Level and JetBlue and who knows who else).

• Paul Pogba says:

Will they need both terminals if BA and Virgin leave? Will Southend be viable if airlines shift flights to the spare capacity at Gatwick, Stansted and Luton?

• Heathrow Flyer says:

Sarfend is one of the cheapest London airfields to operate from – that could potentially prove to be a boon for any of the LCCs that stick it out there. LGW, by comparison, isn’t that cheap.

• ChrisBCN says:

Of course they will need both terminals, I’m not sure why you would think passenger numbers will drop that much when they will continue their long term rise (after this hiatus).

• Aston100 says:

Could anyone kindly advise which banks are offering money for switching? If none, then is there a recommendation for the most rewarding switch?

Seems I’ve missed the £175 Natwest offer.

Thanks

• Chrish says:

Banks “NOT” offering money for switching “UNLESS” its already in the process

• Aston100 says:

What does that mean?

• Chrish says:

if you started a switch but not yet completed they will honor it.
          But if you want to switch starting now. you can’t but if you wait you maybe able to at a later date

• Phil says:

Just successfully made a transaction with curve i’d expected to be charged the fee for.

It hasn’t shown up on my app or on my credit card statement. Does it get shown in some other way or can assume I got lucky this time?

• aDifferentSimon says:

Merchant category code?
      As far as I know, if you don’t have curve fronting on then no fee.